+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Snake Advice

Every time my dad went mountain climbing with his friends when I was little, he would bring me back a snake. I took them to school for show and tell. Little green ones that would wind in and out of my fingers, big black king snakes, and more common varieties. Sometimes I startle when I see them in the yard, but give them plenty of room to do their stuff. My problem is the basement. We have a dirt floor with rock wall foundation and sometimes we get them down there... once one even found its way into a basket of warm towels just out of the dryer and my daughter found it when she was folding them. Needless to say, she refuses to help with laundry anymore.
    Count your blessings!

I would say that the de-snaking is cruel, but I absolutely hate snakes. I live in Texas AND live in the country. We get lots of snakes. We have live on 2 wooded acres, so we are a haven for them. Luckily, they have been harmless (grass and chicken) ones, but the last 3 out of 4 that we have been lucky enough to kill have been over 4 feet long. Sorry, don't care how "harmless" it is, when they are almost as big as me...gotta go.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I looked at that site, and just wondered why they felt the need to pull the snake's teeth and staple their mouth shut; why not just use nonpoisonous snakes, or fake snakes on a string. Sorry, but I like all animals, not just cute fuzzy ones; if you're going to kill and eat it ok, but I don't like this. I also think it's like the 'snake repellent" sprays; I don't see how it could work.If they aren't secretly beating the dogs, I don't see what the deterrent to the dog could possibly be. Most dogs I know would love for something to be rattling and jumping at them, if no consequences were involved.
    Oh man! I do not condone the cruelty of "stapling" OR "pulling of teeth" for any reason.. whatsoever. Geez, some people will do anything to an animal and have no qualms about it. That's sick.

I'm willing to bet that there are other de-snaking places that DON'T torture the poor snakes.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta View Post
    ... Sorry, don't care how "harmless" it is, when they are almost as big as me...gotta go.
    Just be careful. The area I live in is home to an endangered (and thereby protected) species of rattlesnake, the eastern timber rattler. Every now and then there's a story in the paper about a homeowner who finds one in his yard, kills it and then ends up getting arrested/fined.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I used to lifeguard at a small lake with water snakes. If I needed a break, I would pretend to see a snake and the water would clear out. Sissies.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I used to lifeguard at a small lake with water snakes. If I needed a break, I would pretend to see a snake and the water would clear out. Sissies.

......Smart thinking Gutmutter!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Apparently I'm alone in the dark here, as I appear to be the only one who envies you, Stargazer, for having garter snakes in your backyard. One of the high points of my life was encountering a rare and shy Massassauga rattler up north of Parry Sound a few years back.

Monkeys, though, they are another story entirely...
    No, I really find snakes cool too; if nothing else, people should think twice about killing snakes due to the amount of mice and rats they eat! I've always been the guilty party who, instead of running, wants to catch the snake to check him out for a few minutes, as long as it's not venomous, in which case I'll just watch from a little way off.
    Anyway, since I was curious about how the dogs would actually be discouraged from fooling with a snake that had been "rendered harmless" , I searched further and found that it gets worse...the deterrent is application of a shock collar whenever the dog gets too close to the snake.

So, I guess it's back to a naked yard or a screenwire cage enclosing the whole property if you want to be 100 % sure of having no snakes. I know how it feels Star, even though I no longer have dogs. It seems that when they get hung up on catching turtles, lizards, or snakes, it's hard to make them stop.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234