+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 126 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

Yesterday, we raised the price to $4.09 a gallon at my work.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

It's $1.28.9/litre here. That's more than double what gas was last summer! I am certainly not driving as much as I would like to. And I'm going shorter distances even though I may want to go to a particular store farther away. It's certainly affected me and my family's habits.

A guy that worked with my brother-in-law had to quit his job. He wasn't making enough money to pay for the gas in his car to drive into the City. He couldn't get a raise and so is now looking for a job closer to home.

I can just see all the motorhomes in the City parked all summer, because families and seniors can't afford to drive them for the holidays this year.

And I hate that all the economists are giving the oil and gas companies "carte blanche" to "keep prices on the rise with no end in sight".

I'm all for riding bikes, vespas, and walking, but when you have winter 8 months of the year, it's not really the best option for seniors and families in the longtern.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I read an article yesterday talking about how $10 a gallon would be such a benefit for this country!! It freaked me out because what it told me is that they are priming us for that eventuality. I can barely wrap my mind around the idea of $5 a gallon and $10 just blows my mind. I'll post the link soon as I find it again. It was a cause and effect financial article over at MSN. It was interesting and I felt that the effects they were saying would result from that gas price should be stuff that people are already doing.

There is talk here to increase the price just to get people to stop taking the car everywhere. That would save carbondioxide releases. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sure it's a good cause, and there are many taking the car for short trips or out of a comfort reason, when public transportation doesn't take that much longer, however this way it would be that just people with money could continue driving and it becomes a class issue.

The thing is that the other day they had an article on how increased prices would decrease carbondioxide releases, but at the same time the also had an article about the increased prices of public transportation. I feel, that if the politicians should increase gas prices, they can't at least keep the prices of public transportation and make it more accessable for more people.

I completely agree. If you are purposely going to increase gas prices then at least make public transportation cheaper and more accessible. Where I live? It's a joke! The price of riding a bus is $2.00 and then not only does it barely go anywhere but its never on time.

Found the article, I'll quote the first part of it and provide the link to the rest. It's interesting and I'd love to get you all's take on it. I viewed it as sort of a feeler reaching out to see if the public is willing to buy onto that high of a gas price.

In four years, U.S. gas prices have doubled to more than $3.70 a gallon, and crude oil has tripled to around $125 a barrel. Allowing for inflation, that's higher than prices were during the 197883 oil shock that triggered a recession and sky-high interest rates. But . . .

What if gas cost $10 a gallon?

Thousands of truckers would go bankrupt. Airplanes would sit idle in hangars. Restaurants and stores would shut down. Car-pooling, hybrid vehicles, scooters and inline skates would swing into vogue. And telecommuting, rooftop vegetable gardens, home cooking and recycling would proliferate.
    Link to the rest of the "what if" financial article

I just got Gas this morning. It was $3.759 gallon. I have a friend a few hours from me and their gas is @ 3.85 a gallon. I Know we don't have the highest prices here, but This is all crazy. I do agree with the transportation system. The US has always had poor transportation system, unless you live in the major cities with Subway...Train and a few Buslines. Most cities' bus lines are not great. I have been to other countries and well wished we had such good bus lines and train lines. I also do believe that this gas increase is affecting will effect a lot. Food prices in the stores, not just fast food... Transportation. I saw on glenn beck one night, he was talking about this and he refered to the US not drilling off our coast. (Due to the eviromental laws and protection groups... however other countries are drilling off our coast in international water.) He also mentioned the guys who had built a stille in their garage to make a cleaner option for gas and it was cheaper and easy to do. The Government and evironmental groups keeps solutions from happening. We have the technology and the capability to do this...Such a shame.
    Namway

MRD

I am going to be going to school over an hour away next year. We figure it will be cheaper for me to find a studio apartment to rent and stay in close to the school rather than drive that distance everyday and pay for gas. I can come home on weekends. Pretty bad when you have to move out in order to save on gas.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3018347;
    I am going to be going to school over an hour away next year. We figure it will be cheaper for me to find a studio apartment to rent and stay in close to the school rather than drive that distance everyday and pay for gas. I can come home on weekends. Pretty bad when you have to move out in order to save on gas.
    That is a very sad day when it is cheaper to maintain a second residence than drive to school....

I am going to run a few errands today, I had put some of them off until I could do all of them at once, and I will check out the gas prices and post later on today. Since CA seems to be the leader in gas prices

Edited to ask - schooling for what?

I'm supposed to go get shots of the Renaissance Fair this weekend but its a 200 mile round trip and I'm seriously considering canceling because I'd rather spend those miles on something else when hubby comes back in 2 weeks. Sad having to think like that; 'where best to spend my gas dollars on road trips.' I miss the good ol' days when I could just get in my SUV and go wherever I wanted.

RE: Second residences: My husband drives 104 miles a day and we are already discussing him moving back on the ship during the week and just coming home for the weekends if the gas prices get too high. The average house here costs $350,000 and since we refuse to pay that to live close to the base? We drive. *sighs* so basically they either get you in gas or in overpriced houses.

Edited to ask - schooling for what?
    Basic obedience

Oil companies are reporting record profits. I guess there is no such thing as "too much," and the idea of taking less profit to keep your customers happy is foreign to the oil oligopoly
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread