+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

$2.66/gal is the cheapest around my area. I drive a vehicle with farily good gas mileage, but with the record heat/humidity for the past several weeks, A/C on in the car is eating up gas pretty quick.

But, hey, on the bright side, I just heard over the weekend that oil companies are posting record profits this past quarter

Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Husband just came home and said he paid $45 to fill up our Grand Caravan. Most he has ever paid in U.S. to fill up any car he has been driving. However, that is still cheap compared to the $6 a gallon we paid this summer in Finland. Relatively speaking, U.S. still has incredibly low gas prices .
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I live about an hour away from Toronto and yesterday the gas price was around 97.7 and today it is $105.9.

I just spent 2 1/2 days driving 1,000 miles (from north down to south). Started out at $2.65 and it's $2.49 where I'm at now. I did see one truck stop for $2.15 but I had just filled up three exits before.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    $2.66/gal is the cheapest around my area. I drive a vehicle with farily good gas mileage, but with the record heat/humidity for the past several weeks, A/C on in the car is eating up gas pretty quick.

But, hey, on the bright side, I just heard over the weekend that oil companies are posting record profits this past quarter

Wow! I know I feel better.
    I can't understand why they have to change the price numerous times in the same day. One station near us raised their prices four times Saturday.

$2.48 here.

My dad has a Ford Explorer, it takes a $50 bill to fill his gas tank, he's not a happy camper.

I have not tried to 'cut back' this summer by not using the AC. First of all, the heat this summer has been so miserable, there's no way I'd ride around sweating with the windows down. I also heard on the radio that riding w/ the windows down actually uses up more gas than the AC.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Gas/Ethanol blends (commonly called "gasahol", and a 90% gas/10% ethanol blend) are good, and have some advantages.

But the disadvantages right now are the fact that it increases some harmful emissions, and the fact that major gas-producing companies would have to refit their production systems, which would raise the price of gasahol way above the current gas prices.

But, we don't have to get into the politics of this kind of thing, since we're only discussing what people are paying for gas.
    Interesting, because we here in Colorado have only ethanolized gasoline, as per a mandate by the EPA. We also have gas prises that are cheaper than those for areas where gas isn't mixed with ethanol.

http://www.coloradocorn.com/resources/ethanol/facts.htm
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/popup?id=1038616

Aug. 15, 2005

Gas prices are going through the roof. The average price of a gallon of regular is now $2.50 a gallon, up 20 cents in the last month and 70 cents since the beginning of the year, according to the nationwide Lundberg survey of about 7,000 gas stations. The most expensive gas station in the country, in Needles, Calif., is charging $3.29 a gallon.

But there are things you can do to save money at the pump -- even if you can't trek all the way to Evanston, Wyo., which has the nation's cheapest gas at $2.12 a gallon. Brad Proctor, founder of gaspricewatch.com, appeared on "Good Morning America" with tips on how to make the trip to the gas station less painful for your wallet.

*Buy at the right time. The day and time when you buy gas does matter. Through Labor Day, don't buy gas on Mondays and Thursdays. After Labor Day, don't buy gas Wednesday evenings or Thursday mornings. It's generally best to buy gas before 10 a.m., because that's when prices change.

*Leave the air conditioning on. A lot of people think that turning the air conditioning off will improve gas mileage, but they are wrong. If you open the windows, which you probably will, that increases drag, and overall, you'll get worse gas mileage. So you're better off keeping windows closed and the air conditioning on.

*Check all available gas stations. Sometimes when you come to an intersection, you'll see three or four gas stations. Don't assume that just because they're right next to each other they will have the same prices. They could vary by as much as 10 cents a gallon.

And, if it makes you feel any better, when adjusted for inflation, the price of gas hasn't reached a record yet. The all-time high, $3.03 a gallon in today's dollars, was set in March 1981-- 63 cents higher than today's average.

i was listening to NPR today and they said that if you adjust prices for the year, 1979 had higher gas prices. hard to beleive.

I'd heard that it was 1981 on CNN or something. Close enough. Either way, it was tied into that mess in Iran at the time. They said that adjusted for inflation, gas would have been about $3.00/gallon at the time.

It just went up AGAIN here. $2.60/gal
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread