+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 126 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

I was surprised not to see any holiday gouging in my area too. And as usual, it dropped about .05 AFTER I filled up, because I thought it would go up in price for the weekend. I can never win at that game!

What I wonder about is why sometimes diesel is lower than regular and other times it's higher. Right now diesel is about .10 higher than regular, while other times it can be that much lower, and still other times it's the same price.

Also, I don't know if anyone has stations in their area that have tried this, but we had one chain, Enmark, that decided they would offer discounts to those paying cash. Really it was the same price as all the other stations and they charged higher for credit. Anyway, I knew it wouldn't last because how many people actually go around with cash to pay for their gas, especially the high amounts they'd have to carry these days. So about a week ago I noticed they discontinued their "discount" program. I don't buy gas from them anyway. We've had more than one car act up after using their gas.

I understand that paying with credit and debit can cost merchants money because the credit card companies charge them but that's the cost of being a business owner and the consumer likes to use their credit and debit cards. Don't they think they're already making enough from us anyway with the ridiculous prices?

What I hate about gas the most is how much it fluctuates. What else do you buy that goes up and down as much as gas? Imagine beer going up and down by the day or even the hour. Someone would be shot.

It has been coming down a nickel a day this week in my area, Appleton/Oshkosh, WI. Today it was $2.59.
    It is always 5 cheaper in Appleton than Oshkosh, which are around 15 miles apart. Fond du lac, which is also about the same distance away from Oshkosh, but in the other direction, is also usually a nickel cheaper. I could never figure out the reasoning behind such odd pricing.
    We also have an Ethanol station in Oshkosh. They have E-85, which is usually around a buck cheaper than regular gas at other stations. They also have E-20, and E-10. 20 and 85 can only be used in flex-fuel vehicles. The 10% blend is the same gas as they sell at Kwik-Trip, and BP in the area, yet it is always 10 cheaper.
    Another thing is that whenever there is any kind of catastrophe anywhere in the world that could even remotely have any significance regarding the oil industry, the price of gas skyrockets over night.
    However, if anything good happens, it will be years before we see any kind of price decrease as a result.

Ah gas prices... I love how some people think that since i work the cash register at a gas station, i somehow have power of the gas prices. Um... I dont. I just press buttons And gas stations hate credit cards. I know my boss has to pay like 35 cents per credit card transaction PLUS a certain percentage of said credit card transaction. SO when people use their cards at the pump, he is making NO money. And my work is an independently owned 78 owned by my uncle. And we try to keep prices low on the inside so people will atleast come in and be regular stuff here. I know somebody once complain about the gas prices and was being rude, and a regular customer said,"i'd rather pay a nickle more and get good service." Also... please, for the love of all that is holey, PLEASE pre-pay! I have no patience for people who cant see the two 5 inch tall stickers that say "Please Pay in Advance" on 'em! Ok... end of rant for now!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Most stations give a discount of 8-10 over the normal cash or credit price*if you use their company credit card.
    I once had a strange situation.
    I stopped at a convenience store/station around bartime. I wasn't buying any gas, but I did have $30 in groceries which I planned to charge on my American Express. The clerk told me I couldn't charge any grocery items unless I bought gas also.
    I was pretty po'd. I went outside and bought $1 worth of gas and pumped it on the ground.
    The clerk called the police on me. When the Officer arrived, he knew me, so he just sent me home, no damage done.
    Kind of a bizaare incident, at any rate. I don't know why buying gas should be a prerequisite to using a credit card. Grocery items are already marked up considerably compared to regular grocery stores, so they should be happy for any purchase they receive.
    I also had no idea that pumping a small amount of gas would be against the law. It's not like I didn't pay for it.

I also had no idea that pumping a small amount of gas would be against the law. It's not like I didn't pay for it.
    Buying a dollar's worth of gas is legal. Dumping it on the ground is not.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Bought gas yesterday about 30 minutes from the coast $3.09.........also bought gas in my hometown before we left for the beach (2 hrs away) $2.95....it's coming down!
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

I get excited whenever I see prices have gone down a bit, then I realize its still about $2.89 which is still way too high.
    One time I rocked so hard it killed a man

The difficulties in life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

In my area of Texas we are around $2.42.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I filled up last week at $2.34, and it is $2.26 today. I'm in NW Ohio.

+ Reply to Thread