+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Carolina

MRD

South Carolina

My family is most likely moving to Greenville, SC this summer. Tired of Florida for so many reasons, mostly because its becoming the new California with sky high real estate, over crowding, horrible traffic and all the beautiful spots are getting taken over and condos built on them.

So my question is this? What info do any of you have on SC. Anything is welcome, good, bad, indifferent.

What is the city and state like?

I've been to greenville and it really is pretty there and there seem to be lots of jobs in my husbands field (we read the paper online from there).
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I border SC and my state and SC are one of the lowest for public school testing scores (SAT included). That being said, it doesn't mean there aren't some great public schools. In fact I'm often suspicious of those numbers.

Other than that, I don't know a whole lot about SC other than the fact that they have the big tourist trap (I mean attraction ) called South of the Border, which my dad stopped at many times during our treks from GA to NJ because us kids wanted to see Pedro! I've been to some of the cities but never long enough to give an educated opinion.

I'm sure it will be a great experience for you and your family. Sometimes a realtor can give you the best info even though their goal is to sell a house. Not only listen to what they say but to what they don't say and get several opinions about an area before selecting your neighborhood. See if you can access the local newspaper and look at crime statistics for the area you might want to live in. Of course crime can happen anywhere but some areas are more prone than others. Maybe there is a message board you can post to and see what others that live there say. Check to see if the schools have a website too and see if you can get info on the ones in your future neighborhood.

I've always enjoyed moving, just the packing and unpacking that I hate!

MRD
    Great advice Archie and I KNOW Pedro!!! My dad's FAVORITE place to stop because they sold fireworks when my state didn't. He ALWAYS stocked up. He was a big kid at heart.

I have 2 friends that live there now and 1 friend from here that used to live there and they all say that the schools in Greenville are very good especially compared to Florida schools. The 2 there now moved from Florida. And there is a magnet school we want to get our daughter in that is a fine arts and performing arts school and get this: Ruth Marie from this season's Survivor is in the PTA at that school! lalalalala!

We have a relocation agent that is helping us via neighborhoods and I doublecheck it with our friends to see if she's steering us right as she is a realtor. We do read the paper online and we are going up in June to check things out.

We are just ready for a change and I want out of Florida despite being born here and never living anywhere else. It has changed too much.

You have great advice and I do worry about the schools, but have heard they are pretty good in certain areas. Plus my daughter wants to go to the Governors school for the arts which is a public boarding school in Greenville for Jr. and Sr. But you have to have had 1 year in the SC public schools first (which she will have next year) and you have to audition. She is working on her sketchbook now in preparation for it. She wants it really bad, so I hope she can get it. The boarding school is free, but you pay $3000 a year for meals. Can't beat that. And if we live in teh same town, she can come home in the evenings until 10 and on weekends.

I wander around this house looking at things and going: I have to pack all this crap. AGAIN!

Thanks Archie. Valid points and thanks for the memory of Pedro. (and the many, many miles of signs for the place)

Rosie, I worked in Greenville for about a year recently, and it IS a beautiful city with plenty to do. I have no idea about the schools, but the companies there seem to be well-run and there are a lot of job opportunities. The restaurants are good, and the entire downtown area has free wireless internet. In fact, the whole downtown area is very nice.

My only beef with SC is the "airline bottles" of liquor they're required to use in all bars, although my understanding is that may be going away soon.

I have a co-worker who lives in Greenville, and housing is inexpensive for what you get (he just bought a 1900sf condo on a golf course for under $100k).

My only other beef with Greenville is that it's hard to find your way around, because none of the roads for straight for more than about 100 yards. You THINK you're heading the right way, and then bam, you're off in another direction completely.

Good luck with the move!

myrosiedog,

I don't live in South Carolina, but I've been there many times. My aunt and uncle live in Hilton Head. The things that come to mind for me are:

*You can have the best of both worlds as far as scenery goes. You'd be living in the Western part of the state where they have a beautiful wooded, mountainous terrain. The beach is less than a day's drive away, but you won't have to evacuate during hurricanes.

*They do have a deeply ingrained Southern culture in most of the state, which may be an adjustment for you if you're never spent time in that part of the south. I know you're from Florida, but there are so many transplants from other states there, that in the time I've spent there, I've thought of it more as a melting pot. In the part of the south that includes the Carolinas, there's sometimes a closed culture. Even though they are warm and friendly, you might not feel accepted easily. My aunt had a hard time when she first moved there. That could have been partly due to the sort of people she was trying to fit in with, however.

*Most of their major cities have very old, historic sections that are a delight for history buffs. Charleston is probably the most famous of these classic Southern cities, but Greenville itself is a historic town. http://www.greatergreenville.com/default.asp

That's about the extent of my knowledge. Hopefully someone that lives in the state will be able to provide more insight. I just know its a beautiful and elegant state with lovely people. I often thought of moving to the Carolinas one day.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD
    Argh, I had written a nice reply to both John and Star and then when I went to post it, it disappeared.

So instead of all that I said before,

Let me say thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

I wish I had the other email, but its gone now.

You both gave me a lot to think about.

Thanks,

Myrosiedog, while I've never lived in Greenville, when I was in college my boyfriend did, so I visited there frequently for a few years, although that was in the late 1990's.
    I loved the city. It was cute, not too big, there's a pretty waterfall downtown. My understanding is that area has been booming over the last decade or so, and has lots of good companies, etc.
    The area is also quite pretty; it's near the mountains, and there were many lovely neighborhoods.
    South Carolina also doesn't sell alcohol on Sundays. Just FYI.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't mind living in Greenville, and so I think you'll wind up liking it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Well, I live in Charleston, and I am 40 years old. Born here, never lived anywhere else, and really don't want to ever leave! Yes, the school system MOSTLY sucks, but so do most PEOPLE! Really, it is so hard to generalize. It depends on what school you choose, and what area you choose to live in!

And, Lucy, we DO sell alcohol in Charleston on Sundays! That is called a "Blue" law, and I am not sure how it is in Greenville. I have two sisters who graduated from Clemson University, very near Greenville, and while I must admit to being a little offput when they came home for break sporting a twangier southern accent than I would have liked, they both were impressed by the "big city" feel of Greenville. I also didn't care for the way they pronounced "Greenville" as "GreenVULL" when they came home! They are both now back to their proper accent and pronounce it "GreenVILL", THANK GOD!

Anyway, my point is really that if you find yourself in such a visually and atmospherically beautiful place as South Carolina, you can find paradise as long as you are aware of the negatives and take care to either avoid the potholes or find a way to make this a better rounded state by being personally proactive and be a part of making the changes you see a need for! That's what I strive to do every day, and I love this place! Welcome!
    Go Tigers!

MRD
    Thanks again everyone. Great advice.

The blue laws don't bother us. I don't drink anymore and hubby only drinks beer. And we grew up in a small rural town where you couldn't buy on Sun. Gosh, how many beer runs I made to the county line?

That's the other thing. We were raised in a very small, very Southern, rural, Agricultural based town, so the deep South is not foreign to us. People ask me now about my accent and are shocked when I say I am from Florida. They say: "No one is from here". Well a few of us are and Florida is still a Southern state.

Here's what they say about us: The more South you go in Florida, the more North you get and the more North you go, the more South you get. Meaning that in South Florida is where all the "yankee's" head and North Florida is still very remote, rural and Southern. So I don't think we will have a problem fitting in that way.

And I'm sure Greenville is not Utopia, but like any other place has its ups and downs. What's happened to us here is that we have more downs than ups and want to move.

Construction is booming in Greenville and that is the field my hubby is in. We heard from friends that a big research corridor is planned and that constrution on it and the surrounding support and residential areas will boom with the research corridor for at least 10 years.

We've lived in the burbs for 8 years and I am not a soccer mom. I need to be in the city. We never go to the city closest to us and I don't know why. It's not that far. But we miss out on all the cool stuff like art festivals and jazz in the park, etc. That's why I want to live in a big city again. I used to live in Tampa after college and loved it. But then went back to my hometown, got married, had a kid and stayed there until 8 years ago.
    I am not cut out for the burbs. I am the ONLY person in the PTA who does not drive a van or SUV. And the Talbots and Gap wearing moms look at my plaid converse high tops and Big red Rolling STones tongue on my non SUV car with disdain. So I'm probably going to have the same stuff in Greenville, but there also has to be non-conformists there too. And I know its conservative and heavily Republican even tho its the birthplace of Jesse Jackson.
    But its beautiful and I want seasons. We don't have seasons in Florida. Summer and Christmas, that's it. And I want a basement. A basement in Florida is called a pool.

We need a change, want a change, looks like we are going to make a change and I think it will be good for us and we are being forced out financially from Florida.

Thanks again everyone.

Here's a weirdy. The highschool we are looking at for my daughter? Ruth Marie from this seasons Survivor is in the PTA there. That's now why we are looking at it, but it was an interesting side note.

+ Reply to Thread