+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 126 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3431504;
    Speaking of invasions -- my sister gave me some mint to plant last year. I was careful to plant it in a space at the corner of my house, all enclosed by stone, because I know how it spreads. It behaved last year. This year, not only did it expand outside of the stone, but it tried coming up in my grass. I think it's laughing at me about now for thinking I could contain it. But at least it smells really nice.
    Next year , every other plant in your lawn will be mint
    I'll never plant anything in the mint family outside a planter again. before you get brilliant, things in the oregano family (marjoram, oregano) are even worse and almost impossible to get rid of.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3431697;
    Cootie Have fun...what a dangerous place for me. We finally planted our veggie garden this week. We didn't plant a veggie garden last year and I really missed it, nothing like a homegrown Tomato. I have never planted the Lemon cucumber. What is it like? We planted 'Pickling' Cucumbers they are picked small, 3"-5" and are really sweet and the seeds are not too big.
    Lemon cucumbers are round, yellow green in color and mild tasting. Mr. C does not like growing them for some reason?, but I am going to plant one for sure. The last plant we had provided zillions of cucumbers for my family and many of my friends.

I will post what I get tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3431540;
    I assume you're talking about the live variety? Thanks but NO thanks. I'll buy a cannon if necessary.
    I'm with you Muduh. Giant Snakes!!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Giant snakes
    I wish I had more snakes to look at in my yard; I rarely get to see one.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We actually are testing out the Topsy-Turvy system this year-we got two for tomatoes and then one for something else that I can't remember (zucchini? I dunno) to see how we can do. I am picky about tomatoes; I will only eat them right off the vine in our backyard. Supposedly the Topsy Turvy works great. We also planted butter lettuce (my parents love it) and then we got a plastic tub (one of the 30-gallon ones) from the local Fred Meyer, cut a couple big holes in the bottom, and then planted baby red potatoes. The more we can grow, the better.

It is nice though because we have a randomly-placed arch in our front gardens, with two different clematis plants growing on there. One of them is called an Armani clematis, and boy is it ever fragrant. You can smell it from several feet away. Which reminds me, I have freesia bulbs to plant.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Small victory, but I'm excited: my very first garden is showing it's very first sprouts!
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

It's a great feeling, isn't it!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm moving my bulb garden to the front of my house. I got a good start yesterday.

I'll take my seed startings and plant them Memorial day.

Is there anything special about this Topsy Turvy planting system? Or can you just take a pail or something, put dirt or potting soil in it with a hole in the bottom for the tomato plant (or whatever) to hang down from.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

How do you start lilacs? Can you do it by seed?

+ Reply to Thread