+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 136 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

There are probably others that know more about Tomatoes than I do, but I'll tell you what I know... leaf curl in a Tomato is usually a sign of some form of stress.
    Lack of or too much water, cold weather, aphids (tiny green bugs on the under side of the leaf), verticillium wilt, fungus.
    If the plant looks healthy, no yellow leaves, or leaf spots, you don't see any insects and it seems to be thriving, then it is probably due to the chilly, damp weather that you mentioned you were experiencing and I probably wouldn't worry too much. It should be okay once it gets warm/hot and the sun shines.

After my tomatoes get some height, I will remove the bottom leaves so that they don't touch the soil, this prevents soil fungus from splashing on the leaves when I water or it rains. Tomatoes need 1 inch of water a week. I water new plants more... until they get established Make sure the soil is soaked through. I use a liquid fertilizer for tomatoes every week and top dress with a granular fertilizer once a month ( liquid-after a rain, granular - before a rain). Try not to water/fertilize in the heat of the day. We have cutworms here, so I stick a nail in the soil next to the stem. A cutworm wraps itself around the stem at the soil line and chews the plant off at the base, the nail prevents this.
    Bull's heart produces a large sweet pink flesh fruit, that can weigh up to 2 pounds. That's a big tomato.
    If you still have room, I would plant some Roma's, they are great to eat and freeze well and stay firm when you use them in cooking.

We have ONE little green tomato on one of our four plants. It has a date with the frying pan as soon as it is big enough. Okra is massive but nothing to harvest yet.

We went to a different nursery and bought two more Knockout Roses today. They had them on sale and these plants actually look better than the three that we got in April.

We also got some plants for our patio pots. Red and purple Verbena, white Bacopa and something tall and orange that Mr. Doxie picked out.

While we were planting these, I smelled Gardenia and scurried to the side of the house to look at my Gardenia bush and it has about 12 blooms on it! We planted it 6 years ago and it's pretty big, but it hasn't ever had that many blooms on it at one time. I'm going to cut some and bring them inside tomorrow. I just love the way that they smell.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Love gardenias. They just smell like summer.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for the info, inthegarden. I think it's probably the weather, which is starting to warm up a bit. I just freaked out a bit that, after only a week, the plant was looking a bit sickly.

I'll probably end up planting some Romas as well since I LOVE having fresh tomatoes and Romas are a favorite.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think I read somewhere that tomatoes aren't very happy if the temps dip into the 50's. I've got a handful of Romas that are just turning red...I'll be eating them in a day or two, hopefully. It's been in the high 80's here, they should ripen quickly. I've already eaten my first bell pepper, and I picked one lone little crookneck squash this morning. Still no stringbeans or cucumbers, they're lagging behind everybody else. It's hard to put a salad together when my veggies won't cooperate.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I'd kill for those temps Way. We have been unseasonably cool this year with a lot of rain. I put together 6 hanging baskets and they are hanging in there but not flourishing at all Looks like more rain on the way, and the only happy plants in my garden are my hostas. Hubby has requested a patio tomato plant. Once the heat hits (and it will at some point) I get a lot of sun there. Does anyone have suggestions as to really good patio tomato plants? I'll probably head to our local nursery and see what's there. On a sad note, my dog dug up a nest of bunnies in my back yard. Not pretty.

Your local garden center can give you some good advice as to which Tomato to choose for your area. You can also check with a University Extension Servivce or Master Gardener Program in your state/area.
    I've had better luck with smaller fruit producing varieties, and make sure the container you have is large enough and the soil drains well.

This is probably a long shot, but I've been googling around and can't find any information on this - does anyone know if garden seeds can survive a hot-water wash with laundry detergent? I ask because I washed my overalls today, with seed packets accidentally left in one of the pockets. Mainly I'm wondering about watermelon as that's the last one I have left to plant... a new pack of seeds won't break me, but I'd like to use what I have if they're still viable and safe.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3502133;
    This is probably a long shot, but I've been googling around and can't find any information on this - does anyone know if garden seeds can survive a hot-water wash with laundry detergent? I ask because I washed my overalls today, with seed packets accidentally left in one of the pockets. Mainly I'm wondering about watermelon as that's the last one I have left to plant... a new pack of seeds won't break me, but I'd like to use what I have if they're still viable and safe.
    It shouldn't hurt them. I would lay them out on a paper towel to dry them, so they don't sprout or mold and plant as soon as possible.

I'm not the gardener in my family, my husband is, but there are certain seeds that he soaks in water overnight before he plants them. (I want to say pumpkin but I'm not sure) It supposedly helps them germinate.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread