+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Gardening

if they havn't sprouted yet, they should be fine. Unless you get a prolonged freezing period.

ETA: you could suggest that she start the seedlings in something like a yogurt cup or some other such container, inside. That way when your area is ready for planting, she'll have them all ready to go.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3388973;
    ETA: you could suggest that she start the seedlings in something like a yogurt cup or some other such container, inside. That way when your area is ready for planting, she'll have them all ready to go.
    Cardboard egg cartons are great for this, as you can just plop the whole thing in the ground, when ready to plant.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

My garden is growing strong! I planted lots of tomatoes and some strawberries and a few peppers. The squash always burn up down here so I don't even bother. I also planted a bunch of extra herbs. I had my husband pick them out. He did good! He got me chives, sage, cilantro, parsley and basil. I'm a basil growing queen so I'm not worried about that. I always have so much basil. We just finished the dried stuff from last year! I hope I can get the other plants to produce as much. I'm thinking the cilantro is a lost cause though, from what I've read, it doesn't matter how you cut, it's how much you plant. Oh well.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Has anyone ever seen that commercial for (or even tried it) topsy turvy tomato growing thing?

Topsy Turvy Turning Gardening Up

My husband loves homegrown tomatoes and we usually plant a few plants, but the commercials (more like infomercials) make this thing look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3389256;
    Has anyone ever seen that commercial for (or even tried it) topsy turvy tomato growing thing?

Topsy Turvy Turning Gardening Up

My husband loves homegrown tomatoes and we usually plant a few plants, but the commercials (more like infomercials) make this thing look interesting.
    I've seen an ad for something very similar and was intrigued. We plant a few tomato plants each year too but we use those metal "cages" and that does nothing to keep the weeds out. This looks like it would!

I'm going to plant some herbs in the next week or so. I had potted Rosemary and Lavender plants, but they didn't make it through the winter even though I brought them into our sunroom. I don't think I watered them enough. I think I'll try those again and maybe some Chives, Oregano and Basil. Happy Spring!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I know, I'm always the contrarian, but...remember, no matter what, plants will always try to grow UP, toward the light--so no matter it's planted upside down, the plant is not going to hang like the one in that ad. That plant was obviously grown the regular way, then turned over. If the tomato is planted upside down, all the branches will be reaching upward anyway--and it seems to me would probably break under the weight of the fruit.
    It might be more productive. never mind cheaper, to put a planter up on some kind of pedestal or platform, and when the tomato vines start dangling over the sides, just let them hang down. I'd say hang a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom, but between its own weight and that of a big crop of tomatoes if the plant does well--it had better be attached to a really strong hook, with really strong wire, for sure!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3389381;
    I know, I'm always the contrarian, but...remember, no matter what, plants will always try to grow UP, toward the light--so no matter it's planted upside down, the plant is not going to hang like the one in that ad. That plant was obviously grown the regular way, then turned over. If the tomato is planted upside down, all the branches will be reaching upward anyway--and it seems to me would probably break under the weight of the fruit.
    I have to disagree here, as I used a similar planter, but with 10 openings instead of just the one, last year. I grew both eggplant and cukes in it, and everything grew as it should. Now, it's true, the spot it was in gets full sunlight most of the day, but I had no issues with things wanting to grow up.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Well, in that case, I'm sorry I have nowhere to hang the thing that would get enough sun, or I'd get some. I'm apparently not going to be able to convince anyone to come dig up my garden area, so containers would be better for me this year.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Not only did I go vertical with this doohickey (techy term) last year, I also planted a (high yielding) bunch of green beans in window boxes. You can do it! I have mahogany back yard, and I can - some of it is quite heavy to work (potting soil), but it's all in the wrist .
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3395980;
    Well, in that case, I'm sorry I have nowhere to hang the thing that would get enough sun, or I'd get some. I'm apparently not going to be able to convince anyone to come dig up my garden area, so containers would be better for me this year.
    I'll call the FBI and tip them off that Jimmy Hoffa is buried there. They'll dig it up for you
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread