+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Easter Plans anyone???

My mom is coming down to stay with me until the baby is born and then after so I am thrilled. We will all be going out to dinner.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I'll be at the dog show all day Sunday, so I had my Easter dinner a week early. The only lamb that I saw at the grocery store was horribly expensive, so I've been dining on ham all week.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2312206;
    I'll be at the dog show all day Sunday, so I had my Easter dinner a week early. The only lamb that I saw at the grocery store was horribly expensive, so I've been dining on ham all week.
    Ah, the beauty of ham, it lasts forever. Save the hambone and make some great beans or soup. That's what we always do.

We're not having ham or lamb, but I have a hambone in the freezer. It's supposed to turn a lot cooler later this week, so I may make that great wild onion and potato soup I make with the hambone I have in my freezer.

I tend to buy hams after the holidays when they mark them down and freeze them. I've gotten some great ham buys that way.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My mother-in-law is taking us out to brunch. She used to cook for everyone, but doesn't feel like it anymore and I don't blame her. I'd take up the reins, but I got rid of a lot of old furniture when we moved and until we replace it, we don't have enough places to sit.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Easter is always one of my favorite times of the year. It's my official sign of spring. Except this year we still have snow.

I used to be in the church choir as a child. Every Easter Sunday all the children in the church and choir would line up and bring daffodiles up the aisle to a big cross covered in chicken wire. It looked horrible. But then as we kept putting the daffodiles in the holes of the wire, it began to change into the most beautiful cross ever. It wasn't a big church so we got to go up and down several times with fairly good bunches. I'll never forget the look of that cross and how happy it made me feel about Easter.

Wish I had a photo.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Easter was a HUGE deal when I was a kid (Roman Catholic parents) - endless rounds of church, because there was Palm Sunday, Ash Wednesday, confession, Good Friday, Easter Sunday... I haven't been raising my kids as strict Catholics - we don't attend church - and I don't feel right about taking them for holidays only. So I'm doing pretty much the same thing I did for Christmas - explaining the religious significance of the holiday to them, and doing some fun things like colouring eggs. I'm also going to have a little egg hunt for them Sunday morning. Their old sitter is going to be in town this weekend with her family, so we're going to meet up with them and hang out a bit rather than do a big dinner. It seems to suit everyone.

No offence meant to anyone who treats the holiday with more reverence. My mother is very displeased that I don't follow the faith like I was taught (mind you, neither does my younger brother). I think if you draw strength from your religion, then that's wonderful. We're friends with a family that is very religious, and we respect their devotion to their faith. I don't get any personal satisfaction from organized religion, but I do respect those who feel differently. And I've gone on way longer about this than I meant to.
    Last edited by AJane; 04-06-2007 at 03:23 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2317011;
    Easter was a HUGE deal when I was a kid (Roman Catholic parents) - endless rounds of church, because there was Palm Sunday, Ash Wednesday, confession, Good Friday, Easter Sunday... I haven't been raising my kids as strict Catholics - we don't attend church - and I don't feel right about taking them for holidays only. So I'm doing pretty much the same thing I did for Christmas - explaining the religious significance of the holiday to them, and doing some fun things like colouring eggs.
    Personally, I agree with this approach much more than I do with the idea that church only on holidays is an absolute must. Again, as you said, it is a personal decision and I don't mean to imply that I look down on those who do this, but for me and my family, faith is not simply and solely expressed inside the walls of a church, and therefore, celebrating the holiday in it's full religious meaning can happen anywhere.

We'll be doing a family dinner at my mom's and that's about it, since my two have pretty much outgrown the egg hunts. They'll still get a basket full of goodies, of course. We'll be taking it easy and relaxing most of the day.

I will be going to the contemporary service tonight and then the Easter play at my church tomorrow. Sunday it will be back to normal routine of things.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

My mom is coming so I'll be spending the weekend cleaning.
    Count your blessings!

I have work in the morning till 2 pm, then I am going to my grandma's for a bbq.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast