+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 135 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I have a huge swath of purple and white irises that were here when I came. I mean HUGE - in the back yard. They don't usually flower well - I'm sure they need to be thinned, but this year they are ferocious! I don't know where I would move them to if I were even up to the job. I wonder if a local garden club would be interested in taking them.
    Count your blessings!

Your water garden sounds pretty, Gutmutter. And I love your daylily, inthegarden - that almost looks like my Prarie Blue Eyes variety, which is about to bloom out. That one clump must put out over a hundred flowers a season, it's one of my favorite plants.

I'm going to have to find a bunch of coworkers to donate tomatoes to. My Roma is loaded, there's no way I can eat that many at once. Maybe I should learn to make tomato sauce...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3477895;
    Your water garden sounds pretty, Gutmutter. And I love your daylily, inthegarden - that almost looks like my Prarie Blue Eyes variety, which is about to bloom out. That one clump must put out over a hundred flowers a season, it's one of my favorite plants.

I'm going to have to find a bunch of coworkers to donate tomatoes to. My Roma is loaded, there's no way I can eat that many at once. Maybe I should learn to make tomato sauce...
    I've given up on making tomato sauce. However, I usually core, seed and cut extra tomatoes into small chunks. Place them in a freezer container and lightly salt before freezing. These can be used all winter in soups/stews/etc. - any recipe that calls for canned tomatoes. I usually try to measure out the equivalent of one can per freezer container.

We still don't have any 'maters, but when the first little green ones show up, they have a date with the frying pan!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I cut and freeze my extra tomatoes, too. I loooooove stewed tomatoes with onion, bread, and a little sugar.
    Count your blessings!

I had a couple of broken-off potato plants in the garden, so I dug them up yesterday. I got a small handful of taters, so I boiled them for my breakfast--magnificent! I'm impatiently waiting for the taters to be really ready; I promised to make my mom's potato recipe for the woman I'm dating (yes, Mr "I'm Cured of Women" had a relapse )
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3479271;
    I promised to make my mom's potato recipe for the woman I'm dating (yes, Mr "I'm Cured of Women" had a relapse )
    You can't just drop a bomb like that and wander off mister. Take it to the KK thread and give us details.

Wouldn't Mom's potato salad belong in the recipe thread, not Koffee Klatch?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3479346;
    Wouldn't Mom's potato salad belong in the recipe thread, not Koffee Klatch?
    Sheesh, now I want to see the potato salad recipe in the recipe thread TOO!!!!

Forget it. That recipe is never going to be posted.
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Okay tomato growing experts, I need some advice! I planted my first ever tomatoes about a week ago. I got what I thought was a Roma plant but it's not: it turns out they're Bull's Heart, which is a Russian heirloom (they were in the wrong bin at the nursery and genius here didn't see the little tag ). They're supposed to be great, so that's not a problem. The problem is that just today, the leaves have curled in a bit on themselves, lengthwise. What is that about? Too much water? Too little? Too cold? It has been a bit chilly the past few days. I don't think it's too little water, since the soil feels moist.

This is my first attempt at tomatoes and I really don't want it to be a total bust. Should I be fertilizing them regularly? With what? I can make pretty much everything else grow, but I'm worried about the tomatoes. Help!

On the other hand, the mint I planted is growing like gangbusters! Any time you want to feel like an expert gardener, all you have to do is plant mint or zucchini!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread