+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 126 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    This morning on Fox News I heard that oil prices were down slightly and gas prices were expected to drop after Labor Day as long as there were no disasters (like hurricanes). We'll see I guess.

I hadn't thought about Labor Day. I bet that is 90% of the reason for the gas hikes. It always goes up for the holidays.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

In Canada, on the west coast, the prices always go up on Friday for the weekend, and drop on Mondays. It stinks I tell ya....

Quote Originally Posted by chesara

*Leave the air conditioning on. A lot of people think that turning the air conditioning off will improve gas mileage, but they are wrong. If you open the windows, which you probably will, that increases drag, and overall, you'll get worse gas mileage. So you're better off keeping windows closed and the air conditioning on.
    You know, this makes a lot of sense for highway driving when you're going 60-75mph. However, it seems as though the drag wouldn't make a difference in city driving when you're only driving 15-20 mph between stop lights. I'm not an engineer or anything, but it seems as if the conditions you were driving in would sometimes call that statement into question.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    You know, this makes a lot of sense for highway driving when you're going 60-75mph. However, it seems as though the drag wouldn't make a difference in city driving when you're only driving 15-20 mph between stop lights. I'm not an engineer or anything, but it seems as if the conditions you were driving in would sometimes call that statement into question.
    You're probably right. My entire post was copied from the GMA website so I don't know either. But I live in the south and turning the A/C off for even a moment is an instant sauna. I do think that having it off for stop and go rush hour traffic would make a difference in gas useage although if it's enough to make a difference I don't know.

Yesterday I saw four people in a Cadillac with the windows down. I couldn't figure out what they were doing. The temperature here was 98 degrees. Surely their ac was broken.
    My son who lives in the same town I do, just called and said the station near him is up to 2.57 now.

I'm kind of sick of hearing people complain about it (My Dad & Uncle in particular). There's nothing we can do about the price, and we all gotta have it, no matter what. Don't they have to pay $5 or more per gallon in Brittain or something?

Get over it already.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer

Aerodynamics do not come into play until a vehicle reaches about 48 mph, so above this speed you are not helping to have your windows down. At speeds of less than 30 mph you probably aren't moving enough air through the car to effectively cool it either. If your car and a/c are in good working order, you should not see to much of a difference in fuel economy by using the a/c. The key thing here is making sure that you have your a/c serviced once a year, as if it doesn't work properly, it has to work harder to cool the car.

Oh, yeah, I filled up my scooter today. It requires high octane (91 in Colorado) which was $2.64 per gallon, it took 1.16 gallons. My gas mileage was 124 mpg. Maybe more people need scooters.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 08-16-2005 at 01:29 AM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Premium Member
    On the afternoon of 9/11 there was one gas station in Omaha that tried to cash in and jacked up their price to over $4 a gallon. It was all over the news, and the city cracked down and threatened to prosecute anyone caught price gouging. By the next day their price was back down to normal.

I saw on some documentary thing that there was a point when a gallon was around $5-6, I'm now guessing it was in the late 70's/early 80's according to some posts above.

As for myself, I've deffinately been trying group my travels together some I'm not driving all around town. I'm also finding that everyone is becoming more hesitant to offer around rides and stuff, which is completely understandable.

And it's not helping that the lawn mower eats up gas too

Current gas price: $1.067 CDN / Litre

And if my math is right, which it may not be, that comes to $3.37 USD/Gallon (with current exchange rates).

We've got some of the highest gas prices in Canada, but the way I see it is, no matter what you're used to budgeting, a price hike hurts. Period.

What gets under my skin is that the gas prices are nearly 40% taxes, and some local government yahoos are talking about how good this is for government coffers. Yeah, sure, but buddy, do you think you could put some of that back into the coffers of the freaking public? *sigh*

+ Reply to Thread