+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 136 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

I have also had good luck with planting potted bulbs and also recommend bone meal... also - plant garlic amongst tulip bulbs and the rodents wont eat them. A few posts back mentioned coffee grounds on rhododendons. I put them on azeleas - filter and all. I figure the filter makes a pretty good mulch.
    Count your blessings!

I pulled a few radishes from the garden last night. They were hotter than Hell's hinges, which means that I didn't water them enough. I'll probably till in the remaining crop and replant. The potatoes are going crazy--I hilled them a week ago and they already need to be hilled again.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I have also had good luck with planting potted bulbs
    Gutmutter, my eyes first read this as rotted bulbs, and I did a "Say what!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I pulled a few radishes from the garden last night. They were hotter than Hell's hinges, which means that I didn't water them enough. I'll probably till in the remaining crop and replant. The potatoes are going crazy--I hilled them a week ago and they already need to be hilled again.
    Sorry about the radishes, Newfherder, but glad to hear the potatoes are coming along.

My tomato seedlings are starting to get their second leaves so I'll be transplanting them into pots soon. But best of all, they are starting to smell like tomatoes!!!

It was 31 this morning and my tulips are hanging their heads. It is supposed to be up into the mid 60s later today.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My tomato seedlings are starting to get their second leaves so I'll be transplanting them into pots soon. But best of all, they are starting to smell like tomatoes!!!
    To each his own, I guess. I love tomatoes, but hate hate HATE the smell of tomato plants, which is enough to keep me from growing them. Glad to hear that yours are doing well, though!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I just noticed this thread! The Flax idea sounds great -I'm definitely going to plant some- I wonder how tall they get - anyone know? The snow just melted off two of my new (as of last summer) perennial beds and I went to check on my peonys and they are starting to shoot up - just barely!! I just love it when you plant something and it makes it through -40 temps and 7 months of snow. For me, I live in Alaska, it's like Christmas every April and May seeing what survived the winter! We are zone 2 although many hearty zone 3 and 4 plants will make it. I envy the year round gardener.

Flax gets to be reasonably tall (and if you are harvesting, you want to pull it out at the root), mine are in the 12 inch range.

Got my nasturtium seeds in on Monday, and by Wednesday, my cat was sleeping in that windowbox, lol. I'm going to have to get her a pair of overalls, one of these days.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MidnightSun, I love peonies too, they're my favorite! Mine are getting big fat bud and will probably be blooming in a couple of weeks. I can't grow red ones here though, because for some reason reds don't do well where it gets too hot.
    My tomatoes are starting to shoot up now, and a couple are already blooming; I'll probably pinch off the first blooms though because it's a little cold at night yet, and that causes ugly fruit. I don't want my plants straining themselves producing inedible 'maters!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Premium Member
    All I've got right now is tulips. My perennials are coming up nicely though, my peonies, iris and catmint are growing like crazy. I'm really excited because my new Dutch Garden's fall planting catalog came today!

FORT Fogey
    Does anybody have a good way of keeping track of where they've planted what perrenials? Each spring when I start weeding, I'm always worried that I'm going to mess up and pull up something that is actually a perrenial rathr than a weed. With my big ones, like the black-eyed susans, coneflowers, etc, I can remember where everything is, and what needs to be cleaned out. But it seems like each year there's something I planted new the year before that dissappears. Some, like my columbine, I write off to being a delicate plant that may have just not made it through the winter. But I do think I'm in need of some sort of insurance to make sure I"m not pulling up the wrong things, and remembering when it's too late.

Draw a quick sketch of your flower beds and mark it as you plant. (This from a guy who has no idea which variety of potato he planted in which row )
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread