+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goin' to Chicago

Goin' to Chicago

I will be in Chicago next weekend (April 7-11) and would like some opinions on "must see" places, and "have to try it" eateries. I will be there for the National Association of School Boards, so I expect places to be somewhat crowded. Stayin' at the House of Blues, but the rest of my group is staying at Hotel 71 (I think thats the name. ) Anyway, I know many of you have spent time there, so your suggestions and ideas are needed. How can I have a great time - mostly in the evening...

Ana, there are lots of people here that live in Chicago and several that go there many times a year. I've only been two or three times, so they can tell you much more than I can. I just wanted to mention that I think its a really cool experience just to get out and walk around and soak up the "vibe" of the city (is that too corny? ). It has a vibrant feel that is unique for any major city I've been to. Just walking a few blocks is fun for me. Plus, you can check out all the small delis and restaurants as you walk by. Just be sure to ask your hotel desk where the "safe" tourist areas are. You wouldn't want to walk into a bad neighborhood or something.

Have fun. It's an awesome city and I'm sure everyone will have some great ideas for you.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I went there with my dad as a teen asn took the "L" to N bremen st and something else but it was a really "artsy" cool neighborhood. Music shops with guys jammin on guitars and entertainers on the street corners. But I'd get more exact directions than that.

Oh!!!- ETA: The museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum are AWESOME!! The aquarium was a let down but the museums ROCK!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Since you are staying downtown, it would be pretty hard to just walk into a "bad" neighborhood. There are tons of restaurants--local restaurants--and since there is such a huge choice, I highly recommend NOT going to a chain restaurant(like the Hard Rock, or Rainforest Cafe).

You'll be close to the Magnificent Mile, so you might as well plan to do some shopping there.

If the Cubs are in town, it's an easy ride on the red line El North from downtown to Wrigley Field. It's always fun to take in a game at this baseball Shrine. Although in early April it can get kinda cold with the breeze off of the lake, but still...it's the Cubs at Wrigley.

Don't forget the Art Institute.

And can I recommend getting some pizza? Best thing to do is go with a group, order several different pizzas with different toppings, and a few pitchers of Old Style. Ask at the desk for a good Chicago pizza joint that is near your hotel.

have fun! I love Chicago!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Just be sure to ask your hotel desk where the "safe" tourist areas are. You wouldn't want to walk into a bad neighborhood or something.
    As a wise Chicago dweller/FORTer once told me (and you know who you are ) anything that begins with "south" isn't safe unless you're looking to score something.

Chicago is a wonderful city and THE top urban setting in my opinion. It is clean, beautiful and there's lots to see in a small vicinity by foot. I have always felt totally safe when I visited.

Touristy, but sooooo worth it for "just a drink"...top of the John Hancock building...views are "INCREDIBLE" at night!!!! There's a nice restaurant/bar there.

The "beat" of the city is one of its own. Shopping galore along the magnificent mile...Lake Michigan...the fountains...the big silver reflective ball thing, the historic preservation of the buildings, the 3 dimensional aspect of the city (there are at least 3 different levels of the city due to the river) etc. etc. Lots to sit back and enjoy there.

I don't remember the name, but there was a really really great Italian restaurant across the street from a club called Funky Buddha...very crowded, tight fit but mouth watering and neat environment (lots of pictures of celebrities and locals that have visited there)...authentic Italian. Next door to that is a fun little dive bar that has a good juke box if you want to hit it before or after dinner.

Have fun and enjoy!
    Last edited by Igotalife; 03-31-2006 at 04:48 PM.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife View Post
    I don't remember the name, but there was a really really great Italian restaurant across the street from a club called Funky Buddha...very crowded, tight fit but mouth watering and neat environment (lots of pictures of celebrities and locals that have visited there)...authentic Italian. Next door to that is a fun little dive bar that has a good juke box if you want to hit it before or after dinner.

Have fun and enjoy!
    That would be on Grand Ave., just west of Downtown. I don't know the name of the place either, but I think I ate there once with some friends. I had prosciutto wrapped shrimp that were sauteed and served over mouth watering risotto. There are a bunch of really good italian restaurants on Grand Ave starting around Halsted St. and going west.

If you have some time, and the boats are out of winter drydock, I highly recommend the architectural boat tour. It's a boat ride up and down the three branches of the Chicago river and they tell you all about the buildings and the architecture. It's a very unique way to see the city.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Chicago Joes
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Not everything "south" is bad. There's "The Museum of Science and Technology" which is worth a look.

Touristy stuff to do: Top of the Sears Tower and/or Hancock; The Art Institute; The Field; Billy Goat Tavern; Michigan avenue; Lincoln Park Zoo (which is free); Navy Pier; walk along lake Michigan or better yet bike

Chicago for me is the architecture: the Rookery, the Mies van der Rohe highrises, Union Station, the Wrigley Building, the Delaware, the Chicago building... basically the entire downtown. I recommend a nice long walking tour . Have fun!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina View Post
    If you have some time, and the boats are out of winter drydock, I highly recommend the architectural boat tour. It's a boat ride up and down the three branches of the Chicago river and they tell you all about the buildings and the architecture. It's a very unique way to see the city.
    I was there in September and took the 90 minute cruise that goes out onto Lake Michigan and then down the river to the Sears tower and back. It was great, but like you said it all depends on the season. It might be too early for the boats to be running.

Have a great time Ana banana! The only thing I know about Chicago is Oprah? And ..............John? You know. John and Fluff? Maybe you could meet up for coffee?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast