+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 135 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

We've had a Topsy Turvy going for awhile now, and we are just now starting to get some fruit, so give it two-three weeks and we'll be swimming in fruit ourselves. I wasn't the one who actually planted it-that was my mum-but it's really getting there. Our neighbours are already asking when we're going to get tomatoes. Next year we plan to do a lot more.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Finally - SUN!!!!! two days in a row! I planted about a dozen plants I had gotten from friends and plant sales that have been waiting patiently and weeded while I was at it.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member

My little herb garden is doing pretty well, so I thought I'd share a picture. I've got lemon thyme, rosemary, golden oregano, peppermint, sweet basil and chives. I also have a pot with Italian flat leaf parsley and cilantro but it didn't fit on there with the other pots.

Beautiful! I love container gardens.
    Count your blessings!

Marley: Your herbs are lovely. I buy and kill a Rosemary plant every year - no idea what I am doing wrong but I have given up!

We are starting to get lots of tomatos in our little veggie patch! They aren't very big, but the green ones that we've fried have been really tasty. And, yesterday, we picked okra for the first time. Haven't eaten that yet, but it looks wonderful. I think Henry sleeping on those tiny plants when we first planted them had something to do with it!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Anyone has suggestions for periannial flowers to plant in pots? Thanks!
    Reality TV Addict.
    Why can't my life be this interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by EmmasMama;3614409;
    Anyone has suggestions for periannial flowers to plant in pots? Thanks!
    Most periennals will do well in pots. You can combine periennals, herbs, ornamental grasses, houseplants and annuals in the same pot, just make sure that they all have the same sun, water and fertilizer requirements. Make sure your pot is large enough for the plants you pick out and use really, really good potting soil. A good rule of thumb, is to pick out one tall plant, 3 to 4 medium size plants and then about 4 to 5 trailing plants. Decide on how you will view your pot and then plant accordingly. Tall plant in the center or back, next medium size plants around or in front of the tall plant and then your trailers around the edges. It also looks nice to plant one variety of a plant in a single pot and then cluster several pots of different heights together. Try going to your local plant store, see what is available and what plants you like, the plants growth habit and bloom color. Then pick out the ones that you like, that have the same growing requirements, and plant them up. Good Luck and Have Fun.

I went on a trip and the drip irrigation went a little wonky in two of my planters - two big long planters I had of different lettuce varieties. Completely flooded! We figured out the plumbing but the lettuce was not recoverable. I was wondering before I waste a Saturday going to nurseries, do they sell lettuce plants already started like you might find tomatoes? I'm in California and I think I have a good amount of warm growing time left, but probably not enough to restart with seeds.

On a positive note, I am overflowing with tomatoes and the rest of my plants stayed watered. Poor little lettuces.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Hep - you have plenty of time to start with seeds. Out here in Ohio, I just planted my second set of lettuce seeds and I have plenty of growing time left.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Oh, yeah? That's encouraging, maybe I will go ahead and do that.

So what kind are you growing? I had one that was mezclun and one that was a butter lettuce, but I might try something different.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread