+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 136 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

My rhododendron and the peonies are all blooming great right now. No, the peonies do nNOT stink, they smell wonderful, no matter how the second picture looks

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

cootie it sounds like you had a good day.
    I used the Euphorbia in hanging baskets last summer with pink Supertunias and was very pleased with the results.
    My Peonies are in the final stages of blooming, they smell so good and I'm always sad to see them go.

Proven Winners has a website, that gives good ideas on what plants to use in patio pots and hanging baskets. Suggestions on different plant combinations, and what to use in shade, sun etc.

mrd glad you are getting some blooms.
    queenb I love it !

I love peonies...we actually just planted one in our front yard and the hard thing is keeping the volunteer ground cover away, because it's choked out many a plant of ours.

So glad to be done though with the long weekend of gardening...we planted four different flowering maples, a few water misers, a good 15+ freesia bulbs, Walla Walla sweet onions, currants, blueberries, and so forth. We always think we've done a lot of work, but then we take a look at the sheer size of our backyard and it's a little bit overwhelming. I am looking forward to the red potatoes though We also did a few simple hanging baskets-petunias and then trailing lobelia. No way in the wide world of sports (heh thanks Mel Brooks) were we going to pay what some stores are asking for a hanging basket, when we have the base basket (plastic base with hanging chains, with a layer of peat moss or something as a support) and can very cheaply make our own. Not going to be as instantaneous...but yeah.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I think my peonies are going to bloom this year. I planted them 2 years ago and thought they died, but they came up last year. Didn't bloom though. They are back this spring and look great and 2 of the 3 plants have nice buds. Peonies around here usually don't blossom until around the end of May.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

Queenb, those photos are great. Boo Boo likes Peonies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lovely peonies. Mine are struggling to grow. It's soooo cold! I've had to cover my perrenials to save them from frost at night. I know I've already lost two new Hostas I planted last year! I did get a couple of daffodils up though!

Please send sunshine! =^.^=

Double Daffys.jpgtulip SM.jpg
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We had an absolutely nasty storm this last Christmas-we had snow on the ground for well over three weeks, it was the worst in my lifetime (that I know of) and well, we lost a LOT of plants. Luckily, most of them were plants we planned on getting rid of anyway, but I wasn't happy to learn that we couldn't even get the pomegranate we planted last year to grow. The weather is certainly behaving itself; we've had sun since Friday and today is rainy but it's sun and mid-70's up til next week from Thursday-on.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

It got down in the 40's last night. Weird weather. My aloe plant that I've nursed inside all winter is now looking puny after going outside the other day.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We had to replant our veggie garden today. We have had so much rain, 15 days out of 19, the seeds rotted. The only thing that came up was Okra, which would make Doxie's Henry a happy dog. But, with all the rain my flowers are doing great and I haven't had to water. We are hoping for sunshine but are going to get more rain this weekend. Rain, rain go away....

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3458326;
    We had to replant our veggie garden today. We have had so much rain, 15 days out of 19, the seeds rotted. The only thing that came up was Okra, which would make Doxie's Henry a happy dog. But, with all the rain my flowers are doing great and I haven't had to water. We are hoping for sunshine but are going to get more rain this weekend. Rain, rain go away....
    That is funny. No idea why Henry loves the Okra so much. We've had tons of rain here too but we planted plants instead of seeds in the veggie garden and they are doing great.

I am VERY concerned about my knockout roses though. I thought they were hard to kill but mine aren't looking so good. Could all this rain be a factor? They are planted in a bed that gets a lot of sun (when the sun is actually out). The three of them are in the same bed about three feet apart. One looks about like it did when we planted it 4 weeks ago. One has grown a bit but quit blooming and the third one looks dead but has two very pathetic blooms on it...... Help! I really wanted to plant these in a few other places because I was so sure that they were easy to grow.

We haven't planted flowers in the patio planters yet because the pansies that I planted last fall (that looked dead all winter) have been LOVELY for the past few weeks. I'm not uprooting anything that is alive and blooming! We also took our potted Hibiscus tree out of the sunroom and put it outside and it is loving all this rain! It's already blooming and I think that pansies and hibiscus are a pretty bizarre combo, but at least they are all alive!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread