+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adult tonsillectomy

Adult tonsillectomy

Anyone here had their tonsils out as an adult? I just got the great news that I am up for a tonsillectomy and I am looking for some info. Of course I have browsed around on the web and been scared out of my wits that it will be like gargling with broken glass for three weeks, tons of blood, unbelievable pain etc... Then I thought ask people you trust to tell you the truth. (I called them and no one answered so here I am. Just kidding!)

So anyhow, what's the scoop, anyone been down that road? What should I expect? What kind of time off will I need? How long off should I ask my hubby to take off? (I have a four year old to care for if he is not here so...) What kind of pain meds did you have and anything else you think might be helpful.
    Thanks in advance. Corine
    Is probably over in the transcribing thread for Big Brother til death do us part.

"I don't trust that girl with a ten foot pole." - Annie
    Whhhhaaaaat? LMAO

I haven't had it done, Corine, but my best friend did. I hate to tell you this, but she said she would rather go through childbirth 10 times over than have her tonsils out again. And she had 30+ hours of labour with both her kids.

Apparently, you will be totally unable to look after your child for several days. And take the strongest painkillers you can get, at least tylenol 3's.

Sorry, but I don't like to sugarcoat stuff like that. Knowledge is power, though, so make sure you're well-armed with drugs and have someone to look after the little one. The up side of all this is that if you are looking to lose a few pounds, there's nothing like a tonsillectomy to go down a dress size or two.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oh great. Just what I feared hearing. I still have time to say no I guess. I can't believe they have all kinds of medical advances but not for this?? Crazy
    Is probably over in the transcribing thread for Big Brother til death do us part.

Whhhhaaaaat? LMAO

I had mine out when I was 21 Corine, and no it isn't fun but it sure beats the sicknesses I got from having them. The one major thing I wish I would have known prior to surgery is to expect to vomit blood, logically it makes sense, there is blood from the operation and it goes into your stomach which in turn cannot digest it, therefore there's only one way for it to get out. Stock up on soups, jellos etc for afterwards, I personally didn't eat for 3 days, was a good weight loss program but just remember you cannot suck through a straw for a few days. Dr. gave me codeine syrup for the pain which was nasty nasty stuff but it did the trick. All in all not a fun experience but I would do it again in a heartbeat as I have been sick a 1/10 of the time I was prior to. Good Luck with it Corine!

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    Hi - I "just" had mine out in June. I'm 33. Like imajunkie2 said it sure beats the horridness of before. I'm unable to take Any pain meds. Long - boring history. They had to be careful with what anaesthetic they gave me. The first seven days were really rough! But if I can get through it without pain meds then anyone should be able to make it. I got really worn down from not eating but I survived. Dehydration is the main cause of complications after the surgery. I forced myself the drink LOTS of water. With my medical history they said six week recovery. At six weeks I was at 80%. But normal folks should be at 80 by two weeks. After the two month mark it has all been great! I would do it again. Before I left the hospital they gave me a wondrous shot into the IV to help with the nausea. Huge help! Ask - say you get sick on the way home. Let us know if ant when you are doing this. Love to know how you are doing.

My girlfriend had this done at age 30. She said the pain was bad and she was wiped out for about a week. After that, she slowly got better but was still pretty weak and sore for another 2 weeks but was able to do more and swallow better each day.

The next winter however she noted that it paid off as she wasn't sick all the time any more like she was used to be.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

MRD
    had a friend that had it done at about 25 years old. She was out of work for a week, drank mostly liquids and popsicles and was on pain meds and didn't do too badly. She said it was worth it not to be be so sick all the time.

I just had MAJOR stomach surgery, so I would think a tonsillectomy would be a walk in the park compared to the first month after THAT. EGADS it was horrible, couldn't sleep laying down, had to have help on and off the toilet, was unable to eat, could barely walk. Give me tonsilletomy over that.

Good luck and hope yours is ok.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey
    Myrosiedog - I'm with you! I had major surgery 6 years ago to remove a tumor from my abdomen. I had NO idea just how much I used my abdominal muscles until then. The incision was bad - the inability to wear pants with a waistband for about 2 months. (thank God overalls were in back then!) The internal healing was even worse - especially when it got to the point after about a month when I felt better most of the time, but as soon as I forgot and tried to do something like stepping up on a high step - YIKES!

Corine, I had my tonsils out at 13, so I'm not much help on the concerns of having it done as an adult, which I know are tougher. But I have a friend who just had hers out at 32, and from comapring my experience to hers, I'd tell you the most important thing to do is to follow all the directions your doctor tells you. I don't know how much things have chance since I had mine out, but I had a doctor who encouraged me to really push myself to drink and eat popsicles, to make myself swallow. My friend avoided that, because it hurt. As a result, she was in misery with the scabs that formed. I didn't have any, because I did what my doctor told me to do. So just remember that what might hurt a bit is far better than the results of not doing it.

Thanks for all your great advice everyone. I have to admit that the being sick all the time part really sucks. And I work in a childcare centre so I am really sick all the time. I am still scared about it, I know I am a big baby but I guess I will have to suck it up. I know my hubby will have a tough time getting a bunch of time off (Navy) and looking after a 4 year old and throwing up blood etc sounds like tons of fun to me!
    I let you know when the time comes. I am still fighting this episode of strep, on the second batch of antibiotics with no improvement.
    Thanks again, I appriciate the help from my FORT friends!

Whhhhaaaaat? LMAO

Well, to all you lucky folks, I had mine out at 1.5 & again at 21... they grew back! I can't remember what it was like at 1 1/2, but 21 was awful. It was definitely worth it though since from 15 - 21, I had an almost bi-monthly bout of strep throat. I didn't throw up, but it's how you react to the anaesthetic - some people throw up, I bawl... Good luck, Corine.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

+ Reply to Thread