+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Did You Know?

Newfherder: I never knew. Now I know. And I just may use it sometime. HA!

Did you know that since 1495, no 25-year period has been without war.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Bathmophobia- Fear of stairs or steep slopes.

http://phobialist.com/
    Thanks Newf, but if I tell people that, won't they think I have a fear of bathing????

But that hits it on the head for me: stairs and slopes. It's because I'm such a clutz. Actually I fell down an escaltor as a kid so those scare me and so do regular stairs.

Bet you didn't know that!!!!! (to keep the thread on topic here. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    In 1945, a computer at Harvard malfunctioned and Grace Hopper, who was working the computer, investigated, found a moth in one of the circuits, and removed it. Now when something goes wrong with a computer it is said to have a "bug" in it.

Oh, and speaking of bugs, also: The house fly buzzes in the key of F and beats its wings over 20,000 times a minute. (Thanks to my very good friend, who just happens to be a musician/awesome jazz pianist, for this one! )
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

That is very interesting, KarateGirl.

Now, I throw out a question to all of your smart persons of intelligent repute.

**Why do they call a computer mouse, a mouse? I have no idea

I don't know but I always assumed because it kind of looks like a mouse. Especially the original mouses (not wireless) because the cord looks like a tail.

Did you know that......
    The banjo as we know it originated from a single-string, gourd-bodied African lute (sometimes called the "hodu") which the Griots of West Africa played to accompany storytelling. Later, banjo makers replaced the gourd with a wooden hoop with a skin stretched over it. A four-string version emerged as early as the late seventeenth century, and the fifth string (usually attributed to Scottish-American Joel Walker Sweeney, 1820) can be seen in paintings of black banjo players from between 1777 and 1800 (Linn 2). The five-string banjo is probably the first distinctly African-American instrument. It played a large role in the development of one of the best-loved music traditions of North American extraction, bluegrass, as musicians with Celtic (mainly Irish) cultural backgrounds worked, performed and freely swapped musican techniques with African-American musicians in the mountain regions of mid-19th to early 20th century Kentucky, N. Carolina, the Virginias and Tennessee. The stereotypical image of banjo-playing blacks which was so popular in the Mistrel-show tradition, became quite offensive to the Afro-American community as a whole in the turbulent post Civil War period, and as a result, the instrument gradually became less and less popular amongst blacks, and its use became instead sterotyped with the "poor mountaineer" "hillbilly" who "barely kept his family fed". The free-wheeling three-finger style of banjo-picking perfected and brought to great popularity by the legendary Earl Scruggs, was borrowed from three-finger guitar techniques of the post WWI period. He often played with Bill Munroe, pioneer of the modern Bluegrass tradition, at the Grand Ole Opry, and this was undoubtedly one of the reasons that the banjo is so closely linked to that cross-cultural musical genre?

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    **Why do they call a computer mouse, a mouse? I have no idea
    Another question on a similar theme;
    Why is the plural of mouse mice, but the plural of house, houses?

hehe..love these!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    Another question on a similar theme;
    Why is the plural of mouse mice, but the plural of house, houses?
    Because "hice" would sound like a bad disease...

A quick Googling will tell you that the general consensus amonst folks that like to ponder and research such things, is that there have been about 100 billion people who have lived upon the earth since the beginning of our species (Homo sapiens sapiens Linne, 1758). They usually start with the assumption that there was a very small population in northern Africa around 50,000 years ago, and work their way forward from there. This means that despite our immense "population boom", only about 6% of all the people who have ever lived, are alive at the present day - despite an "urban legend" which began in the 1970s which claimed that the figure was somewhere around 75%!!

+ Reply to Thread