+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 126 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

I heard a story on Jay Leno last night. He said it was true. A couple went and bought extra gasoline at the current price because they heard it was going up in the next couple of days. They stored the extra gasoline in a closet in their apartment. The fumes caught on fire and they lost everything. Now that's expensive gasoline. Go figure.

I heard our government is considering a $300 incentive to get the gas guzzlers, and cars 15 years old, off the road. If you take it to the scrap yard, you get the money. Also, if you stop driving your car, you can use the money for a yearly transit pass. You can also use the money to buy a bicycle. City councils are also supposed to get an incentive to erect a lot more bicycle racks around the downtown area to encourage bike riding.

Good ideas, but there are no bicycle lanes to downtown; it's hard to keep your work clothes clean and fresh if you ride a bike to work any distance in the hot summer; you can't ride your bicycle during the winter and we're a winter city. How do parents pick up their children at school on a bicycle? Also, $300 doesn't help buy much of a new car, if you turn in your old one. My car is 21 years old and I'll be darned if I get taxed because of it. I hardly ever drive it and can't afford even a new mini or prius. I'm all for some good incentives, but there needs to be a bit more thought put into some ideas before they start handing out money that won't solve the problems in the long run.
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-07-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i agree.

riding a bike isn't an option for me ... in addition to living in a winter state (yuk), i'm mobility challenged ... i physically CAN'T ride it. i've already done all that i can to reduce how much gas i use, by not driving ANYWHERE except to work and back. not everyone can afford to go out and buy a hybrid like they seem to want us to do ... instead of pushing those as the only option, they need to either drill for oil in OUR country or cut the taxes ... SOMETHING.

We have a couple of road trips this week (see Koffee Klatch) and it will be interesting to see how much we have to pay for gas during the trip. I am curious to know how much we will pay in Nevada. It has got to be less than here in CA? Right???

according to the gasbuddy.com temperature map, it's cheaper, but not much.

USA National Gas Temperature Map

That's very interesting that it doesn't go any higher that < 4.33/gallon. We haven't been that low in quite some time.... It would be better if it broke it down a bit further. But it is interesting nonetheless. Does anyone know why gas is so cheap in the midwest??

actually, it's >4.33, (greater than, not less than)

but yeah, i've always wondered why it is so cheap in missouri and iowa.

as for the top prices on that map, it adjusts all the time, based on what prices are showing up on the site. just a month ago, the dark dark red was $4.00. so yeah, i got excited to see that my area moved from red to orange ... till i saw the scale changed.

you can enter your zip code and it will zoom in on gas stations in your area and you can see exactly what prices are being reported where. it's a pretty cool site.

Today on the news, the "big" announcement was that the national average reached $4.00 a gallon. Big deal -- it should be so "cheap" here . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3045481;
    Today on the news, the "big" announcement was that the national average reached $4.00 a gallon. Big deal -- it should be so "cheap" here . . .
    while we're not as high as california, we've been saying the same thing ... 'big deal, michigan has ALWAYS been higher than the national average by about 20 cents'

We are well on our way to having gas prices like they do in the UK..... unbelievable! $5.05 in some places here.... I'm going to start walking to the grocery store soon.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I heard on the news today that driving with your windows down around town saves gas, but that once you get "up to speed" on the highway or interstate the "drag" the wind creates actually costs you more MPG than if you were to have the air conditioning on.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread