+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 126 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

It's getting a little out of hand. On one side of the city it's $3.79 a gallon and on the other side it is $4.01 a gallon. I guess I just don't understand the difference in prices if oil is oil and gas is gas.
    Yup, with donuts!!

A side effect of the high gas prices that I hadn't considered! School buses...from an article at Yahoo news....

The skyrocketing costs at the pump are forcing educators nationwide to trim programs, curb spending and cut down on fuel consumption. Schools are employing unusual cost-savings measures to salvage busted budgets, while lawmakers grapple with how to pay for popular classroom initiatives threatened by the need to pour more money into the fuel tank.
    Buses get 7 miles to the gallon on average and one school district spent $729,000 in fuel during the last fiscal year. The article says they want to give teachers what basically amounts to a cost of living pay increase but can't because of fuel costs. Some schools are considering 4 day weeks while others have cut out field trips to try and ease some of the cost. This is insane! When it was just affecting my bottom line it was irritating but the idea that some kids may not get a ride to school because of the cost of fuel? That is unacceptable and enough is enough.

Schmidt said most of the feedback to the plan to cut back to a four-day school week in his district, which covers the towns of Maynard, Clara City and Raymond, has been positive, although he said he realizes it will inconvenience those parents who will have to find child care on Mondays. The change will mean students will attend 23 fewer days of school a year, and the length of the regular school day will be extended by a little more than an hour to compensate.
    LINK

That would thoroughly suck if our school buses stopped running here. The schools are miles away and most parents leave for work before the bus picks the kids up.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I doubt schools would stop running buses for kids to get too and from school, but I can see them cutting out field trips, bonues, pay raises, art class, music class, extracurrricular activities, etc.

At my daughter's old highschool, the football team and band got to take a bus, but the cheerleaders had to have their own rides. The parents carpooled the cheerleaders to games. It may be that sports gets cut back.

On an interesting note, I haven't seen a MGB in YEARS!!! I had 2 friends that had them years ago and they were great little cars. I swear I've seen about 10 in the last 2 weeks. They've come out of storage apparantly because they get pretty good gas mileage.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It wouldn't surprise me if our district went back to the state standard

___ Schools provides buses for children who live more than one mile away from their school for students in grades K-12. The state requires only students who live two miles from school in grades K-8 be bussed.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Yep, when I was growing up in rural rural rural (can't stress rural enough) Louisiana my mom petitioned the school board to allow us to attend school in the "big" city because the only school in our district was HORRIBLE. They said fine but since its more than 2 miles away you will provide all the transportation. They had that rule in place back home for years till they started bussing and driving kids from one side of the parish to the other just to integrate schools. I would not be at all surprised to see school districts re-instating that rule. I'm not sure that bussing a kid to school is a right or a privilege. Anybody know?

The cheapest I've been able to find here is $4.04 (regular) at Costco. I've stopped using my air conditioning and just roll down my windows.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3030850;
    Yep, when I was growing up in rural rural rural (can't stress rural enough) Louisiana my mom petitioned the school board to allow us to attend school in the "big" city because the only school in our district was HORRIBLE. They said fine but since its more than 2 miles away you will provide all the transportation. They had that rule in place back home for years till they started bussing and driving kids from one side of the parish to the other just to integrate schools. I would not be at all surprised to see school districts re-instating that rule. I'm not sure that bussing a kid to school is a right or a privilege. Anybody know?
    I would say that getting transportation to school is a right in certain situations. But busing a kid across town to a different school that is farther away when there is a closer school may be more of a privelege.
    Since it's a law that our kids attend school, I would think that busing the ones that don't have transportation would have to be mandatory. Just like the free or reduced lunch program for those that can't afford it. But then that opens the argument of who should be bused and who shouldn't.
    But I would think that busing is just as needed as the education itself because if you can't get to school, you can't get the education.

Like I said before, I forsee a cutback on all extra curricular activities, field trips, special events, music, art, sports in order to afford fuel for the buses.
    A shame, but the alternative is to raise taxes and that's so unpopular across the board. Living in Florida where there was a large percentage of retirees, we used to hear them complain about having to pay the school tax on their property taxes. Their argument was: "we don't have kids in school". I got so tired of hearing it and I used to reply: "well, those kids you're paying for in school are going to be the doctor's, nurses, policemen, firemen, etc. that take care of you in a few years, would you rather they be illiterate or well trained?" That ususally shut them up.

Glanced at the pump prices while out driving today

regular grade $4.55/gallon
    mid-grade $4.65/gallon
    high grade $4.75/gallon

diesel $5.39/gallon

There really isn't any end in sight, is there?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3037263;
    Glanced at the pump prices while out driving today

regular grade $4.55/gallon
    mid-grade $4.65/gallon
    high grade $4.75/gallon

diesel $5.39/gallon

There really isn't any end in sight, is there?
    I paid $3.69 yesterday. We seem to have some of the cheapest gas around. My brother in Florida says its very close to $4 a gallon there and was calling me names when I told him what we were paying.

+ Reply to Thread