+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 136 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    Thanks to googling "transplant potted daffodil", here is your answer.

http://www.perennials.com/seeanswer....=Bulbs&start=0
    I had a pot of daffodils and hyacinth a couple of years ago, and followed pretty much these same directions. I left the bulbs in the container until Fall (per the direction of my master gardener mother) and then planted them. They've grown fantastically for the past two years.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    I have a little yard even though I have a townhouse. We have all of three units so it's a little funny when we have a condo association meeting but that's another story. My gardening secret is to invite my mother who loves to garden up every month or so during the spring and summer. She prunes and weeds and helps me plant annuals.
    sounds like a good deal

A -- Daffodils, narcissus, crocus, grape hyacinths and many others will transplant beautifully to the garden. Tulips are often a waste of time, but it is worth trying them since you can always dig them up and discard in a year or two if they don't do anything.
    Just curious; is anyone here actually anal retentive enough to even try to dig up the bulb that doesn't come up after a couple of years? I thought not.
    I'm hoping it doesn't have a surprise cold snap here, because I went ahead and put out tomato plants. I will wait another couple of weeks before I plant any squash seeds or peppers, though.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Just curious; is anyone here actually anal retentive enough to even try to dig up the bulb that doesn't come up after a couple of years? I thought not.
    I'm hoping it doesn't have a surprise cold snap here, because I went ahead and put out tomato plants. I will wait another couple of weeks before I plant any squash seeds or peppers, though.
    I always assume something ate it and try to put something else there.

I planted some bulbs this past fall and I'm not pleased with how they came up. The ones that did were really thin and tiny and the flowers fell over. I got some crocuses, but they were pretty thin also. Not sure if it's unhealthy bulbs or unhealthy soil.

Maybe it's me.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    No way do I bother digging something up. I'm usually too lazy to do the "dig and divide" thing too.

I envy you putting out tomato plants. I've got another month to go. They are teeny, tiny seedlings at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp View Post
    I planted some bulbs this past fall and I'm not pleased with how they came up. The ones that did were really thin and tiny and the flowers fell over. I got some crocuses, but they were pretty thin also. Not sure if it's unhealthy bulbs or unhealthy soil.

Maybe it's me.
    Did you add any bone meal or bulb fertilizer when you planted them? You can work some in above them this fall. I started a mound about 4 years ago and got some dud daffodil bulbs. They come up and bloom every year and are healthy looking, but the flowers are miniature. It must be the bulbs because everything else in the mound was fine.
    Last edited by veejer; 04-20-2006 at 08:13 AM.

I have a small enclosed deck, and one of my favorite things to plant each year is a container of flax. I just use the flax seed that I bought to eat, and cover the surface of the soil with the seeds. You can do this outside as soon as all danger of frost has passed.

The plants don't need to be thinned, and they grow extremely easily. Just keep them watered, in well drained soil. The soil doesn't even have to be good soil, flax isn't very picky and it does want to live.

I get beautiful blue flowers (I never bother to harvest either the seeds or the flax itself - I don't spin, nor do I play a bowed instrument , but the harvesting either for making one's own bows or for gathering seeds is pretty easy). My cat loves the plants (as she does with most plants), and it could not be any easier to get a bumper crop.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Excellent idea, MissThing. I'm going to plant some flax as soon as I get home this evening.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    ..flax...The plants don't need to be thinned, and they grow extremely easily. Just keep them watered, in well drained soil. The soil doesn't even have to be good soil, flax isn't very picky and it does want to live...
    Attachment 17039Attachment 17040
    I'm going to try some in a couple of areas I have trouble getting things to grow. Pretty blue flowers......I'm in!
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 06:27 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

those ARE pretty.

Does anyone know of some good tall grasses that would be good to plant in an area that only gets morning sun in the spring/summer? I'm looking to fill in a flower bed and these would go in a big area behind some 3 foot tall bushes. The bushes aren't overly thick and dense, but they're 3' nonetheless. The area just looks so blah.

Thanks!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway, I think most decorative grasses need full sun, but maybe someone can correct me.
    If that's true, maybe you could consider some type of evergreen thing ? I was going to suggest Japanese Maple also, but it would take forever for it to poke up behind the bushes, unless you spent a bundle on a good sized one.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread