+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283123 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I don't garden myself, but I'm so happy that this thread is active again because that means Spring can't be too far off!

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3347841;
    I don't garden myself, but I'm so happy that this thread is active again because that means Spring can't be too far off!
    Lol, and I share your joy. Spring is a huge reach for me, as there is ice on my deck, even as I type. Still, I love to be prepared. Now that I think about prepared, I might just get out that Burpee catalogue and see what I might be starting, right about now!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

It was warm yesterday and I thought of getting a head start on cutting back sucker trees that have shot up where I don't want them, black raspberries that take over if I'm not careful, etc. But tonight we're getting a foot of snow, so I lost my chance for now. I'm remembering last spring I was on crutches and couldn't do much in the way of yard work, so I'll have twice as much to do this spring.
    Count your blessings!

It was warm enough here yesterday (and last night) that I put the geranium out and left it out overnight. It's also warm today, so it'll be out there til late this afternoon (supposed to be 30 tonight).

I watered it well yesterday, but think I'll hold off on feeding until the weather is consistently warmer.

As for the vertical planter, well, it's still full of last season's potting soil. Much of last year's yield went to a guy that lives a few doors down from me, and I'm hoping he'll help me dump the old stuff out, .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

It's just gorgeous here (80 degrees, sunny) so I'm outside doing some cleanup and prepping the veggie and flower beds. Then I notice the mole tunnels. Everywhere. Making a mess out of my soon-to-not-be-dormant centipede grass. I've tried the gum trick, the stuff you sprinkle around to make them go away...they just move to another part of the yard. I've got an acre and I feel like I'm just chasing them around.

Short of going all Bill Murray in Caddyshack on them, does anyone have any suggestions? I try to garden organically so poisons would be my last resort. But if that's what it takes, so be it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3374416;
    It's just gorgeous here (80 degrees, sunny) so I'm outside doing some cleanup and prepping the veggie and flower beds. Then I notice the mole tunnels. Everywhere. Making a mess out of my soon-to-not-be-dormant centipede grass. I've tried the gum trick, the stuff you sprinkle around to make them go away...they just move to another part of the yard. I've got an acre and I feel like I'm just chasing them around.

Short of going all Bill Murray in Caddyshack on them, does anyone have any suggestions? I try to garden organically so poisons would be my last resort. But if that's what it takes, so be it.
    I found this doing a real quick search:

Pest Control: mole removal, getting rid of moles, pocket gophers

His last paragraph (the expert's) seems like pretty sound advice.
    I cater to the Regs!

I planted 500 square feet of my garden with potatoes today! That's about 20 pounds of seed potatoes (5 pounds each of Cobbler and Red Norland, and 10 pounds of Yukon Gold.) I'm already drooling in anticipation of harvest I'll wait a week or two before I plant peas and radishes, but their time is coming, too!

My ex wants to take over some of my land for her garden, and she has my blessing as long as she doesn't expect me to tend it for her. She was pointing out the approximate limits of where she wants to plant, and it looked to me to be darn near 3000 square feet All I know is that she better start busting her ass if she wants to plant it this year!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Wow. I'm in awe. What do you do with all those potatoes?? I can't plant anything until near the end of May. Mother's Day is my day to make up my moss baskets. It's my treat and everyone just lets me be while I fill my planters. I am going for red and white this year, I think. I still have to watch diligently for frost though.

I eat them. Duh!

I love potatoes fresh from the garden--there is no comparison between store-bought and home-grown. Once they are ready, I have potatoes almost every day I give a few away, but I do tend to be greedy when taters are involved.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3385279;
    . . . I give a few away, but I do tend to be greedy when taters are involved.
    I'd ooh and ahh over you in your green Speedos for a Yukon Gold . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread