+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 126 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Gasoline Sticker shock?

Prices in my area are near $3.00. I've only been driving for 10 years and I can remember not too long ago when we would drive to find a station where the price was less than a $1.20.

Aside from the usual list of tips to maximize your car's fuel efficiency ( I drive a Civic) I was wondering what people thought about hybrids, E85, biodiesel, and the proposed hydrogen fuel cars that Bush talks about.

Would it be better to wait on the E85 technology to become more common or should I go ahead and shell out the money for a hybrid now?

I'ver heard the E85 may not be as wonderful as people claim, but no one seems to have reasons. They just advise against it.

MRD
    We are getting hubby a biodiesel soon. His truck sucks up more gas, so its getting sold. My car cost almost $50 to fill up the other day. GEEZ, I am staying home as much as possible. But it does get good gas mileage. I would like a hybrid, but we can't afford it right now. Hubby needs the truck for work, so he gets priority.

Prices here are $3.02 for regular right now. I'm sure tomorrow they will be higher.

And then I see a Humvee today that got right on my butt, tailgated (see previous pet peeve about my hatred for tailgaters) and when he passed me, his personalized plate read: "hoggin'". I yelled at him (not that he heard me of course): Yeah, you stupid hummer driver, you're hoggin' all the damn gas!

I HATE Humvees.

It took us less than 10 years to put a man on the moon with limited technology and computers that were less powerful than the one I'm typing on right now. So why have we not found an alternate form of energy in the THIRTY YEARS since the first gas crisis????

Hmm, I guess I DO know the answer to that one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oil company profits are coming out soon (today?). That should cause an uproar. I have a tiny little car that cost $20 to fill up when I got it 3 years ago. Yesterday it cost me $35.
    Count your blessings!

rt1ky.... the E85 technology is supposed to be fabulous, actually, but the real limitations are strictly getting enough filling stations across the country. But by the end of the year, they should be prevalent enough to really make it worth your while. In some places there already is the availability.... I guess you'd just have to check.

Our full size Silverado and Sierra trucks get better *gas* mileage with the FlexFuel system than a hybrid Prius or Accord.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Premium Member
    I heard on the radio yesterday that prices will continue to go up until June but then will come back down to around $2 a gallon. I'll believe that when I see it.

Well prices here are $1.11/L there are 3.78 litres in a gallon.
    Gas here is $4.19 CDN/gallon
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I feel so lucky that my husband works only 2 miles from the house and we can walk my son to school everyday. Our only real driving is to preschool (12 miles away) for my daughter 3 mornings a week or miscellaneous trips here and there. I put gas in my car about every 9 days or so. My husband fills up every 2-3 weeks.

My car has a 20 gallon tank so it will probably cost me about $62.00 if I fill it up today. If I wait until tomorrow, it will cost even more at the rate prices are moving up.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    It cost me $56 to fill up my 20 gallon SUV this weekend and I average 19.3 miles per gallon (which I thought at the time wasn't so bad, but now..... )

I read where an investigation has been ordered to ensure there hasn't been market manipulation going on. I thought that was the case the last time the gas companies reported record profits months ago when prices spiked but when gas prices went back down, I didn't hear much more about it.

I do know this....sailing virtually every weekend along the Texas gulf coast, I have seen more drilling going on for new rigs (at least 5 that we can count within our close range along the shore) in the last 6-7 months so progress is slow, but it IS there.

But I agree, fuel alternatives are needed. I hate seeing our open waters polluted with rigs.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yesterday I was ready to take my 2003 Civic to the lot to try and trade it in for a hybrid... any hybrid. Too bad I can't afford a car payment right now.
    I've also been looking into the two SUV hybrids, but they only get gas mileage as good as my honda is estimated to get now.

As for the merged threads:
    I did a search for "gas prices" and "gas" and came up with nothing, although I was fairly sure that I wasn't the first person to complain on this site.

ETA: Okay, I just was a story that Bush is going to relax environmental rules to ease gas prices. Sure, more gas, more smog, more polluted water, more problems for my asthma. My medical bills will increase but I may save a few cents on gas. Thanks W.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 04-25-2006 at 05:21 PM.

rt1ky, I've been tempted to go buy a new car too, so I could just use my truck for hauling stuff. But, the truck is small and does get about 23 miles to the gallon. I look at it this way-- gas would have to go up a whole lot for the difference to be more than the price of a payment on a new one! Still, the truck has 140,000 miles on it, so in a couple of years it will be ready to be semiretired, only used for hauling things. At that time I'll get an itty bitty car , which I prefer for normAL driving regardless of the price of gas.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread