+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake Advice

Wow, actually that's a good idea. It does worry me about what she'd do if she were around a poisonous snake. Thanks, Maveno.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Maveno, I found out that theres a place close to me that de-snakes dogs. If I see any more snakes slithering about, I might look into it. I'm hoping this was just an isolated incident.
    Last edited by Leo; 04-04-2006 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Removed reply to deleted post.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I looked at that site, and just wondered why they felt the need to pull the snake's teeth and staple their mouth shut; why not just use nonpoisonous snakes, or fake snakes on a string. Sorry, but I like all animals, not just cute fuzzy ones; if you're going to kill and eat it ok, but I don't like this. I also think it's like the 'snake repellent" sprays; I don't see how it could work.If they aren't secretly beating the dogs, I don't see what the deterrent to the dog could possibly be. Most dogs I know would love for something to be rattling and jumping at them, if no consequences were involved.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I looked at that site, and just wondered why they felt the need to pull the snake's teeth and staple their mouth shut; why not just use nonpoisonous snakes, or fake snakes on a string.
    Holy crap, they do?? Oh, I wouldn't take part in anything like that. I mean, that probably sounds like hypocrisy from someone that just killed a snake with a shovel, but "stapled its mouth shut"?? I'm with you. They could have used a better method than that.

Good grief, Star, you've had quite a day. When I began reading this thread, I thought the odds of running into another snake was slim to none...then of course, I saw your next post. At least they are gopher snakes, but still, I'd be freaked out, too.

We have two dogs and a doggie door in our backdoor. A few years after we moved here (a brand new house/neighborhood surrounded by undeveloped areas), Mr. Rose came into the kitchen after I had just left the room and shouted, "who put the fake snake in the kitchen!?" Turns out it wasn’t so fake, but fortunately it was ‘just’ a garter snake (Mr. Rose grew up having all kinds of 'pets' and knows about these things), so he simply picked it up and took it outside. I was pretty nervous for a while, but that was it for snakes for us, and that was about 15 years ago. *phew* As far as our dogs go, they were scared to death of this slithering creature and ran back into the house when Mr. Rose gave it his freedom back at the outskirts of our property, so your dog seems like SuperDog to me.

Speaking of snakes, though, my best friend had a boa constrictor as a pet when we were roommates (yes I knew this and still moved in with her ). She kept him in a huge glass cage, with lots of branches in there for him to climb. However, he was a sneaky snake and would slither up the branches and push the top of the cage off (no matter what we did to try to stump him), and explore our apartment. It was not unusual to come home after work and not know where he was…I refused to enter until she'd find him and put him back. Sometimes she’d find him in the couch cushions, or one of our beds...but his favorite spot was to be wrapped around the motor of the refrigerator. Eventually he attacked her, trying to bite her hands and face, and she got rid of him. However, from there, she got a rat and a tarantula. Oh, and yes, she's still my best friend, 34 years later, but she's moved on to dogs as pets. Thank God.

But I digress, Star, I hope this is the end of your snake problem, but it sure sounds like they were recently-hatched babies. At least they were the harmless variety, and just think of all the rodents they most likely killed.

And I’m with you. That de-snaking sounds extraordinarily cruel.

I do hope your beautiful little girl isn't too traumatized by the whole snake thing, not to mention you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    if even my garden hose looks at me funny, I'm up on a chair screaming for my machete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I'm very humane where snakes are concerned. They never knew what hit them. One well placed WHAP and they're history. I'm not having them here. just not gonna do it.
    Both of your quotes had me giggling like crazy...of course, I completely agree with both of you but still had me giggling nonetheless......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I cannot stand free-range snakes!
    I cannot stand living ones!!!!

I can handle (truly handle, as in "pick up, set on the palm of my hand, and hold") every single other creature known, but I can't stand snakes.

I'm in agreement with those of you who don't like snakes. I recently braved the reptile house at the zoo with my little nephew and am still having nightmares. I change the channel if I see a snake on TV.

However, I had a few snake encounters several years ago. The first one was in the driveway and I ran over that one in my Mustang. Two weeks later, I was absolutely horrified to find a rattlesnake coiled up on my back doorstep..... I killed that one with a shovel. After that, I put mothballs in the space under the house and around the perimeter of the house and I didn't see any snakes after that. My dogs didn't bother the mothballs at all. We've moved since then and (luckily) have seen no signs of snakes. If I do find another one though, I am going to have a pair of shoes or a purse made out of it!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Apparently I'm alone in the dark here, as I appear to be the only one who envies you, Stargazer, for having garter snakes in your backyard. One of the high points of my life was encountering a rare and shy Massassauga rattler up north of Parry Sound a few years back.

Monkeys, though, they are another story entirely...
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Ever see the Simpsons snake-bashing episode? Star, apparently Barry White's voice attracts snakes...you just want to put a cd player in a giant cage and then trap the little buggers when they slither towards the strains of "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe".

Sorry. I'm having a very stressful day and work and this thread is killing me.
    Wacking Day!!!
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast