+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jazz Fest

Jazz Fest

Is anyone going to New Orleans this year for jazz fest? I hear its going to be the best one yet! Anyone have any good recommendations of hotels, restaurants etc?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Toby, I'm not sure what has reopened since the hurricane. The French Quarter and Bourbon Street are back up and running, I think. If you've never been to New Orleans, you should definitely check them out. As far as restaurants, Luizza's was always one of my favorites. The menu is a combination of Italian and Creole fare. For a great po-boy, check out Mother's. They also have the best gumbo! If you're there for breakfast, have the ham biscuits. Nothing better for a hangover!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Toby, check out New Orleans. It's pre-Katrina, but you still should find some good suggestions.

I still can't say enough good about La Pavillon for a hotel stay, if they still have rooms available for JazzFest.

My only word of caution is just be careful driving around the city. There are still many intersections with no electricity (hence no operating traffic lights) and the city has no cash to fix potholes, some of which are --quite literally-- the size of small cars. They're usually marked with florescent spray paint or orange barrels, but the roads are really bad all over town.

Phonegrrrl, I've never seen that thread so I had to check it out. I had forgotten all about Central Market! Man, does that take me back!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Thanks for your suggestions, I greatly appreciate them. Also, I found some helpful information while doing some research yesterday. This site, will tell you which restaurants in the area are back up and running.

http://foodandwine.blogs.com/neworleans

I also checked out the jazz fest website. WOW, there are so many great artists playing, I can't decide which weekend to. For anyone that has been do you suggest the first or second weekend? If so why?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread