+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 136 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495135 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3441679;
    I have plenty of plants with mostly brown leaves!

I guess I should have been more specific!

My garden has finally dried up enough to get back in it to work, and just in the nick of time. I was starting to get a lot of weeds between the rows, and the potato plants have needed hilling for at least a week now. Fifteen minutes with the tiller, another hour with my favorite ho and everything is ship-shape. I did notice a LOT of grubs. The ones that I saw were unceremoniously launched into outer space. I hate to put down a grub killer next to food, so I guess that I'm going to have to rely on the moles. At least the moles seem to leave the taters alone.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

My tater patch:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3444020;
    My garden has finally dried up enough to get back in it to work, and just in the nick of time. I was starting to get a lot of weeds between the rows, and the potato plants have needed hilling for at least a week now. Fifteen minutes with the tiller, another hour with my favorite ho and everything is ship-shape. I did notice a LOT of grubs. The ones that I saw were unceremoniously launched into outer space. I hate to put down a grub killer next to food, so I guess that I'm going to have to rely on the moles. At least the moles seem to leave the taters alone.
    Isn't that what you can expect when you spend so much time with a ho??

(sorry... I couldn't resist)
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Newf Your garden looks great.

Our garden is waterlogged along with the yard and barn lot and I am tired of walking in cow poop soup.
    I know you can all remind me in August, when it is hot and dry and the pond has dried up.

MRD

Well my magnolia tree has been a big old dud this year. The thing is HUGE. Over 20 feet tall and it got lots of these things I thought would be blooms and then they all fell off and now there are some "pods", only one of which bloomed and the others haven't changed size or shape in a week and there are very few of them. I expected a tree full of blossoms. Everyone else's magnolia is in full bloom. Not mine. I have NO luck with plants, even ones that are well established and apparantly bloomed like crazy before I moved in.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3451336;
    Well my magnolia tree has been a big old dud this year. The thing is HUGE. Over 20 feet tall and it got lots of these things I thought would be blooms and then they all fell off and now there are some "pods", only one of which bloomed and the others haven't changed size or shape in a week and there are very few of them. I expected a tree full of blossoms. Everyone else's magnolia is in full bloom. Not mine. I have NO luck with plants, even ones that are well established and apparantly bloomed like crazy before I moved in.
    There are many types of Magnolias and I am not sure which type of Magnolia that you have, but if it is a Southern Magnolia, Magnolia grandiflora, thick dark green waxy leaves, and depending on the planting zone (I'm in zone 6b) you are in, it may not be bloom buds that you are seeing, but new leaf growth. In the spring, the Southern Magnolia will drop quite a few old leaves as well as seed pods from the previous year blooms. Pods that did not fall off during the fall or winter months. It might look like it is diseased. Then you will see what looks like blooms, but they are actually new leaves and will slowly open out. They will shed the outer cover that protects the new leaf. The bloom pod is a fatter pod. They should start setting the pods in late May for blooming sporadic at first and then full bloom in June - July - August. Also I have noticed that some flowering trees will bloom heavy one year and bloom light the next. So don't get discouraged, it might be an off year.
    Here are pics that show what I was describing:
    As the months get drier, the trees and shrubs will begin to lose the extra foilage that flushed out due to the wet spring. So don't be to alarmed if you experience this, it is normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3451497;
    There are many types of Magnolias and I am not sure which type of Magnolia that you have, but if it is a Southern Magnolia, Magnolia grandiflora, thick dark green waxy leaves, and depending on the planting zone (I'm in zone 6b) you are in, it may not be bloom buds that you are seeing, but new leaf growth. In the spring, the Southern Magnolia will drop quite a few old leaves as well as seed pods from the previous year blooms. Pods that did not fall off during the fall or winter months. It might look like it is diseased. Then you will see what looks like blooms, but they are actually new leaves and will slowly open out. They will shed the outer cover that protects the new leaf. The bloom pod is a fatter pod. They should start setting the pods in late May for blooming sporadic at first and then full bloom in June - July - August. Also I have noticed that some flowering trees will bloom heavy one year and bloom light the next. So don't get discouraged, it might be an off year.
    Here are pics that show what I was describing:
    As the months get drier, the trees and shrubs will begin to lose the extra foilage that flushed out due to the wet spring. So don't be to alarmed if you experience this, it is normal.
    They bloom in May here. The entire city is in Magnolia splendor this week. Except for me.
    But thanks for the info, maybe mine is having an off year.

It's after 8:00 PM here and I just got in from an afternoon/evening of potting plants for my porch and my patio garden. I went for the usual deer resistant plants, lavendar, lobelia, oregano and threw in a flat of impatiens for the hanging pots that the deer won't get. And something new to me, Silver Fog Euphorbia in the pots with impatiens and lobelia. It is also supposed to be deer resistant. It looks sort of like Baby's Breath...

I also got some more basil and planted that in my vegetable garden (protected from the deer!)

A beautiful peony is about to bloom any day now. What a glorious time of year!

MRD

Had 5 more blossoms yesterday. Not many for the size of the tree. But still, I had some blooms.

+ Reply to Thread