+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a reading for a memorial service

That sounds like it will be a wonderful celebration, myrosiedog. It's too bad that it seems difficult to find uplifting and happy poems to remember people by. Someone should get on that and do a book. I'm sure it'd be popular.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Today was the service

Well today was the service. We had it outside and the weather was so nice. The people that owned the property had what we in the south call a "pole barn". It has a roof and no sides. The floor is poured concrete and they had tables set up with flowers on each of them and pictures of my friend.

They had a tv with a montage of photos throughout his life. Very sad, I couldn't watch it.

His 9 year old daughter opened the service with a poem which she did a great job. Then my husband and I were called up together, which I had not counted on. He stood behind me while I delivered the eulogy. I have given many speeches over the years and have talked to rooms of 800 or more people and nothing was as hard as what I did today. I could hear my voice quavering and my hands were shaking, but I got through it. Good thing I never looked back at my husband because I found out later, he was standing there crying. I've only seen him cry 2 times before and neither were at a death or funeral. After I read my part, I gave a copy to my friend who's husband it was the service and sat down while my husband did his reading. Then a friend of ours left her 9 year old next to me because her husband was having a hard time and walked off with him. The kid starts BAWLING and throws herself on me and just SOBBED all during the next speaker. That got me crying and finally I got up and took the kid to find her parents. (I cannot belive she left her child like that knowing she was upset)

There were songs and 2 more people spoke and they did the photo montage and then the party started.
    There were huge slabs of BBQ ribs, 20 pounds of potato salad from scratch, 10 gallons of gumbo, coleslaw, beans and other stuff and there were about 10 cakes. There were about 150 people there. It was really nice and I saw some old friends and everyone told stories.

Most people came in Tampa Bay Buc's shirts and jersey's as that was his favorite team.

It was a great sendoff and one I'm sure he would have loved.

Right now, I am SPENT. Emotionally and physically.

I am glad this is behind us tho, because now there is closure and everyone can move forward and that poor family needs it as they have gone through SO much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    myrosiedog...even tho I didn't know your friend-just reading your posts lets me know what an awesome man he must have been and what an impact he had on people's lives. What a wonderful tribute to the life of your friend......the celebration rather than the sadness was a great send off. Now I hope that you, your husband and this man's family are able to move forward and celebrate your friends life by living your life to the fullest!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

myrosiedog: That sounds like it was truly an amazing ceremony for an amazing man. It's wonderful that so many were there to help remember and celebrate his life.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123