+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I realise that an increase in price, whatever the price, strikes hard, but how I wish we had your gas prices.

This week the gas price hit the equivalent of $2.15 per litre. That would make it $8.58 per gallon. We have high taxation on gas here, and a small increase in the actual gas prices gives a bigger increase in taxes.

Like, I said, I realise that it's the increase of something you're used to that hits harder. We've probably always have had higher gas prices than you, but while it were steady nobody cared, it was when it started going up quickly that people started to be bothered, so I guess it's the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2980773;
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I realise that an increase in price, whatever the price, strikes hard, but how I wish we had your gas prices.
    I had this very discussion yesterday with a friend of mine. We got into the discussion of the lack of mass transit in the U.S. compared to Europe and how we have been blessed with lower gas prices for years.

I wish I could find the link, but it listed gas prices in countries around the world and the US was something like the 11th cheapest. We hit 1.23/liter and I think Montreal is over 1.30/liter, which is about 5.20/gallon . And I know that Europe is much worse.

We've had the lowest prices for gas for a long time. I remember going to Europe and the price of gas was insane! I could totally understand why they all chose to drive the little tiny cars for commuting.
    Oil has hit $125 a barrel and everyone is going to feel that big time!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fanatic

I don't feel bad complaining about gas prices. When you look at other countries they all seem to have things that can offset prices in another area. Canada, along with several other countries have free health care, I would be willing to trade off for that. Many European countries have free daycare and so on. America's economy has a lot to do with travel and recreation, but when the gas prices have more than doubled in less than 2 years, that seems to take a bite out of everything. The big oil companies seem to be ok with the downfall of our whole economy, for their own financial gain and that is just sad.

Our "free" healthcare puts us in the 54 percent tax bracket. I get what you are saying though. Bottom line, it is costing a lot to drive, and Canada and the US are large countries and getting from point A to B is not always that easy. Our local transit system is not that good (as I am finding out now that one of my kids is trying to find a way to the local university) and it burns me since our local municipal taxes are one of the highest in the country. Sheesh!
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 05-09-2008 at 03:18 PM.

That is very interesting, canuck -- we always hear about Canada and their "free" healthcare, but that is the first time I have ever heard the taxation rate!!

Mr. Marg. was getting gas today, and chatted with the owner a bit, and he said that gas here will be at or above $5.00 for regular octane by next Friday here. The "transit system" where I live is a joke, consisting of buses only. And to get from point A to point B - although only $1.50 - can take up to 2 hours of time. City planners are spectacular here

We're in for a really sucky summer everyone! Travel will be very expensive so plan to get away close to home unless you are rich.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Margaritaville: that is our marginal tax rate. The average rate in Canada (depending on income) ranges from 35 percent and up and probably averages around 45. The joke is that everyone works for the government until sometime around mid May. So yeah, not really free. Anyways, I really think that North America needs to get on the ball with getting better transit systems and promoting them.

FORT Newbie

Hi everyone!
    Our gas prices here are approximately $6.00 USD. Thank God I drive a scooter. Bought it almost 3 years ago...worth every penny. :-) If anyone's considering getting one, I highly recommend looking at Vespas or Piaggios.

+ Reply to Thread