+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 136 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Gardening

I have butter lettuce going - I love that stuff!
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

On my tomato plant I have one tomato that is almost ripe. I just discovered that I have 4 blossoms that have recently appeared=how blessed am I?!

I just ate my first home-grown (by me!) tomato today! It was SO good. And huge! This was one of the Bull's Heart tomatoes that was easily the size of a grapefruit...if grapefruit were shaped like hearts. I took pictures. If I can get them onto this computer (don't ask), I'll post some. Anyway, I was practically giddy over that darned tomato. It's the first one I've ever grown myself.

All three of my tomato plants are doing great and I have lots of little baby tomatoes on the Bull's Heart and the Early Girl. The cherry tomato plant that's in my Topsy Turvy is finally looking good, too. It's really funny though. For a month or more, the plant curved and was growing upward instead of down. Then, I looked out one morning a few days ago and the whole thing had flopped down! It's got lots of blooms on it, so I should have cherry tomatoes soon too!

Hep - I'm sorry to hear about your lettuce. It stinks when you put so much work in and something like that happens. I hope you're able to get some lettuce before the end of the summer. I don't have anywhere to plant lettuce, but I had a friend who had a huge garden and I remember the lettuce being a really quick grower.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am so, so sad. It has been a cool and rainy summer in these parts (which was actually a bit of a blessing considering the six week garbage strike) and my tomatoes are coming in really late. We have some cherry tomatoes ripening about now, but unless we have a protractedly warm autumn, I doubt that the full size heritage tomatoes I grow for sauce for the freezer will come to anything. Ditto on the habaneros, though we may manage to harvest a few jalapenos. The kale and chard did very well, though, and have now been harvested, chopped and frozen for winter usage.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I hear you Rattus Same here. And to add insult to injury, the fruit flies are nuts this year. I am waging a war with apple cider vinegar.

Still knee-deep in the learning experience of a first garden here. Something that's bringing me joy is a crop of purple-hull peas... it's a little thing, but I haven't had them fresh from the garden since my childhood, so I'm enjoying a lot of memories (and purple thumbs) in the process.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3666903;
    I hear you Rattus Same here. And to add insult to injury, the fruit flies are nuts this year. I am waging a war with apple cider vinegar.
    Ack!!! The fruit flies . I can't believe the horrible swarms of the things I have to wade through to get to...anything, really. Un-freaking-believable. I've been having the change the jar of AC vinegar twice a day and it's still not making enough of a dent. What's worse is I heard this morning on the news that there is also a bumper crop of wasps this year. At lease fruit flies can't kill you. I hope.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

coltnlasma the purple fingers are worth it aren't they...
    I planted white crowders this year and they have been really good.
    Our tomatoes were okay, but I've had better years. I've just about finished freezing all the veggies for the winter and plan to pick it once more before bush hogging it down. Then, plant the turnips and greens for fall.

I just figured out that my tomatoes were a bit over-watered, so I've cut back on watering and on fertilizing. I have a ton of tomatoes on the Early girl, all of which are still growing. The Bull's Heart has about 10 "babies" on it. Tons of flowers on the cherry tomato plant, but very little fruit. I hope everything will ripen up soon. It stays hot here until mid- to late-October, but the sun isn't so strong by then. Next year, I'm starting earlier
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I finally got some of my pictures OFF my camera and onto my computer. Here are some of my very first tomato:

On the vine
    Photobucket
    In the kitchen
    Photobucket
    Hello, Lunch!
    Photobucket
    A while back, I found this praying mantis on the inside of my storm door. I was happy I found him before the cats did! I relocated him to one of my potted herb gardens and he stayed there on the Rosemary for about a week.
    Photobucket

+ Reply to Thread