+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 133 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3903834;
    Whatever you have the tomatoes in will do for squash--if you don't know already, squash plants do get big and take up some room!. Mine is in a really big plastic planter. Actually, I'm so happy with my container squash (the usual squash bugs and vine borers don't seem to know it's 'up there') that I bought several of those big laundry tubs with the plastic rope handles and drilled drainage holes in the bottom, for the rest of my squash.
    Another great idea!

Okay, I finally got another planter for the squash, which already had at least an inch of new root growth when I transplanted it today (I just transplanted from the nursery container on Sunday!). I also got some, flat leaf parsley, thyme (which smells heavenly) and a Celebrity tomato plant. My brother was in town for the day and he's a master gardener, so he helped me out. I also got a bowl planter and did some lettuce - it's a Mesclun mix that is supposed to be delicious.

In other news, I located the planter, tomato cage and topsy turvy I thought had been stolen. I should say that I live in a little bungalo/cottage with only a front door. I only have a front porch that runs along the entire front of the house, with a planter about a foot deep in front of it. It's sort of like a condo, in that I don't have a yard or anything to deal with. This is my way of explaining that I never thought to look around the back of the house, where the gardeners had stowed everything very neatly Of course, my brother found them AFTER I'd planted everything in the brand new pots I bought. All that means is that I'll be going to get some other stuff to plant! Maybe another type of squash or some peppers.

Since I have another topsy turvy and already have 3 varieties of tomatoes, I was thinking about planting something else in this one. Has anyone tried other vegetables in a topsy turvy?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I planted a tomato in my topsy turvy today also! I bet you could plant cucumbers, peppers and other things in it. I love that thing. In other news, I downloaded pics of "the great wind storm of 2010" I lost a large chunk of Silver Maple in my front, but it is cleaned up now:

That IS a big chunk of the tree It took that whole big branch? My folks have a huge maple in their back yard and there's one branch that I always worry about. Luckily, if it fell, it wouldn't hit the house, but still. Your house is lovely, BTW

My brother was trying to talk me into cucumbers because they're easy. I think I'll get some and see how they do I have another big pot and a rectangular planter, so maybe I'll get more herbs or just split up the ones I have. It's going to be a while until I can harvest anything except the herbs, but I'm getting excited! The pineapple sage I planted a week ago is going crazy! If anyone is interested, try it. My bro likes to use it with fish, but I brewed ice tea with it last year or the year before and it was delicious! Plus, I just like breaking off a leaf and smelling it - just like pineapple. The common sage I planted is doing okay, but the pineapple sage may force it out, so I'll probably separate them.

I really wish I could have mint here, but some little beastie (an insect of some kind and not raccoons or squirrels) keeps eating my spearmint and chocolate mint. Last year it was gone practically overnight It's happened two years in a row, so I'm not going to bother this year. I don't do much with it, but I like to have some because my grandmother had a whole hedge of it when I was growing up. I mainly had it for nostalgia.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Boy, my mint is trying to grow into the grass I have planted 8 baskets, bought 4, 2 herbs, and 2 tomatoes. Every year I say I'm going to cut back, but every year I spend 30 minutes in the morning watering and fertilizing. I actually find it good for my soul to watch my plants growing

Matt found a variety of tomato called a Big Zac. They're now planted in his garden.

Okay, I just love that

I bought some red Gerberas today, along with red bell peppers and cucumbers. I'll do the cukes in the topsy turvy. I have high hopes! I think that, unless I move into a house with more space, I'm at my limit for plants this year. If everything does well, I'm going to have some yummy salads this summer!

I have lettuce! Okay, I have teeny tiny lettuce smaller than a pencil eraser, but it's there! I'm ridiculously excited

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3911090;
    Matt found a variety of tomato called a Big Zac. They're now planted in his garden.
    Those are some HUGE tomatoes! I'll be Zac would love that.

If you feel like I did when I found my first ever broccoli when it was dime sized...there is nothing ridiculous about it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread