+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 136 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Gardening

what kind of weather do you need for a good potato crop?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Taters are fairly flexible on growing conditions. They can be planted a month before last frost, and if they should be hit by freezing weather after they sprout, they will generally come back again (although with less vigor.) I keep them watered when Nature doesn't, and hope that it doesn't get TOO hot too soon. Once they flower, one can harvest new potatoes, or one can wait until the plants die back to harvest the full-sized spuds. I don't have a good place to store them, so I generally leave them in the ground and harvest them one plant at a time. Someday when I'm rich, I'll invest in a refrigerator that I can devote to potato storage
    I'd ooh and ahh over you in your green Speedos for a Yukon Gold . . .
    You already ooh and ahh over me in my green Speedos
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3386321;
    You already ooh and ahh over me in my green Speedos
    Okay -- you've got me there! How 'bout I throw in an extra "hubba hubba" for a Yukon Gold?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Newf, do you think the 'too little' sweet taters I left in the row last year might come back? I'm not able to dig up my little garden this year, so I'm going to have to beg someone else to do it, and stick in the little plants. I should be healed by June, but that's way to late to try to start anything in GA, as the roots will never go deep enough to survive the heat if it's as dry as it usually is.
    AnywaY, if those little taters might start growing again, I'll just leave that area alone.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I don't know anything about sweet potatoes (except that I won't eat them, and THAT'S FINAL!!) but regular potatoes would have a good chance of sprouting under those circumstances.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Thanks--and you wouldn't be getting my taters anyway so there!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Aw, queen, I wish I was close by. I'd come tend to your taters. I adore all spuds. I'm not discriminating.

I'm afraid I waited too late to plant again this year. But the weather was flip-flopping so bad I was just so undecided. I hope my veggies don't burn up. I also planted a bunch of herbs. I know how to grow basil, too well it seems. But I've been searching for tips on cilantro especially and it seems a little sparse. It seems like I needed to plant a bunch of seeds at once. Anyone have any tips for cilantro?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

My daughters loves to plant things...she may have jumped the gun a little this year, though. She has already planted her zucchini and it is supposed to freeze again tomorrow. When I mentioned that they probably would not survive she said "But mom, the packet says plant from April to May so March should be ok" Good thing seeds are cheap I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3388952;
    My daughters loves to plant things...she may have jumped the gun a little this year, though. She has already planted her zucchini and it is supposed to freeze again tomorrow. When I mentioned that they probably would not survive she said "But mom, the packet says plant from April to May so March should be ok" Good thing seeds are cheap I guess.
    You may be able to save them (if it's sunny today and you have some plastic bottles - soda bottles are what I use). Fill the bottles, and put them around the area that was planted while the sun is out. Then, at sundown, move the bottles away, and cover with plastic (like a garbage bag). That might help lock in the extra heat from the solar power of those bottles of water!

This doesn't always work, but if it's not a hard frost, it might.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I am not to worried, it is only a couple of seeds...no chance to grow or anything yet. To tell the truth, I don't feel like saving the little buggers today.

+ Reply to Thread