+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 126 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 1251

Thread: Gas Prices

  1. #61
    Cy Young 2010 Mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Waiting for Spring
    Posts
    16,924
    Quote Originally Posted by video
    I saw on some documentary thing that there was a point when a gallon was around $5-6, I'm now guessing it was in the late 70's/early 80's according to some posts above.
    I'm guessing it was the early '70s if it ever was that much. I still remember people having to line up for hours to get gas. It was bizarre.

  2. #62
    Tada
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    133
    About $2.69, even higher for unleaded here (WA). :X And I thought $2.00 last year was ridiculous! Good thing I hate driving and take public transport mostly.

    And now people are saying "$3 is the new $2". I don't buy that for a second. It only took ONE YEAR to go to $3. That's a 50% increase.
    Last edited by Tada; 08-16-2005 at 03:44 PM.

  3. #63
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    Interesting, because we here in Colorado have only ethanolized gasoline, as per a mandate by the EPA. We also have gas prises that are cheaper than those for areas where gas isn't mixed with ethanol.

    http://www.coloradocorn.com/resources/ethanol/facts.htm
    Out here all the Arco/BP stations use gasohol. I tend to find that by and large, my car doesn't like it too much. It complains when I need to accellerate to Highway speed, and by not giving me the gas milage I am accostomed to getting.

    Even there, we are looking at $2.50-2.90 a gallon (for regular) depending on where you go (in Seattle).
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  4. #64
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by video
    I saw on some documentary thing that there was a point when a gallon was around $5-6, I'm now guessing it was in the late 70's/early 80's according to some posts above.
    I think they are talking about 'adjusted for inflation' prices, at least here in the US. I remember during the late 70's people were afraid gas would hit $1.00, but it never got quite there, at least in this area. I remember it got to 90-something cents. Of course we were used to paying 45 cents or something like that.
    As for todays prices, I don't like paying the price of gas, but what are you going to do? Besides, I see folks happily paying $30 for a T shirt, $50 and up for jeans, $30,000 and up for cars-- all easily avalialble for half the price. I realize many people, self included, have no alternative to driving, but I could drive a smaller car (and not necessarily a sub-compact) and save at least a third of my gas expense.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  5. #65
    Lab Eating Man agamergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hurricane Alley
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    I think they are talking about 'adjusted for inflation' prices, at least here in the US. I remember during the late 70's people were afraid gas would hit $1.00, but it never got quite there, at least in this area. I remember it got to 90-something cents. Of course we were used to paying 45 cents or something like that.
    As for todays prices, I don't like paying the price of gas, but what are you going to do? Besides, I see folks happily paying $30 for a T shirt, $50 and up for jeans, $30,000 and up for cars-- all easily avalialble for half the price. I realize many people, self included, have no alternative to driving, but I could drive a smaller car (and not necessarily a sub-compact) and save at least a third of my gas expense.
    I pay $20 for jeans and maybe $10-$12 for tshirts. My 2003 Escape cost a little over $12,000. The prices of gas are getting outrageous now. I think the lowest here in central Florida is around $2.59. I'll just have to curb my crafting habit and not go to Michael's so much
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

  6. #66
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Enjoying Real Life
    Posts
    5,731
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    Has anyone gotten a locking gas cap? I heard a few months ago that stealing gas was an issue.
    Yeah, JenniferInCO, I've used locking gas caps all my life. If I buy a new car the first thing I do is put a locking gas cap on it. Seriously. I'm old enough to have lived through the gas crunches of the 1970s (although I wasn't old enough to drive then) so I have lots of memories of incidents involving gas siphoning. It was a huge problem.

    These days I drive a Jeep Wrangler that has a soft top on it for the summer, so the ironic thing is that I never lock the car, but I keep the locking gas cap on there!

    I never lock the car 'cause I figure if a crook wants to get in that car he'll just slice the soft top if I lock the doors. There's nothing in there to steal (not even the registration, 'cause I keep it with me) so I don't care if anyone opens the door of my car.

    The gas cap's a whole other story -- it's locked all the time!!! All the time. If I could, I'd tie a German Shepherd to my bumper, too, to make sure my gas doesn't get stolen!!!

  7. #67
    *
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    These days I drive a Jeep Wrangler that has a soft top on it for the summer, so the ironic thing is that I never lock the car, but I keep the locking gas cap on there!

    I never lock the car 'cause I figure if a crook wants to get in that car he'll just slice the soft top if I lock the doors. There's nothing in there to steal (not even the registration, 'cause I keep it with me) so I don't care if anyone opens the door of my car.
    Ummm, what if some mischievious person decides to dump their soft drink all over your seat? Maybe I worry too much, but I would think about vandals as much as thieves.

    But I do get your point about the gas cap. I will get myself one.

  8. #68
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Enjoying Real Life
    Posts
    5,731
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    Ummm, what if some mischievious person decides to dump their soft drink all over your seat? Maybe I worry too much, but I would think about vandals as much as thieves.
    I occasionally park in a commuter lot that has a lot of homeless people hanging around, so more than vandals I worry about people jumping into the Jeep to catch a nap . . . or, even worse, to have a "date" with that certain, special other homeless guy or gal!!!

    Fortunately the interior's tiny and the seats don't recline, so it wouldn't be their top choice of a car to use for a rendezvous.

    I don't worry about pranksters, 'cause the only prankster who'd think of pouring a drink in my car is YOU, young lady, and I happen to know for a fact that you are JenniferInCOLORADO!!

    Speaking of pranks, though, another big one that people do out east is pour sugar in gas tanks -- that's the real reason I got the locking gas cap in the first place!

    But with gas up to about $2.70 for the cheapest grade (87), now I worry about theft as much as I do sugar.

    No wonder I'm so wrinkled!!

  9. #69
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,826
    Today the cheapest was $2.59, one place had their cheapest at $2.69. I heard oil prices went up $4 a barrel today.

  10. #70
    Obama '08! Callie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,028
    Today I bought gas for $2.75

    I spent $47 on gas today

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.