+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Did You Know?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    Did you know that the skin on a fully grown person weighs 3 kg (approx. 6.6 pounds)?

I went to a weight loss meeting last night. There was a woman there that spoke that lost 240 pounds!!!!! She says she has about 30 pounds of extra skin she needs removed but can't afford the plastic surgery. GEEZ.

I was impressed she lost so much. but who knew skin weighs so much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Did you know that the indentation at the bottom of the bottle strengthens the structure of the bottle but also is there to trap the sediments.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Did you know that the WORLD'S LARGEST EASTER EGG is located here in Vegreville, Alberta? And I've seen it! It's Incredible.

EggFacts
    Egg Width: 25.7 feet
    Egg Height: 18.3 feet
    Total Height: 31.6 feet
    Material: Alumuinum skin
    Turns like weathervane
    Weight: 5,000 pounds
    Star Patterns: 524
    Triangular Pieces: 2,206
    Visible Facets: 3,512
    Nuts and Bolts: 6,978
    Internal Struts: 177
    Man Hours: 12,000

The World's Largest Easter Egg

Vegreville, Canada is the site of the largest Easter egg in the world. The Easter egg or Ukranian 'Pysanka,' was constructed in 1975 to commemorate early Ukranian settlements in an area east of Edmonton.

The unique nature and complicated geometry of the egg shape made the design of the Pysanka a highly complex undertaking. Professor Ronald Resch, a computer scientist at the University of Utah, agreed to take on the design project.

Professor Resch was responsible for the entire Pysanka concept which required the development of new computer programs. The Pysanka is really an immense jig-saw puzzle containing 524 star patterns, 2,206 equilateral triangles, 3,512 visible facets, 6,978 nuts and bolts, and 177 internal struts.

World Recognition
    As a result of Professor Resch's work and leadership, the Pysanka is recognized around the world as not only a unique artistic masterpiece but also an achievement of nine mathematical, architectural and engineering firsts. The design represents the first computer modeling of an egg.

Thousands of tourists from around the world visit Vegreville annually and marvel at the Pysanka. It measures 25.7 feet long, 18.3 feet wide, and stands 31.6 feet high. It is one of the premier tourist attractions on the Trans Canada Yellowhead Highway.

The 2,000-pound aluminum skin is attached to the central mast at a 30-degree angle with 177 turnbuckle struts. Cessco International Ltd., Edmonton, fabricated the massive internal structure which weighs 3,000 pounds. The Pysanka rests on a 27,000-pound base of concrete and steel and turns in the wind like a weathervane.

Symbolic Meaning
    Paul Sembaliuk, an authority on traditional Easter egg design, used three colors - bronze, silver and gold - to symbolize prosperity. Bronze is the predominant colour of the design and suggests the "good earth", the land on which our forefathers struggled for survival and existence.

Five distinct symbols make up the design. The radiating gold stars on the end sections symbolize Life and Good Fortune. The three-pointed stars, in alternating gold and silver, symbolize the Trinity, representing the strong devotion to the faith of our ancestors. The band of silver circumscribing the Pysanka, with no beginning or end, symbolizes Eternity.

On the central barrel section, gold and silver windmills with six vanes and points symbolize a Rich Harvest. The most prominent motif of the design - the silver wolf's teeth which point to the centre from the silver band - symbolize the main message of protection and security afforded our pioneers by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The dedication message is written in four languages: English, Ukrainian, French and German. It reads: "This Pysanka (Easter Egg) symbolizes the harmony, vitality and culture of the community and is dedicated as a tribute to the One-Hundredth Anniversary of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who brought peace and security to the largest multi-cultural settlement in all of Canada."

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/easter-egg.html

Sharks attack some 50-75 people each year worldwide, with perhaps 8-12 fatalities, according to data compiled in the International Shark Attack File (ISAF). Although shark attacks get a lot of attention, this is far less than the number of people killed each year by elephants, bees, crocodiles, or lightening. On the other side of the ledger, we kill somewhere between 20-100 million sharks every year through fishing activities.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Did you know that the WORLD'S LARGEST EASTER EGG is located here in Vegreville, Alberta? And I've seen it! It's Incredible.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/losolomio/Pysanky.jpg
    EggFacts
    Egg Width: 25.7 feet
    Egg Height: 18.3 feet
    Total Height: 31.6 feet
    Material: Alumuinum skin
    Turns like weathervane
    Weight: 5,000 pounds
    Star Patterns: 524
    Triangular Pieces: 2,206
    Visible Facets: 3,512
    Nuts and Bolts: 6,978
    Internal Struts: 177
    Man Hours: 12,000

The World's Largest Easter Egg

Vegreville, Canada is the site of the largest Easter egg in the world. The Easter egg or Ukranian 'Pysanka,' was constructed in 1975 to commemorate early Ukranian settlements in an area east of Edmonton.

The unique nature and complicated geometry of the egg shape made the design of the Pysanka a highly complex undertaking. Professor Ronald Resch, a computer scientist at the University of Utah, agreed to take on the design project.

Professor Resch was responsible for the entire Pysanka concept which required the development of new computer programs. The Pysanka is really an immense jig-saw puzzle containing 524 star patterns, 2,206 equilateral triangles, 3,512 visible facets, 6,978 nuts and bolts, and 177 internal struts.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/losolomio/pysanky2.jpg
    World Recognition
    As a result of Professor Resch's work and leadership, the Pysanka is recognized around the world as not only a unique artistic masterpiece but also an achievement of nine mathematical, architectural and engineering firsts. The design represents the first computer modeling of an egg.

Thousands of tourists from around the world visit Vegreville annually and marvel at the Pysanka. It measures 25.7 feet long, 18.3 feet wide, and stands 31.6 feet high. It is one of the premier tourist attractions on the Trans Canada Yellowhead Highway.

The 2,000-pound aluminum skin is attached to the central mast at a 30-degree angle with 177 turnbuckle struts. Cessco International Ltd., Edmonton, fabricated the massive internal structure which weighs 3,000 pounds. The Pysanka rests on a 27,000-pound base of concrete and steel and turns in the wind like a weathervane.

Symbolic Meaning
    Paul Sembaliuk, an authority on traditional Easter egg design, used three colors - bronze, silver and gold - to symbolize prosperity. Bronze is the predominant colour of the design and suggests the "good earth", the land on which our forefathers struggled for survival and existence.

Five distinct symbols make up the design. The radiating gold stars on the end sections symbolize Life and Good Fortune. The three-pointed stars, in alternating gold and silver, symbolize the Trinity, representing the strong devotion to the faith of our ancestors. The band of silver circumscribing the Pysanka, with no beginning or end, symbolizes Eternity.

On the central barrel section, gold and silver windmills with six vanes and points symbolize a Rich Harvest. The most prominent motif of the design - the silver wolf's teeth which point to the centre from the silver band - symbolize the main message of protection and security afforded our pioneers by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The dedication message is written in four languages: English, Ukrainian, French and German. It reads: "This Pysanka (Easter Egg) symbolizes the harmony, vitality and culture of the community and is dedicated as a tribute to the One-Hundredth Anniversary of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who brought peace and security to the largest multi-cultural settlement in all of Canada."

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/easter-egg.html
    Wow, that's SOME egg. We have a big Ukranian/Russian population here where I live and they have done craft fairs selling Ukranian easter eggs. They are incredible!!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Did you know: A fresh egg will sink in water, but a stale one won't
    Attachment 17017
    Can't remember if an egg is fresh or hard boiled? Just spin the egg. If it wobbles, it's raw. If it spins easily, it's hard boiled. A fresh egg will sink in water, a stale one will float.

And it doesn't matter if the egg is colored for Easter!
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:26 AM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Did you know: A dime has 118 ridges around the edge (who has the time to count 'em?)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Did you know...
    Total U.S. traffic deaths in 2005 reached 43,200, according to the preliminary statistics released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The figure for 2004 was 42,636.
    Please...wear your seat belts. Don't get too carried away with your cellphone, makeup or other distraction. And never drink and drive.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Did you know:
    A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

Did you know:

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail can sleep for three years.

+ Reply to Thread