+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 134 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3201719;
    Next spring you should pick up one of those kits from a garden centre for testing the PH balance/acidity of your soil. Some plants prefer one balance, but won't do well in another. Also, the soil may not have been upgraded in years. I've found from sad experience that if you don't dig in bags of poop or peat or triple-mix or whatever is needed fairly regularly, plants start doing poorly and no amount of Miracle Gro or its alternatives can make them do much better.
    You can also get a soil test for free (or a very small fee) from the master gardeners in your area. Look up the county extension office where you live. There should be a hotline phone number you can call for info about their soil testing. They'll tell you how much to bring in, and where to bring it. They will test it, and tell you exactly what you need to do to fortify it. Those help lines are a GREAT resource for most every gardening question you'll ever have. And the nice thing is that the answers come from master gardeners in your area, so you're getting advice that is specific to the conditions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3201722;
    You are probably situated over a zombie habitat

I bet that's why I've had 2 variegated maple trees die in the last two years. Damn zombies anyway!!

Since we have such a short growing season I fertilize my annual flowers like petunias weekly and really force the blooms. Rattus is also right. My impatiens looked terrible this year. It was my first summer in this house and I was so busy getting settled I didn't have much time to treat the soil. Our municipality collects compost and last weekend there was a free giveaway and I put a lot of the composted soil into the beds in the hopes it will help next year. Fingers crossed.

The Leaves are Falling! The Leaves are Falling !

chick little.jpg

I have 7 bags already.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Tomorrow is the first day of fall. We celebrated the last day of summer by grilling out and the grill is getting retired. (it's falling apart and will not move to the new house).

We will probably give the grass one final mow and that should be it for this house this year.

Hubby and I were talking today about planting a vegetable garden at the new house in the spring and he's all into building a compost bin now.
    I plan to double my herb garden next spring if nothing else. My herbs did REALLY well this year except for the lavender which I had a terrible time with and it would just not thrive and finally gave up the ghost this week.

My crabapples are falling, but I'm too busy to do anything with them and next year I won't have them.

But we are also thinking about planting an apple and peach tree at the new house. So when is the best time to plant fruit trees?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

So when is the best time to plant fruit trees?
    Well in advance of your need for the fruit (<== picture green thumb in emoticon)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3202361;
    Tomorrow is the first day of fall. We celebrated the last day of summer by grilling out and the grill is getting retired. (it's falling apart and will not move to the new house).
    Boy, you would never make an honorary Canadian I have shoveled 2 feet of snow to make a path to the BBQ. We grill all winter long and zip up our jackets when the wind chill is below minus 20.

As far as fruit trees, I know I bought a peach tree once in the early Spring and planted it. That makes sense to me as you wouldn't want to stress a young tree with colder temps right off the bat. I would check with a local garden center. I don't think you are dealing with quite the same Winter

We also leave the grill out on the deck all year round. And shovel a path out to where the grill is!

Apple trees need a period of dormancy, so fall would be best for them. Don't know about peach trees. I'd ask someone at a local nursery.

FORT Fogey

Chalk me up as another who believes in year round grilling. I've never understood why I should NOT grill at any time, given that it means I've got fewer dishes to wash!

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3201659;

So, when I 'planted' my wave petunias, I actually bought clay pots of them and dug little holes and stuck the whole pot in the hole so it looks like they are planted but they really aren't. I was worried they'd die if they came in contact with the soil in the yard. They aren't dead, but they aren't flowering.
    Bad idea--next time take them out of the pot, and put them in some properly prepared holes. They do need full sun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3201659;
    .In the spot the gets mostly sun, I put zinnias. They are half alive half dead, too. I don't get it.
    It's actually time for the zinnias to die back even if they bloomed great all year. If they didn't, it's possible you put them out too late.

I too think my yard must be zombie habitat but mine are miniature zombies. --I have never, ever had trouble growing oodles of flowers and veggies until I moved here; now my stuff grows and produces, but NOTHING gets the normal size. Usually, my plants run 1/3 to 1/2 the size of normal specimens--even their relatives in my relative's yard. Only my lilies grow the right size--are lilies zombie proof?

Oh, and tis is the first year I've planted sweet potatoes. When should I dig my (no doubt half sized!) crop?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread