+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 134 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192132 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3431225;
    If that doesn't work, you may want to consider "An official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time."

I'm in the process of fitting my potato plants with scuba gear. I received 5" of rain on Sunday, a bit each day this week, and about 1" this morning. There is a good chance of heavy rain tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night, AND Sunday, too
    At the risk of having half of Fort on my back, I will have to come clean and tell you that I have turned my husband loose with the pellet gun. The squirrels are about to carry us away. Last year they ate one whole end of my hosta bed. Seems they prefer the lighter colored ones since they left the dark green ones. They have already started on them again. I went out the other day and half eaten leaves were everywhere. We set traps last year but all we caught was a black poodle.

Our garden has been in for about a week and I think it has rained about five of those seven days. No gulley washers though just slow and steady.

You won't have a problem with me Mudah. My husband and son have waged their own war this spring. We have a pocket gopher in the front yard and a woodchuck in the back yard. They aren't using anything as mild as a pellet gun either. I think they may have gotten rid of the woodchuck because I haven't spotted him in a couple of days, but I'm afraid it may have to turn into Caddyshack around here with that gopher! He's proving to be pretty resilient.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

A "green" option for getting rid of gophers, woodchucks, squirrels, and rabbits would be a couple of giant snakes
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Thanks Veruka and Rattus. I have Astilbe and some big ferns in the back yard, but I'll take a look at the Columbine as well. I'm glad they fixed the eaves so that we won't have to worry about all the leaves and Maples seeding up there, but of course a few things changed so I have to figure out a way to disguise some of it. I think a couple of ferns with with some woodland type flowers would look nice. I have day lilies in the front, so I'm off the lily family right now since they have gone absolutely nuts, and I'll have to get out there and deal with them The good thing is that the area I am worried about is a contained space so I'm not worried about a lily-of-the-valley type of invasion. Those things go nuts

FORT Fogey

Speaking of invasions -- my sister gave me some mint to plant last year. I was careful to plant it in a space at the corner of my house, all enclosed by stone, because I know how it spreads. It behaved last year. This year, not only did it expand outside of the stone, but it tried coming up in my grass. I think it's laughing at me about now for thinking I could contain it. But at least it smells really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3431478;
    A "green" option for getting rid of gophers, woodchucks, squirrels, and rabbits would be a couple of giant snakes
    I assume you're talking about the live variety? Thanks but NO thanks. I'll buy a cannon if necessary.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

canuckinchile I'm not sure if any of these will work in your area but you might try: Dwarf Nandina 1'-2' hgt. shrub, fall color; Dwarf Fothergilla 2'-3' hgt., blooms and fall color; Hydrangea 'Annabelle', blooms in July ; Yaupon Holly 1'-2' hgt., evergreen ; Viburnum ' Mohawk' 4' hgt., very fragrant spring bloom , deciduous ; Koreanspice Viburnum same as above but more compact than Mohawk. you might try ferns (as mentioned) or ornamental grasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3431225;
    . . . you may want to consider "An official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time."
    You'll shoot your eye out, kid!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3431504;
    Speaking of invasions -- my sister gave me some mint to plant last year. I was careful to plant it in a space at the corner of my house, all enclosed by stone, because I know how it spreads. It behaved last year. This year, not only did it expand outside of the stone, but it tried coming up in my grass. I think it's laughing at me about now for thinking I could contain it. But at least it smells really nice.
    My mint is in a large planter on my porch. That seems to contain it and it is nice to have it to put in drinks, etc. I would be very afraid to plant it anywhere in the ground here in western Oregon!

canuckinchile I'm not sure if any of these will work in your area but you might try: Dwarf Nandina 1'-2' hgt. shrub, fall color; Dwarf Fothergilla 2'-3' hgt., blooms and fall color; Hydrangea 'Annabelle', blooms in July ; Yaupon Holly 1'-2' hgt., evergreen ; Viburnum ' Mohawk' 4' hgt., very fragrant spring bloom , deciduous ; Koreanspice Viburnum same as above but more compact than Mohawk. you might try ferns (as mentioned) or ornamental grasses.
    Thanks for the ideas inthegarden! I am going to my local farmer's market in the morning and will keep your recommendations in mind. I will also be looking for heirloom tomatoes, lemon cucumbers and whatever else strikes my fancy. Our local farmer's market shows promise to start looking like those in the bigger cities up north of here as it has moved to a great location with lots of space, including parking.

I am happy to say that after planting my seeds last weekend, the weather has been very favorable here, some misty days and mild temperatures(60's) with sun from time to time.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Cootie Have fun...what a dangerous place for me. We finally planted our veggie garden this week. We didn't plant a veggie garden last year and I really missed it, nothing like a homegrown Tomato. I have never planted the Lemon cucumber. What is it like? We planted 'Pickling' Cucumbers they are picked small, 3"-5" and are really sweet and the seeds are not too big.

+ Reply to Thread