+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 133 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Sorry, onei0091, I don't know what your hosta's problem is, but a word of advice on gardening in general (at least up north) - stop feeding your plants at the beginning of August. That's the time they start winding down for their fall snooze and feeding them just forces artificial growth. This is about the only thing I DO know about gardening .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Thanks, Rattus! I will remember that for next summer and will stop Miracle Gro-ing this year.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3200213;
    YES! This site has a thread for everything! Woo-hoo!!! Thank goodness there's one on gardening. I do NOT have a green thumb.

So, I recently moved from CA to MN. I am having a hard time getting anything to grow since I moved here. I recently bought a rental property, and the yard was a complete mess. I pulled everything except some hosta that were in good shape and tried planting some new hosta and then mulching. The new hosta (called green and gold hosta) are supposed to tolerate sun and shade (or so the little info thingie in the dirt of the pot said). Mine have been half dead all summer and into the fall. Some leaves die, some stay green. I've watered them, nurtured, them, gave them some miracle gro not too long ago. They are not happy.

So I figured maybe they are getting too much sun. The yard is part shade pretty much all day. there aren't any parts that are full sun or full shade, and i'd say it gets slightly more shade than sun overall. So, I got some wave petunias. They were plump full of flowers when i got them. A week after I put them in the yard? No flowers. Right now the plants are green, but there are zero petunias. So I'm wondering if they aren't getting enough sun. I still see a lot of wave petunias in full bloom, spilling out of their containers all over the city, so I know that it's not too late in the season for blooms.

Next year, what could I grow in this yard that will survive? It needs color. I'm thinking maybe impatiens? Do they need full shade only, or can they do part shade? I'd like something that blooms all summer and isn't very high maintenance.
    How recently did you plant everything? If it was very recent, thatcould be the problem. Petunias are a warmer weather annual. So when it starts cooling off, they are going to die off. The ones you're seeing blooming a lot still were probably planted early in the season, and have had all Summer to establish strong roots. If yours haven't, then the cooler weather will effect them faster.

On the hostas -- some are more sun friendly than others depending on the variety. But they're really more of a shade plant. They also die back at the end of the season, so they may just be starting the process of doing that. I woudlnt' worry about them until you see how well and strong they come back in the Spring.

onei0091
    I live in NE Iowa and last year I planted Hostas in a shady spot in my backyard. They did terrible and I actually thought they had died. This spring they popped up out of the ground and really did well. They still aren't very big, but they are looking healthy.

I don't know much about shade loving plants because most of my yard is pretty sunny. I've had real good luck with petunias and marigolds. But I always plant in the spring and if you continue to dead head the petunias they will bloom all summer.

I have a lot of hostas in a shady area, and some in a part sun, part area. The shaded ones are still doing quite well despite the drought we had from mid-July through end of August, but the ones in the partial sun are already dying back. I have found them to be extremely resilient and once established, easy to divide. I am in in NW Ohio though, so not as far north as Minnesota.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

We had a frost/freeze warning last night so I thought I'd better go pick the rest of the peaches. Now I have to process 3 bushels!!! Some are still a little green, so first I'll sort them into paper bags to ripen.
    Count your blessings!

I live in Southern Ontario and I don't think you can kill Hostas They love the humidity and grow like weeds. Mine are all in shade though.

That's what I thought, too. Leave it to me to kill an indestructable plant.

Something's weird about the yard. There were two dying arborvitae when I got the place, and one of the tenants told me that the last owner had mentioned she couldn't get anything to grow in that spot. Everything else in the yard was half alive, half dead. I thought maybe it was just for lack of care, but then I started wondering if it was the soil.

So, when I 'planted' my wave petunias, I actually bought clay pots of them and dug little holes and stuck the whole pot in the hole so it looks like they are planted but they really aren't. I was worried they'd die if they came in contact with the soil in the yard. They aren't dead, but they aren't flowering.

In the spot the gets mostly sun, I put zinnias. They are half alive half dead, too. I don't get it.

I'm going to pretty much give up at this point in the season. Hopefully my hosta will grow back stronger, and the others are annuals so that won't be an issue next summer. I'm wondering if it's shady enough for impatiens in that yard. The neighbor has really nice impatiens, and the lots are really small, so maybe I'll just copy what they've done and hope it works out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3201659;
    ...I thought maybe it was just for lack of care, but then I started wondering if it was the soil.
    Next spring you should pick up one of those kits from a garden centre for testing the PH balance/acidity of your soil. Some plants prefer one balance, but won't do well in another. Also, the soil may not have been upgraded in years. I've found from sad experience that if you don't dig in bags of poop or peat or triple-mix or whatever is needed fairly regularly, plants start doing poorly and no amount of Miracle Gro or its alternatives can make them do much better.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

You are probably situated over a zombie habitat
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread