+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 126 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

Mr. Marg decided to fill up BEFORE we left town this morning - and we paid $4.45 per gallon (supreme only for my Acura ) and lo and behold.... prices in LA were lower than here... only would have been $4.27 there.

We are still in the $3.99-$4.10 range for the lowest prices in my zip code. That is actually about 5 cents less than last week's jump right before Memorial Weekend.

I remember a few seasons ago on one of TAR's episodes, the nerd couple made their own fuel out of sugar cane. Phil Keoghan even voiced over how Brazil makes its own fuel now.

There are some people up here that have converted their engines to use the grease from the fast food chains to fuel their cars. They have some sort of contraption set up in the garage, I guess to keep it from freezing during the winter months. Everyone does say that the car does smell like french fries! The restaurants are only too happy to get rid of this stuff, since they have had to pay haulers to take it away.

Like MRD, I have noticed less traffic lately. And I have noticed that people are driving slower on the interstate. I stick to the speed limit, and it seems most people are doing the same. Still there are a few lead-footers out there going about 80 and passing the rest of us.

Tonight, hubby had to get something at Home Depot. I wanted to check something out at Target. So we went together. A year ago, I would have gone to Target during the day by myself. He would have gone to Home Depot after dinner by himself. Tomorrow I am taking my daughter to three different appointments....one right after another. A year ago, I would have spread them out during the week. We are definitely thinking out how and when we use our cars now.

I really wish people will stop coming into my work, hand me $5 to put in their tank and say, with an attitude, "I can get gas cheaper in so-and-so-city." Great. Good for you. That is not going to make the gas at my work any cheaper. I do not get any magical discounts simply because I am an employee at a gas station. If I drove, i would have to pay the same amount you do as a customer. The only thing i get discounted are the free fountain sodas and the past dated and/or damaged products.

Yet it amuses me that the people complaining about gas prices are happily drinking their $4 coffees and smoking their $6.03 marbarol cigarettes.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;3028171;
    I really wish people will stop coming into my work, hand me $5 to put in their tank and say, with an attitude, "I can get gas cheaper in so-and-so-city." Great. Good for you. That is not going to make the gas at my work any cheaper. I do not get any magical discounts simply because I am an employee at a gas station. If I drove, i would have to pay the same amount you do as a customer. The only thing i get discounted are the free fountain sodas and the past dated and/or damaged products.

Yet it amuses me that the people complaining about gas prices are happily drinking their $4 coffees and smoking their $6.03 marbarol cigarettes.
    Maybe you should get a t-shirt that says: "I just work here, I don't set the prices".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Saw something on the news last night about how the gas thieves are out in full force again. Instead of going in through the cap, they're drilling holes in the tank itself and draining it (mostly SUV's and trucks, where you can crawl underneath easily). Just lovely.

I wish they wouldn't even broadcast "news" like that - I think it gives wannabe thieves more ideas. I'd never heard of such a thing until last night.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Drilling through the tank? That sounds like a good way to go
    BOOM
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Premium Member

I hear they tend to target vehicles with plastic gas tanks more frequently probably for that obvious reason, LOL. Besides being easier to drill through, as well, I suppose.

Though I have no idea what my gas tank is made of, just glad it's not an SUV so probably not the first target on their list for a change. (My make of car was number one on the most stolen car list for five years straight until recently, ugh.)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;3028171;
    The only thing i get discounted are the free fountain sodas and the past dated and/or damaged products.
    Sweet! I need to start getting gas where you work, SB! Can you hook me up with month old donuts and damaged corn dogs??

I did notice much less traffic on I-5 (the major interstate in CA - runs north/south) yesterday. Only saw one car speeding like crazy (which is very unusual here) and he was busted by the CHP. Most cars were driving between 75 and 80 (speed limit 70) and it was just bizarre... That just never happens. You can really tell the gas prices have hit everyone.

MRD

There was an item on the news where a truck with an enclosed trailer pulled up at a convenience store/gas station and parked. The man got out, went inside, bought a few items, used the restroom, hung out by his truck for a few minutes and then drove off.
    Inside the trailer was apparantly tanks and friends and they went through the bottom of the trailer into the main storage tanks of the gas station and pumped out over $5000 worth of gas.

I remember in the 70's when gas siphoning was rampant and they came out with locking gas caps to stop the theives.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

I've had a locking gas cap on my car for several years now. Suppose it doesn't do much good against people drilling holes in gas tanks, however. They need removable gas tanks, like with car stereos faceplates or bass speaker tubes, so I can take it inside with me at night.

Guess that might not be so cool if I was going out to eat somewhere or to a movie, though.

Okay, yeah, so the more I think about it, everyone walking around with a tank of gas every time they got out of their vehicle might present one or two problems, so hush.

+ Reply to Thread