+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake Advice

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Good lord, Star--two snakes in one day? I'd be calling the real estate agent. I cannot stand free-range snakes!
    Free-range snakes!!! I'm imaging a farm with fences and herds of snakes eating the grass and wheat. That's funny.

Honestly star, they don't hurt ya. Just pick'm up and toss'm somewhere else. Trust me, you'll feel big and strong...and it'll help you to explain to your daughter how they're harmless. Too bad I didn't live near by, I'd come over and de-snake.

Explain to her that the snakes eat RATS, BIG SPIDERS AND CRAWLY THINGS THAT BITE. See? She may end up lovvving snakes.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    Tie up live mice..dangle them from a low bush... every time a snake eats it, it'll be hanging there! Easy for you to baseball bat them to death.
    Hmm..except your daughter will start believing that snakes grow from trees.
    Ok, forget it. I have no solutions for ya.
    Ever see the Simpsons snake-bashing episode? Star, apparently Barry White's voice attracts snakes...you just want to put a cd player in a giant cage and then trap the little buggers when they slither towards the strains of "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe".

Sorry. I'm having a very stressful day and work and this thread is killing me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Maveno, I actually like pet snakes and such, but I'm a bit like Phonegrrl. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to touch a "free-range" () snake.

Maybe I'll start out with the Barry White idea.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I have a friend who has found several snakes in the yard and is very freaked out about it. So, we did considerable research about it, and found out that studies prove that there is no way to repel snakes from your property. All those 'snake repellents' that you see at Home Depot and etc. are selling, are 100% useless. The sites I saw just say that two things do attract snakes--food souces and hiding places. (see info at http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2277.htm) So keeping your yard really bare is the only true solution...besides not wearing shirts with flags on them.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Maveno, I actually like pet snakes and such, but I'm a bit like Phonegrrl. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to touch a "free-range" () snake.
    Yeah, that's what I meant--if the snakes are pets and properly housed, I'm not going to get freaked out, as I'll expect them to be in their glass huts or whatever. But due to some run-ins with water moccasins in my youth, if even my garden hose looks at me funny, I'm up on a chair screaming for my machete.

Is there some kind of snake-favorable environment that made the momma snake hatch her eggs near your yard? Maybe that environment could become less hospitable.

Thanks, queenb. At least you saved me some money. I'd already been googling.

Quote Originally Posted by phonegrrl
    Is there some kind of snake-favorable environment that made the momma snake hatch her eggs near your yard? Maybe that environment could become less hospitable.
    There's actually a ravine on the other side of my chainlink fence at the edge of my neighbor's property. It makes for a good separation from the neighbors, but honestly just looks like one big snakes nest. However, I went out and checked out the fence line and the rest of my yard and I think that was the last of the interlopers. Hopefully, anyway. Maybe the other hatchlings went the other direction. If I hear screaming from my neighbors house, I'll know for sure.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Star, what a day! Hope things settle down for you...

I'm very humane where snakes are concerned. They never knew what hit them. One well placed WHAP and they're history. I'm not having them here. just not gonna do it.

Oh my. What a unique thread! I'm so glad your Sacha is ok and a snake-dogger at that. If you live in Florida, my friend happens to live with two pythons. Matilda, the girl, and Monty, who has recently gone missing. He loves snakes. He spends the weekend with his kids, catching and releasing snakes. (I thought you only did that with fish) Probably garter and such.

Your best bet would be to relocate them to a better place. Maybe if you throw in a pool and a games room with lower rent and cable ammenities, they would go willingly.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I never knew that you could de-snake your dog(s)! Last time I had two dogs, a cocker spaniel and a shepherd mix, we always went hiking in Los Angeles (over 12 years ago).
    There are soooo many cool trails to go on, and they are always filled with rattlers. I always stressed myself out thinking about if Tucker or Wiley getting bit and how in the hell I'd carry one or both of them all the way back to the truck (typically HOURS away) before they died.
    Luckily it didn't happen.

BUT, looking up "de-snaking", tons of sites popped up about de-snaking dogs! That's cool. So, I'm gonna post a link to one of the sites. Hopefully it'll be helpful to someone, and more importantly, for the dogs.

ridgewood-kennels.com

This place happens to be in Texas and their next session is August 2nd. But, Google it and there are tons of sites..probably all over the United States for anyone interested.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast