+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 133 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Yikes! I still have a 12 foot snow drift in my back yard. I predict it's going to be awhile before I'm able to get in my garden.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lil Bit, you could plant snow peas...

I'm ready for it to dry up enough for me to start tilling!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I've got a few gardening questions on some things I've never grown before. What are good types of leaf lettuce to grow? What are the easiest herbs to grow? Should I buy herb plants or start from seed? Any tips would be appreciated.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3853588;
    I've got a few gardening questions on some things I've never grown before. What are good types of leaf lettuce to grow? What are the easiest herbs to grow? Should I buy herb plants or start from seed? Any tips would be appreciated.
    I usually grow a loose leaf mix, from seed. I plant this in my garden and mix the seed with sand, they are easier for me to plant and get a more even patch. As a whole, herbs are easy to grow, the biggest mistake people make is over watering them. There are many good herbs that can be grown from seed, you might want to grow the seeds or plants in pots and then you can move them inside to continue to use during the winter months. I guess I would choose herbs that you want to use in cooking or for other things and ones that will grow well in your planting zone (if you intend to plant in the ground). If you shop around, you can find really good deals on potted herbs, that is what I prefer. Some herbs, like mint, which spreads by root, should always be contained or it will spread and take over your garden in one season, so be sure to read and see what the mature spread will be. I have thyme (regular and lemon) growing in my beds and my rock pathway, it has a wonderful smell when you step on the plant and crush the leaves. There is probably a local herb society in your area or close to you and they would be a great resource to you through either a website, publication or meetings. Ours has a plant sale every year and you can get good information, advice and good prices on potted herbs.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 03-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3853691;
    Some herbs, like mint, which spreads by root, should always be contained or it will spread and take over your garden in one season, so be sure to read and see what the mature spread will be.
    I'm quoting this AND bolding it to make sure any rookie gardeners see it! Besides mint, never plant any kind of oregano or marjoram except in a container, or you will be sorry forever, it seems. Basil, parsley, dill, and rosemary are some that I know are safe to just plant in the dirt--I like to put lots of herbs so I can smell them.

With all the nasty weather, I just now planted nine broccoli and a row of sugar snap peas, and i aim to plant some taters this weekend sometime.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I sold the side lot where my garden is but the developer hasn't started building yet, so I plan to harvest the chives, daffodils, rhubarb, and mint until somebody stops me. If I'm still here when the raspberries are ripe, nobody will stop me from harvesting those. I love fresh raspberries. There is also a huge gooseberry bush grown from a start from my grandmother's bush. If there was some way to move it over to my side of the line I would, but those babies have thorns!
    Count your blessings!

I cant do any gardening yet because of the weather, but I am going to Canada Blooms next weekend to get some ideas and a taste of spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3854363;
    I sold the side lot where my garden is but the developer hasn't started building yet, so I plan to harvest the chives, daffodils, rhubarb, and mint until somebody stops me. If I'm still here when the raspberries are ripe, nobody will stop me from harvesting those. I love fresh raspberries. There is also a huge gooseberry bush grown from a start from my grandmother's bush. If there was some way to move it over to my side of the line I would, but those babies have thorns!
    You could take a softwood cutting of the gooseberry and start a new plant.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3854416;
    I cant do any gardening yet because of the weather, but I am going to Canada Blooms next weekend to get some ideas and a taste of spring!
    Lucky bugger. Some year when my knees are up to it and I think I can handle the crowds, I'm going to go myself. At least they've moved it out of that tiny place up on Spadina.

I was having a bit of a ramble around the yard this afternoon to see what, if anything, was starting to bud and I got really excited to see my first dandelion. Ordinarily that would just bring a sigh, thinking of the chores to come, but this year I'm going to pick and dry them all for dandelion leaf tea. So yay! Buying the stuff is just ridiculous. Not only is it hard to find, but it costs $9 for 16 bags. Not going to pay that anymore when I've got the stuffing growing in my own back yard.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We have had a beautiful spring, this is the first year that our flowering trees were able to keep their blooms and not get burnt by a last freeze. Our vegetable garden is ready to plant, just waiting until after April 15th and all chances of colder weather is past. Hope everyone else is thawed out and can get to planting.

+ Reply to Thread