+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 134 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

You have to soak okra too.

Thanks Inthegarden & Lil Bit... I've got the seeds drying now; glad to know it wasn't as "tragic" as I first thought.
    remember to play

It rained last night so this morning I got a couple of pictures of some of my flowers. I hope they show up all right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3502355;
    You have to soak okra too.
    Or, you can buy okra plants and let your long fat dog sit on them for a few days and they will florish!

My Gardenia bush is winding down, but it has been SO beautiful. Just covered in blooms and I've cut armloads of them to bring inside because I love the way they smell.

Still only have ONE little green tomato. I think it is frying on the vine because it is so hot here this afternoon.b
    Last edited by doxie; 06-17-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Our second clematis has just wound down, and the poppies are blooming. They are annoying because they grow over our path, and we have a feeling the previous owners planted them there right before they put the house on the market. After they die off I have permission to rip them out completely.

The only things we have blooming are some of the roses in our backyard, and the honeysuckle. One of our sets of tigerlilies are getting ready to bloom. Shame that the freesia didn't take though I'm just more concerned about the wood violet-our front yard/gardens were completely overtaken by them and I've been out pulling for an hour a day. The bad part is that we had planted some good ground cover, but we can't save it, as when I pull the bad stuff out the good stuff comes too. I'll be excited when I don't see any more of it...
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3506679;
    It rained last night so this morning I got a couple of pictures of some of my flowers. I hope they show up all right.
    your flowers look beautiful... the peony looks like one I have called Dancing Butterflies it didn't bloom this year , I had to move it.

doxie take an extra smell for me, I love gardenias but they don't like it where I live... we had them at my childhood home and I loved it when they bloomed. We had Mimosa Trees in our yard too and I used to pick a bouquet of blooms and rub them on my face, they were cool to the touch. We used to eat honeysuckle blooms too.

One summer , my mom had me dig up a whole fence row of the old fashioned orange daylilies, I swore that I would never plant any in my yard... well, I have... and she loves to remind me of that pledge I made... Daylilies have really improved since that time. Here are pics of some of my daylilies .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3508636;
    The bad part is that we had planted some good ground cover, but we can't save it, as when I pull the bad stuff out the good stuff comes too. I'll be excited when I don't see any more of it...
    So why is the other 'good' and the violets 'bad'? Couldn't the violets just be left as ground cover? They are not ugly or anything.
    Then again, many gardeners confuse me with the need to keep everything in neatly manicured little patches, because I like to let anything that volunteers and looks good live... the bigger the better. My flower area is now full of Black Eyed Susan,Queen Anne's lace, white daisies, and a couple of other things I never planted--but they are pretty to me, and require NO care. I've also got tiger lilies about to bloom, many colors of daylilies, and several butterfly bushes all blooming. It's not at all 'neat' but I love it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I am the same way and have been told some of my beds look snakey and I say That what cats are for... I did get a seed packet of Love-in-the-Mist and it took over ... It had pretty blooms and great seed pods but, I had to pull up most of it for control. Most of the time I pull out the weeds and leave the bloomers alone. I like the cottage garden look.

My one flower bed, planted by a former girlfriend 5 years ago, now has the "Wild Kingdom" look
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3509655;
    So why is the other 'good' and the violets 'bad'? Couldn't the violets just be left as ground cover? They are not ugly or anything.
    Then again, many gardeners confuse me with the need to keep everything in neatly manicured little patches, because I like to let anything that volunteers and looks good live... the bigger the better. My flower area is now full of Black Eyed Susan,Queen Anne's lace, white daisies, and a couple of other things I never planted--but they are pretty to me, and require NO care. I've also got tiger lilies about to bloom, many colors of daylilies, and several butterfly bushes all blooming. It's not at all 'neat' but I love it.
    I don't understand that neat little garden idea, either. I cycle past this garden to work every day that, well, horrifies me. It is planted with neatly spaced (I'm sure they used a ruler) impatiens (the most incomprehensible, least attractive flower ever marketed in my opinion) in alternating red and white. Every year I have to stop myself from rampaging through it, which I have a strong urge to do whenever I'm in a foul mood.

Like you, I will let anything that looks good live in my yard, and that includes squirrels, raccoons, skunks and every roaming cat in the 'hood. This year a white dame's rocket popped up in the front yard, wild grape has climbed its way into the plum tree, virginia creeper is obscuring the south side of the bike shed, creeping charlie has filled in the space between the shed and the fence nicely and violets have relieved me of the obligation of purchasing anything more to fill in the strip between our walk and the neighbour's yard. And old-fashioned orange tiger lillies? Love them, love them, love them. I've planted some in the big planters on our front porch, which relieves me of the obligation of arranging them every spring, outside of planting a nasturtium in each planter for trailing effect.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread