+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 126 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Re: Gas Prices

The media in my opinion is a big part of the problem. I've seen news articles that say "prices going up but it won't stop people from travelling." Excuse me but how can they make such a blanket statement like that. It certainly has affected my driving habits. I can't speak for others but neither should the news outlets. All they're doing is helping the oil industry by telling them no matter how high you make the prices, people will still drive as they've been driving, so keep it up. I'm sure the people who must drive their own cars to work will continue to do so but the higher prices get, people will start coming up with other transportation plans. Won't they? When families have to start choosing between food on the table and putting gas in their car I think it will matter greatly. I'm sure many people are already having to make that choice back when gas was "only" $2.25 a gallon. There needs to be some regulation as it's really getting out of control. Wages of the average worker can't keep up with this so called supply and demand free for all.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2414822;
    The media in my opinion is a big part of the problem. I've seen news articles that say "prices going up but it won't stop people from travelling." Excuse me but how can they make such a blanket statement like that. It certainly has affected my driving habits. I can't speak for others but neither should the news outlets. All they're doing is helping the oil industry by telling them no matter how high you make the prices, people will still drive as they've been driving, so keep it up. I'm sure the people who must drive their own cars to work will continue to do so but the higher prices get, people will start coming up with other transportation plans. Won't they? When families have to start choosing between food on the table and putting gas in their car I think it will matter greatly. I'm sure many people are already having to make that choice back when gas was "only" $2.25 a gallon. There needs to be some regulation as it's really getting out of control. Wages of the average worker can't keep up with this so called supply and demand free for all.

This inspired me to write my Congressman. If they don't regulate, I at least want to know why the oil companies have so many problems at the refineries and why it affects gas prices so much. I also wouldn't mind an throrough explanation and investigation into their massive recent profits, either from a journalist or Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2414802;
    ...Besides, the bunnies awarded me the Order of the Cottontail for providing them with extra food and habitat
    Congrats Newf! The Order of the Cottontail...that is prestigeous!! My lawn mower is electric so I can mow as often as I like. .

I am driving as little as possible. My family is practicing "the Adventures of the Travelling Car". Whoever is going to a certain store that isn't close, phones and picks up stuff for everyone else so we all save on trips to the same place. Or we take turns. You drive today and I'll drive tomorrow. It doesn't solve the problem, but helps.

Have you heard the latest? Now the price of food is going to increase because of the search for alternative and cheaper fuel sources such as corn. Farmers will need to start growing fuel sources. The media said Food has been cheap and we have to get over it. WTH??!! Food is not cheap. Especially, good and healthy food.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2415411;
    :Have you heard the latest? Now the price of food is going to increase because of the search for alternative and cheaper fuel sources such as corn. Farmers will need to start growing fuel sources. The media said Food has been cheap and we have to get over it. WTH??!! Food is not cheap. Especially, good and healthy food.
    I've definitely seen higher prices recently for pet food. The dog food we buy for our hunting dog has gone up $2 per bag. When I questioned the employee as to why it jumped so high and so quickly he blamed it on gas prices - the companies who drive the stuff to stores pass the buck so to speak. Of course it could also be a way for pet food companies to recoup some of their losses for the contamination incident. I'm sure the recall hurt their bottom line.

rt1ky, let me know if you get a response! I really hope something will be done. Georgia Power (electric company) has asked for approval to increase their rates three separate times this year and each time they've been approved. If I wasn't on budget billing I don't know what we'd do. Every market is putting the pinch on us. Cable, natural gas, postal rates, etc. It's getting tougher and tougher to stretch a paycheck.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 05-23-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I called one and emailed the other represenative. The gas prices are driving up prices for everything else because the trucks and planes use gas to deliver goods. Gas if over $3.00 a gallon here! It has steadily gone up over the past few weeks. KY is suing Marathon gas for price gouging (there's a thread in CE), but of course the oil company is fighting it. People are urging boycotts, but you still need to get gas eventually. Even the city bus needs gas eventually.

When I hear of their profits it makes me sick.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 05-23-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

$3.32/gallon yesterday morning when I filled up. I drive a relatively economical car (Nissan Maxima) and it took about $45 to fill the tank. That should last me about two weeks, driving as I normally do. But I had a trip planned over the holiday weekend that we are definitely cancelling. Tallied up the expense for gas alone and it went from a $500 total getaway for the weekend to a $500 for gas alone... plus food, hotel, entertainment... While it's still managable, I simply refuse to pay it. We'll stay home and lounge by the pool instead. Not exactly what we had in mind, but I'd rather spend my $500 on a trip some other time in the summer when gas prices aren't going to eat up all my spending money!

RG, I'm just curious where you could be using $500 in gas in a weekend? Seriously, that's a lot of gallons!

I've got a vacation the first week of June, but won't cancel. I figure to drive 1000 miles, and even though my rental won't be one that gets great mileage like my car, I figure the gas won't be more than $150--would have been maybe $45 at $1.00 a gallon (oh for the day!) so the week of driving won't be more than an increase of $50 or so, not enough to keep me home!

I can still get gas here in GA for $3.08 today, sure to go up again this weekend. I do know when I get to the vacation in the Northwest, I could pay nearly a dollar more, but--ok.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I Is Stephanie

We're paying about $2.99-3.05/gallon here, although my favorite gas station is selling for $3.09/gallon, which I think is ridiculous. I realize that it's probably lower here then everywhere else, but at the rate it's going up (we were paying $2.95/gallon last week), it probably won't be too much longer before we're paying the same and/or higher then the rest of the nation!

And it's not helping that my Dad drives a Honda CR-V SUV, which he bought right before all this gas crap started up, so it's still too new to sell, but at about 15 MPG, it's not easy to keep, considering that he commutes from here, in mid-central MA to Albany,, NY every week--about 300 miles round trip.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2415883;
    RG, I'm just curious where you could be using $500 in gas in a weekend? Seriously, that's a lot of gallons!

Okay, when I did the math this morning, it is actually a lot less than what my boyfriend estimated. From OKC to Little Rock, then From Little Rock to Taos, NM. It's about 1800 miles total. The boyfriend's Jeep gets about 18 mi/gal, so that's roughly $340 in gas. Not $500. But five hundred bucks in gas sure sounds a lot more amazing and cringe-worthy, don't you think?? Much more gripe-worthy...

We've actually decided on plan B, anyway, which does not involve laying around like lazy slugs but not driving 1800 miles, either. We're going camping and it should be... interesting.
    Last edited by remote_goddess; 05-24-2007 at 11:37 AM.

I paid $3.32 here in Columbus today. We have a http://www.columbusgasprices.com/ website here that I check on when it's time to fill up. Here's a link GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada to their national web page where you can find your local prices,

+ Reply to Thread