+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Most Embarassing:

I'm the queen of embarrasing moments.

One of the biggies that sticks out in my mind. Years ago I worked for a local TV station as a secretary to the news director/anchor. When I first started, one of the things he wanted me to do was drop him off in his car for lunch downtown. I had just received my license and had a touch of dyslexia, too. I remember the newsroom faced the manager's parking lot. I got into his car to go and pick up him (he had walked to lunch earlier) and the cars were all facing one direction, which meant you had to drive out that same direction. It was physically impossible to pull out the other way because all the cars were facing one direction. Now I understand that. Back then, with my dyslexia, I was sure I was going the correct way. I remember pulling back and forth in the car, trying to get it to go to the left (all cars were facing right). Finally, I hit the car next to me, was at one point up on its bumper, in the air, and finally managed to pull out the incorrect way. I was in shock, I swear. That's why I kept going after I first made contact with the other car. After finally getting the car out (the wrong way) I looked up in the Newsroom window and there were a bunch of horrified faces pressed against the glass. They had watched me do this maneuver for the past 10 minutes and were completely speechless. I drove off and got the guy, he didn't notice the huge dent (it was on the driver's side). After we got back I had to go into his office and tell him. Turns out I had hit the General Manager's car with the Anchor's car. I was sure I was going to be fired. A few hours later I was paged to go to the General Manager's office. I went in, he somberly looked at me and closed the door. He handed me a glass of boubon and said "If you were going to try to ki ll the son-of-a-bitch, make sure he's at least in the car!"

A few months later I had some spray glue explode in my face (never use a needle on a clogged sprayer). Without my knowledge they taped me as I was on the the ground and the paramedics working on me and played it on the evening news. It was the beginning of poison prevention week and they had a "story that hits close to home."

Sigh, that was the best job I ever had!
    Last edited by cadcmmngs; 02-15-2005 at 06:26 PM.

I like your cad! Especially after having superglue spray all over my fingers, that's why I always keep acetone on hand!

I have some 'from the GM's office' ones too. When i moved to new york I lied on my resume to the temp company that had all the major music gigs. So my first assignment was to a general manager at a big music company. The part I had lied about was using how to use the telephone, those mammoth hold 50 calls type of things. Well, this one I remember clearly, I didn't know who the guy who called was,so hew as furious (it was someone from MEtallica's posse) and so I said I'd put him on hold, which he didn't like. Well, I hung up on him instead. I admitted this to the GM who luckily was nice, laughed, and said he never liked the SOB anyway. In that job I hung up on big names, like Geffen, etc. It was embarassing, but I learned how to use the phones! (I was also treated very rudely by ms. Katie Couric in another job, and it wasn't a mistake when I 'accidetly' pressed the wrong button on the phone that time!)

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcmmngs
    A few months later I had some spray glue explode in my face (never use a needle on a clogged sprayer). Without my knowledge they taped me as I was on the the ground and the paramedics working on me and played it on the evening news. It was the beginning of poison prevention week and they had a "story that hits close to home."

Sigh, that was the best job I ever had!
    That is totally funny cadcmmngs! I'm sorry if you were devistated, but hell...I'm cracking up pretty hard! I would have totally died (of embarrassment)!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

You never told me that Mom. And I am your daughter. shouldnt i know if you have had to be worked on by the paramedics before???? you dont tell me anything! lol

We were analyzing T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" in school, and I was tired, possibly on a high dose of ephedrine. When the teacher asked about the line, "Do I dare to eat a peach?" I raised my hand and explained its sexual implications very matter of factly. This might not sound terribly embarrassing now to older people, but the entire class was silent afterwards, totally bewildered and staring. My (male) teacher stammered, tried to move on with the lesson, and never looked me in the eyes again. Maybe in some ways I grew up too fast; maybe I'm just stupid like that.

FORT Fogey
    An embarassing moment for me came earlier this week. I volunteer at this place called Sacred Heart. Once a month, people can come in and get a load of food- eggs, cereal, spaghetti, fruit, veggies, dessert, meat etc. So I was working the front counter, handing out these big bags of food. Sometimes people are incredibly nice and grateful, other times, not so much. This one lady was really getting to me, being totally annoying and grabbing at the food without saying thank you. So right after she left, I was really distracted. The next family comes up, they're perfectly nice. I hand them their food and say, "Would your son like some cookies?" The parents look at eachother for a moment and then push him forward. So his mom says, "Say thank you to the nice girl, Jessica." Oops! Little did I know, that son was a daughter!!!. She had shoulder length hair and it was messily pulled back into a low ponytail, like men sometimes have it. I felt so bad! No parent wants their daughter to be called a boy.

Salome. What grade was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    Salome. What grade was this?
    High school, sophomore year!

pinkieparrot, I was reading back a few pages. It wouldn't be a class picture without some kid making a funny face. I think it's adorable.

I just made my way through this entire thread. Great way to start the day with a smile.

Although I'm sure I've had plenty of embarrassing moments there are only a couple that come to mind. Here is a recent one...

I attended a business conference in Vegas last year. When I finished up on my last day I headed straight for the poker tables and ended up playing for 17 straight hours, until I finally had to make a mad dash to the airport to catch my plane. Needless to say I was pretty exhausted. After waiting for hours at the airport for a delayed plane I was so happy to finally be aboard. I had an aisle seat and sitting next to me was a very nice elderly couple. We talked for quite a while, but at some point during the conversation I fell sound asleep. Next thing I know an hour had passed and I was being prodded by a nice young gentleman from across the aisle. Apparently the elderly gentleman had a dire need to use the bathroom and he and his wife had been unable to wake me so that he could get past. They had to enlist the help of the guy across the aisle when he couldn't hold it any longer. I was sooooo embarrassed! When the elderly man went racing past me to the bathroom I said to the young man that had woken me, "I wasn't snoring was I?!?". He and his friend kind of chuckled and said, "no". Then his friend pipes up, "you were talking in your sleep though, damn girl, you shoulda heard the things you were saying!" and then they both cracked up. My eyes got really wide and I was mortified for a moment before I realized they were just joking with me.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

That sounds SO embarrasing Zhora!! I would have been SO in the face! Atleast you were not were you?! lol Just think about it, you will never see these people again!!

+ Reply to Thread