+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 302

Thread: Did You Know?

  1. #11
    Go Bruins! Qboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    LOST in the 70's
    Posts
    10,321
    The other day I heard that there are more people alive on earth right now, than the total number of dead people who ever lived on the planet since the beginning of time. Can anyone verify that? Because it just sounds incredible to me. And if it's true, the human race is way out of control.

    You people need to stop breeding! :nono
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

  2. #12
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    You people need to stop breeding! :nono
    I didn't make any more, honest!

    The little lump of flesh just forward of your ear canal, right next to your temple, is called a tragus.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  3. #13
    Me and my shadow Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Always together.
    Posts
    12,885
    I could make a pest of myself in this thread. Did you know the original Coca Cola actually had cocaine in it? Did you know there's a cat festival in Peru featuring food made from cat meat? Did you know women have 30-60% more connecting "wires" between the two halves of the brain making them better able to talk about their feelings and verbalize intuitions?
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 03-17-2006 at 07:41 AM.
    Count your blessings!

  4. #14
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by springkey View Post
    did u know that pigs have orgasm that can last for 30mins?

    In my next life, I want to be a pig!

  5. #15
    Who Dat lildago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,522
    A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

    In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

  6. #16
    Resident curmudgeon Newfherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Enchanted by a beautiful Soprano
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
    Sorry, but that's a myth.
    http://ask.yahoo.com/20021002.html
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.htm
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

  7. #17
    Premium Member FinallyHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,306
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.htm

    Claim: A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
    Status: False.

    Origins: Anyone
    who has been on the Internet more than a week has probably received at least one of those annoying lists of "facts": dozens and dozens of items of no real significance that somebody thought would be cool for you to know. It is indeed fortunate that the lists are usually composed of items of no real significance, because many of the entries are of dubious veracity. The purpose of these lists apparently is not to educate the masses (however trivially), but to induce readers into the information age equivalent of a scavenger hunt, sending them scurrying all over the Internet in an attempt to verify the truthfulness of the entries. Ours is one of the virtual doors that gets knocked on quite frequently by these scavengers, and while we're glad to help, our job is never done because anyone can make up lists like these just invent four or five of the most far-fetched statements you can imagine, and follow them with the phrase "and no one knows why." To wit:

    Ostrich eggs have no yolks, and no one knows why.

    Julius Caesar was left-handed, and no one knows why.

    Banging your head against a solid wall really hurts, and no one knows why.
    The winner (so far) of the Most Ludicrous Entry contest is the claim that a duck's quack doesn't echo. Unfortunately, it's also the item we're most frequently asked about. The premise is just silly: a duck's quack (and presumably, of all the sounds known to man, only a duck's quack) has some special sonic property that causes it not to echo. We're not talking about a situation where a landform creates an acoustic shadow (a phenomenon under which even loud sounds can be inaudible to nearby listeners), but the claim that a duck's quack doesn't echo under any conditions.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

  8. #18
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,353
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    This is a good one, and not up for a debate, just an astonishing fact:

    Since Roe v. Wade, there have been 40 million abortions. That number is staggering to me considering if abortion was never discovered (?sorry for that word) or illegal, there would be 40 million more people in this world!
    Actually, that's not true (that there would be 40 million more people in the world). Did you know...15 to 20 percent of all pregnancies end in miscarriage? Also, the infant mortality rate for Canada alone is 4.75 deaths per 1,000 live births. (Sorry, not debating, just couldn't resist. )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  9. #19
    FORT Fanatic Melitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Did you know that chewing on ice can put tiny cracks in the enamel of your teeth, and make you get cavities?
    Your killing me!! As I am sitting here wandering through different forums on the Fort...chewing on a big cup of ice! I can't stand to drink water, so I chew at least 8 glasses of ice everyday. Guess I better go make a dentist appointment.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

  10. #20
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Actually, that's not true (that there would be 40 million more people in the world). Did you know...15 to 20 percent of all pregnancies end in miscarriage? Also, the infant mortality rate for Canada alone is 4.75 deaths per 1,000 live births. (Sorry, not debating, just couldn't resist. )
    No debate here, (only becuase I'm too lazy to actually find the research to support that number) but if there have been 40 million abortions, where would the babies be if they were not aborted? Even if you consider miscarriage and mortality rate- say 50%- that still leaves 20 million babies that would have been born. Still a staggering number.
    Last edited by stinkerbell; 03-17-2006 at 02:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.