+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 136 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3434087;
    How do you start lilacs? Can you do it by seed?
    Each time I've added one to a yard, I've bought a small bush and planted that. I guess you could start it from seed, but for something as substantial as a bush, I think it's easierto let a nursery do all the work of getting the plant started and strong. When you consider the number of bush or tree seeds which are released and try to start in yards each year and never make it, I think it would be easier and have better prospects long term to let a big plant like that get established and strong in a protected environment.

I've only bought the bushes and got them from a nursery or Lowe's. They aren't very expensive. Less than $10 for sure. I bought the four dwarf ones last year for $6 each. They are only supposed to get about 4-5 feet tall. The flowers are tiny but soooo fragrant. They are the ones that are supposed to bloom multiple times during the summer. We shall see. As I said though they were blooming when I bought them and I'm pretty sure that was in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3434030;
    Is there anything special about this Topsy Turvy planting system? Or can you just take a pail or something, put dirt or potting soil in it with a hole in the bottom for the tomato plant (or whatever) to hang down from.
    You could, although you'd want as light a container as possible, and as strong a chain as you can get. This stuff is quite heavy when full of dirt, and the Topsy Turvy weighs next to nothing.

Gardener's Supply sells a similar item to the Topsy Turvey, called Gardener's Revolution.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3434434;
    You could, although you'd want as light a container as possible, and as strong a chain as you can get. This stuff is quite heavy when full of dirt, and the Topsy Turvy weighs next to nothing.

Gardener's Supply sells a similar item to the Topsy Turvey, called Gardener's Revolution.
    Thanks MissThing. I hadn't thought of the weight issue.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Most are started from soft wood cuttings, that are taken either before the lilacs bloom are right after, during active growing season. You want Lilacs that are own their own root stock.

Lil Bit you might want to use a lighter weight soil.

Just for general information, a cubic foot of garden soil weighs roughly 40-50 pounds, less if there are lots of organics.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will leave the upside-down tomato experiment to my husband. That way if anything gets pulled over or broken because of too much weight, it will be HIS fault, not MINE.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Does anyone know of plants with chocolate brown flowers? Or a plant that has mostly brown leaves? We're having a luncheon at work and chocolate brown is one of the theme colors. I'm trying to find plants for the table centerpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3441392;
    Does anyone know of plants with chocolate brown flowers? Or a plant that has mostly brown leaves? We're having a luncheon at work and chocolate brown is one of the theme colors. I'm trying to find plants for the table centerpieces.
    I have plenty of plants with mostly brown leaves!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I think that she wants plants that are SUPPOSED to have brown leaves
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread