+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Did You Know?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or
    purple.

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament
    building is an American flag.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.
    No wonder they're so much more interesting! And more difficult to ignore

Really? Well now we only have Toonies...no bills. So if you have one, keep it. It may be worth something some day.
    --------------
    Did you know: Most insects are edible. According to eatbug.com, there are 1,462 recorded species of edible insects. And they're quite nutritious. For instance, 100 grams of cricket contains only 121 calories, less than half of beef. A cricket contains only 5,5 grams of fat, compared to 21,2g of beef. Beef contains more protein (23,5g - a cricket 12.9g) but the 100g of cricket also contains 5,1g of carbohydrates, 75,8 mg calcium, 185,3 mg phosphorous, 9,5 mg iron, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.

I'll stick to the beef, thanks! Attachment 17067
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 06:27 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Did you know...I won't be intentionally eating any bugs!

Your brain uses 20% of your body’s energy, but it makes up only 2% of your body’s weight.

· Your cerebral cortex is about as thick as a tongue depressor. It grows thicker as you learn and use it.

· The brain feels like a ripe avocado and looks pink because of the blood flowing through it.

· Your brain generates 25 watts of power while you’re awake…enough to illuminate a light bulb
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    You might want to chalk that one up to "urban myth". I still have the last 3 incarnations of the $2 bill, dating back to the 50's. The most recent one was the only one to display the Parliament buildings, and it's a Canadian flag that's flying.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Qboots, it is an American flag on the Canadian bill...just not a United States one!

Someone brought that same list to work the other day, and there's a couple of others I questioned. So being hung up on the truth the way I am--

Re: Is it true that babies are born without knee caps? If so, why?
    Area: Anatomy
    Posted By: Edward Gotlieb, M.D., Pediatrics
    Date: Wed Apr 23 20:57:54 1997
    Area of science: Anatomy
    ID: 860358970.An
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Newborns do have kneecaps. Kneecaps form about the fourth month of fetal life. However, they don’t show up on x-ray very well because they’re not ossified, or bony. At this point in life, the kneecaps are made of a cartilaginous material. The growth centers surrounding the kneecap form late in developmental life in utero and may not appear until just before or just after the infant is born.

Did You Know...

Anna Bates (née Swan) (Canada) (1846–88), who measured 2.27 m (7 ft 5.5 in) tall, gave birth to a boy weighing 10.8 kg (23 lb 12 oz) and measuring 76 cm (30 in) long, at her home in Seville, Ohio, USA, on January 19, 1879, but the baby died 11 hours later.
    The heaviest baby born to a healthy mother was a boy weighing 10.2 kg (22 lb 8 oz) who was born to Sig. Carmelina Fedele (Italy) at Aversa, Italy in September 1955.

It was reported in a letter to the British Medical Journal (1 February 1879) from a doctor in Torpoint, Cornwall, UK, that a child born on Christmas Day 1852 weighed 9.5 kg (21 lb).

The only other reported birthweight in excess of 9 kg (2O lb) is 9.13 kg (20 lb 2 oz) for a boy born to a 33-year-old schoolmistress in Crewe, Cheshire, UK on November 12, 1884.

The above is from the Guinness Book of World records
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Qboots, it is an American flag on the Canadian bill...just not a United States one!
    "American" and "North American" are not interchangeable terms.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Hey Qboots...they are in South America!! I found that so confusing at first.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    ..Your brain uses 20% of your body’s energy, but it makes up only 2% of your body’s weight....Your brain generates 25 watts of power while you’re awake…enough to illuminate a light bulb
    So does that mean that heavy thinking and concentrating will make me tired but not reduce the size of my thighs? And when I'm asleep, it's dark out, even if it's in the afternoon?

Did You Know: the fear of failure is called kakorrhaphiophobia? Do they have a pill for that?

Did you know that there is a breed called Karelian Bear Dogs? They do not make a good family pet, nor is it a dog suited for urban households, but as a big-game hunter the breed has no match.

Specially trained Karelian Bear Dogs are used in combination with aversive conditioning tools and structured learning situations to teach bears to recognize and avoid human territory. "Bear shepherding" techniques are an innovative combination of animal-to-animal communication using Bear Dogs and human-to-bear communication. Long used as hardy hunting dogs in northern Europe the KBD is intelligent, fearless and full of boundless energy. They raise them here in Canada and have been recognized by the Finnish government for their excellent training.

Attachment 17338Attachment 17339Attachment 17340Attachment 17341
    How cute are they?!
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 06:31 AM.

It would take 1,5 million mosquitoes to suck all the blood out of a human.

+ Reply to Thread