+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 126 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

bbnbama if you have a chance to buy an old Accord, take it and run! People are beginning to swipe up the older economy cars because they actually get better mileage than new economy cars do.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Okay, I admit that I barely passed my science classes in school, but can someone please confirm or explain something to me. I own a 2002 Jetta TDI (diesel) which gets about 400 miles/tank in town, and on highway driving to NC last year the mileage averaged 45 to 50/mpg.

My husband and I saw a episode of "Trucks" (Spike TV) where the hosts demonstrated a home/non-commercial method of creating biodiesel by combining leftover cooking oil collected free from local Chinese restaurants/fast food restaurants (who usually have to pay to have it disposed of) and methane which produce a useable alternative fuel which works in diesel engines. Trucks demoed on a Dodge truck. The subsequent tests showed there was no real decrease in mileage with the added aroma of french fries. Isn't this the whole purpose of recycling. Isn't methane produced by cows and considered a ecological waste product...something to get rid of? If someone local could set up a commercial version, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I bet that the cost of producing such biodiesel would make my price of fuel down in the $2.50 range or so. And you would not be using corn which drives up food prices, but utilizing already existing by products.

The lack of innovation by the American car producers is proof that there's collusion between them and Big Oil. Back in the 1970's when I was just out of college and we had the first gas embargo, I started changing my thinking about what was attractive in a vehicle and eventually bought a Dodge 024 which got phenomenal gas mileage at the time in 1979. If the Big 3 at the time had concentrated on developing a more efficient or alternative engine like Mazda did or VW did with their newer diesel engine instead of developing the SUV we might not be in the huge hole we are now.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

I just saw a commercial for a car made by Honda that uses water as fuel and puts out no emissions. I wonder how many years that will take to become available to regular people like you and me or if they will squash it the same way they did the electric car.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3026854;
    I just saw a commercial for a car made by Honda that uses water as fuel and puts out no emissions. I wonder how many years that will take to become available to regular people like you and me or if they will squash it the same way they did the electric car.
    My son works at a high performance car parts store. He said that there is a regular customer who has modified his old truck so that it can run on part water. I don't know what the modifications were exactly or how involved they are but if someone is imaginative to pull it off personally, what are the auto designers doing to adapt it to general production.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

I've seen a show where a man modified his engine to run on the oil from fast food restaurants and according to him the government made him stop the application for a patent. I'm not one to jump on the conspiracy band wagon but I found it quite interesting that so many years ago this man had created this engine and someone made him quit production.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Somebody posted that electric cars were squashed? Actually, I have been living at one of the car review sites while trying to figure out which car to get to replace my husbands gas guzzler and they are reporting that Toyota has plans to bring their electric car (that has been selling in Europe) to the US sometime next year if all goes according to plan. The major problem they are having is that we are such a commuter society that the recharging of the batteries will be an issue (like hotels? They aren't set up to charge the cars up).

I also did a report in one of my finance classes a couple of years ago on the oil embargo and found it interesting that at that time we were making strides towards less dependency on foreign oil but as has been posted, that was squashed by Big Oil. Interestingly enough, Brazil went down the same path at the same time and now they are mostly self-sufficient.

Just google Brazil Fuel Independence to learn more or read this article....

Amidst World Oil Crisis, Brazil Declares Energy Independence

New America Media, Commentary, Louis E.V. Nevaer, Posted: Nov 19, 2007

Editor's Note: Brazil has replaced the United States as the world model of energy independence, inspiring countries like China and India to switch to ethanol even as the United States remains "addicted to oil," writes NAM contributor Louis E.V. Nevaer.

With the price of oil nearing $100 a barrel on world markets, Brazil is in the privileged position of looking on with indifference.
    News article

or

2007: From Fox News

Brazil's program to reduce dependence on imported oil has show success:

— In the mid-1980s, imports accounted for more than 70 percent of Brazil's oil and derivatives needs; the net figure now is nearing zero

— Brazil is expected to become a net exporter of oil by the end of 2007

— Brazil is one of the world's leading producers of hydroelectric power

— Of Brazil's total installed electricity-generation capacity of 90,000 megawatts, hydropower accounts for 66,000 megawatts (74 percent)

Ethanol Use, Production

— Brazil is the largest exporter of ethanol in the world, producing 282,000 barrels per day in 2005

— Over half of all cars in Brazil are of the flex-fuel variety, meaning that they can run on 100 percent ethanol or an ethanol-gasoline mixture

— Ethanol in Brazil comes from sugar cane, which prospers in the country's tropical climate
    2006: Finally from USA Today (Link to rest of the article)

RIO DE JANEIRO — Drivers here can fill up their cars with just about any imaginable fuel — except plain old gasoline.

A three-decade-long alternative energy campaign has outfitted Brazilian filling stations with fuel pumps that offer pure ethanol, a blend of gasoline and 20% ethanol called gasohol, or even natural gas. This year, Brazil will achieve energy independence — a goal the United States has been chasing without success since the energy crises of the 1970s.
    That could have been the US if we had stayed on track with Brazil who is making a ton of money exporting ethanol.

I'll reiterate.... the electric car was not squashed per say, but it definitely didn't take off like hybrid cars are taking off. This was back in the 90s that I'm speaking of... when the only places to plug in were places like Costco.

How do you guys feel about the newest thing that hybrid cars are too quiet and need to be made louder for blind people?
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Actually the electric car was quashed. There is a great movie about it called "Who Killed the Electric Car".

GM and the oil companies killed the first mass produced electric car which was selling like hotcakes in California. Not only did they quit making them, but they recalled all of them and sent them through the car smashers at the junk heap. Everyone that had one, wanted to keep it and because they had been leased and not sold, they couldn't keep them.
    And there were a lot more places to plug them in other than Costco. The movie goes into great detail about that.

Very interesting movie, if you can find it watch it.

As for the modification to make your diesel car or truck run on oil from fast food restaurants. There are kits available for sale. My husband subscribes to Mother Earth news and the kit ads have been in there for the past 3-4 years. The oil is basically free, the fast food restaurants are happy to get rid of it, but in colder climates, it's not feasable as the oil solidifies when it's cold. But in states like Florida, Texas, Arizona and California, it would work wonders.
    I don't know about the patent being quashed, but there are kids available. They run about $800 to convert your truck or car. The oil has to be filtered before it's used though.

BTW, did you know that the man named Diesel that made the diesel engine first designed it to run on vegetable oil? But the process then was not as cheap as regular oil products so he adapted it to run on diesel fuel.
    Also, Henry Ford worked with George Washington Carver to develop a fuel made of soybeans in the 1930's. WWII basically got in the way of that. So there were applications out there even before we became so oil dependent, but until the 1970's, oil was so cheap that no one really did much about them. And then after the 1970's the oil companies had us all in a stranglehold.

We watch a lot of Green programs and read Mother Earth News. Sundance channel has some good green programs. And other channels are now getting on the bandwagon.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-28-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3027234;
    Actually the electric car was quashed. There is a great movie about it called "Who Killed the Electric Car".

GM and the oil companies killed the first mass produced electric car which was selling like hotcakes in California. Not only did they quit making them, but they recalled all of them and sent them through the car smashers at the junk heap. Everyone that had one, wanted to keep it and because they had been leased and not sold, they couldn't keep them.
    And there were a lot more places to plug them in other than Costco. The movie goes into great detail about that.

Very interesting movie, if you can find it watch it.
    It's an excellent documentary about the Saturn EV1 (I'd have loved to have had one!). -- I rented the DVD through Blockbuster Online.

In addition to the good performance, no gas, no emissions, etc., it was also very easy, clean, and cheap to maintain. (So repair shops weren't making big money by having to sell oil and expensive parts.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3027328;
    It's an excellent documentary about the Saturn EV1 (I'd have loved to have had one!). -- I rented the DVD through Blockbuster Online.

In addition to the good performance, no gas, no emissions, etc., it was also very easy, clean, and cheap to maintain. (So repair shops weren't making big money by having to sell oil and expensive parts.)
    I'm glad someone else besides me saw it. It should be a must see for everyone right now. And it's a crying shame that car was discontinued. It was popular with consumers and we could all be driving a similar version today and not worrying about gas prices.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread