+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great presents for special occasions

Great presents for special occasions

I need suggestions for a specific gift and I thought I might not be the only one. This thread can be a place to share and ask for ideas.

When I had my son, my sister presented me with a stunning handmade scrapbook in which I was to add pictures of my son. The theme of the book is lullabies and it took her a good four months to make it. Needless to say, my husband and I were speechless.

My sister is now pregnant and I want to offer her something as special. My problem is, I have no artistic talent whatsoever.

Do any of you have ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.

Does she know if she's having a boy or girl? Does she have a particular theme for the baby's room or crib?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Bottle of J & B Scotch
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Does she know if she's having a boy or girl? Does she have a particular theme for the baby's room or crib?
    When I read DesertRoses question, I thought of you and was going to suggest that she get you in on this discussion.

Rose, can you embroider? A little quilt with emboidered blocks would be a keepsake. You could probably even find a quilt shop where you could get help.

That word just looks so wrong, but I'm almost sure that it's spelled right.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    When I read DesertRoses question, I thought of you and was going to suggest that she get you in on this discussion.

Rose, can you embroider? A little quilt with emboidered blocks would be a keepsake. You could probably even find a quilt shop where you could get help.

That word just looks so wrong, but I'm almost sure that it's spelled right.
    looks like it's spelled right to me also even after the J & B
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post

You spelled it right the first time, but left the "r" out the second time. I used to LOVE to embroider. It was so relaxing and allowed me to be more creative than crossstitching.

As for the topic at hand, I'll think about it. I've been to so many baby showers over the years. Surely I can think of something I thought was really cool.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

So far I like the J & B Scotch idea, but for me, not my sister.

Lildago, she doesn't know the sex of the baby yet.

I don't embroider, but if I find a cool project I might try to learn.

Cross stitching is easy to learn. I saw tons of baby patterns today at Hobby Lobby. I don't know if you have one in Montreal but if you can find something similar, just go walk around and see what you can find. I get alot of ideas just looking around in there.

How about painting an unfinished or older piece of furniture. I buy pieces at Hobby Lobby or older ones at garage sales and put my own creative finish on it. I've done little rocking chairs for my kids and a small table and 2 chairs for Lily. You don't have to be creative to slap on a coat of paint and stencil something on it. I just bought an old wooden rocking horse at a garage sale that has seen better days. It was $2!!! I've stripped it and am about to redo it for my little guy, complete with a black yarn mane and tail and a red bandana around it's neck.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

DesertRose, how exciting to have a new nephew or niece on the way! Obviously, something handmade would be very special.

Here are a few simple ideas:

You could create your own special book of songs and rhymes that parents sing with their kids. So often, people can't remember all the words or movements that go with the baby and toddler songs. You could format the songs in a nice font on the computer and print them each out on some beautiful cardstock. Maybe use some colored paper, fabric or felt cut-outs of animals and shapes to illustrate the book. You could then use some basic bookbinding techniques and handmade papers to create a cover. Punch holes and pull a beautiful ribbon or cord through to hold it all together. I have some books with songs and movements if you need ideas. This is actually a rather easy project, it just needs a little time to pull it all together.

Touch and feel Family Photo Album for baby: If you go to a fabric store, you can purchase fabric sheets to print on. Print different pictures (sizes 2x3 up to 4x6) of loved ones. Mom, Dad, Grandparents Aunts, Cousins, Pets etc. After you print the sheets follow instructions to make them color safe. Use pinking or other scissors to give the pictures a nice edge. Fuse the pictures to sturdy pieces of felt (not the flimsy stuff). You could make a special cover with a photo of mom and dad. Figure out different ways to create a fun book with the family photos. Sew a textured piece of fabric over the top of one photo for peekaboo. Attach another to a page in a fabric envelope that baby can pull in and out. Use some clear vinyl over one to look like a window. Make one picture look like a star with some other textured fabric stars on the page. Sorry, my mind is mush right now so I'm not coming up with good page examples. Do page cutouts and all sorts of things to add to the "feel" of the book. Babies love the different textures. My kids, even as babies LOVED to have their own picture books of the family and would always point out "unkie" or "gramma". It's especially good if you have family that is far away.

Sorry not to be more specific with the how to info. Just thought I would pass along those ideas.

lildago, just saw your post. Good ideas!
    Last edited by applesauce; 03-24-2006 at 12:27 AM.

These are all fabulous ideas, and I just have to say there is nothing more exciting than the anticipation of a new baby in the family.

I've done this a couple of times for some expecting friends, and they loved it. Find out the color scheme of the baby's room, or better yet, have mom either go with you and pick out the fabric, or use some extra fabric she may have left over, and make a fabric-covered memo/photo board to put special pictures of the newborn, or congratulatory notes from friends, etc. Examples and intructions here:

http://www.craftygal.com/archives/SU-2002/tableSU-2002.htm

or here:

http://www.diynet.com/diy/lv_linens_fabrics/article/0,2041,DIY_14122_4258665,00.ht ml

It doesn't take a lot of skills, and is actually a really fun project.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast