+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Great presents for special occasions

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Great presents for special occasions

I love the idea of the fig tree...plus it shows you put some thought into it...

Two thumbs up for that gift
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Great idea! Love giving trees as meaningful gifts. They keep on giving.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There are some excellent ideas in this thread!!! Love the fig tree idea.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3003795;
    I'm stumped. My aunt and uncle who are actually more like grandparents to me are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary next week. We're having a special party for them on Thursday and I still don't have a gift. The 60th is supposed to be diamond. Their children are giving them jewelry so that's out. Besides, diamonds aren't exactly affordable for me. I've shopped and shopped and although I'm not opposed to shopping , I've found nothing. So, any suggestions?

There are other kinds of diamonds. Do they enjoy baseball at all? You could get tickets to be used in the spring or baseball t-shirts or other merchandise.

Could you find something related to the year in which they got married? Did they have a special song or movie they associate with their courtship that you could find a copy of for them?

FORT Fogey

This suggestion relates back to the question about what to do for a baby gift.

When I was in graduate school and we wanted to do a shower for friends who were getting married and had little cash to buy both shower and wedding gifts, I came up with the idea of doing a scrapbook and having everyone submit something for it. I enlisted the help of the groom to be who got me a list of addresses for the bride's out of town friends and family, and then, because he thought the stuff people were sending about her were so much fun, he gave me a list of addresses for his friends and family too (this would be much easier now that the requests could be sent via e-mail to almost everyone). I offered a few suggestions of what people might send--favorite stories about the couple, photographs, favorite recipes, hints for a happy marriage--but people were really much more creative than that. I got tons of pictures the couple had colored as children, stories they'd written in college, photographs of both of them in the tub as infants etc. I put those together with similar submissions from people who were local, we had a brunch, and we presented the scrapbook to the couple. They loved it, but so did the people who simply couldn't make it to the shower because they lived much too far away from where we were all going to grad school (we were in Illinois, and the groom's family was in Michigan while the bride's family was in Colorado). They even had the scrapbook at the wedding reception, so everyone could see how it turned out.

When that couple's daughter turned thirteen a couple of years ago, I got a letter from her mother asking for a submission for a scrapbook to be presented to her to welcome her to her teenage years, so the tradition is continuing.

You could do a similar thing for a baby shower. Ask people to send you--or bring to the shower--something to put in a scrapbook for the baby. Or you could assemble a book for the parents to be on everyone's best advice for new parents. Even if not everyone at the shower are parents, they'd probably have some ideas as to what makes a good parent, because they'd likely have favorite childhood memories of what their parents or other adults did for them when they were growing up. You don't have to be particularly good at scrapbooking to do this either. When I did it, scrapbooking wasn't the popular hobby it is now. Just simply putting the submissions in a nice scrapbook is enough, because seeing what people come up with to submit is the fun part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345