+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 135 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Today's Lecture is

SEX EDUCATION

as it relates to pumpkins.

The photos show a male flower bud, a female flower bud, a male flower, and a female flower. The male bud and stem stand about six inches high; the female bud and stem is about 2-1/2 inches. Both flowers are about 6" across.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Teacher, Teacher!!!! And the bulge on the short stem of the female flower is actually called an ovary.

Newf, have you ever assisted the birds and the bees in the pollination process? I read somewhere that when the females bloom, you should detach a male flower or two and pull off its petals. Then you can shake the pollen directly into the female flower.

eta: I haven't grown pumpkins in years due to space, but it was always fun. We're growing sugar baby watermelons this year, but I don't think they'll ripen before frost. They're only about the size of a grapefruit.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

veejer gets 5 extra-credit points

I've tried 'artificial' pollination once or twice, but I'm not sure how helpful I was. Maybe I should have played some Barry White . . . I've had more bees this year than in years past, which I find encouraging--not so much in terms of pumpkin fertilization (I have some pretty fair-sized fruits on the vines) but in years past, bees have been almost non-existent and I've had to rely on other creepy-crawlies for the pumpkins.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

As a novice in the green thumb department, I've googled for the information but I'd like "real people" thoughts....

Mine is a 2 part question:

I LOVE daffodils and plan on planting a TON of them since I've moved to a house...never planted them before so does anyone have any tips/suggestions for me?

Also, I'm thinking about starting a small compost. I've got an area I can use but I don't know what to PUT in there along with how it should be stored. Is it better to build something with wood or buy something to store it in? How long should it take before getting "ready to use"?

Like I said, I'm a real novice on this stuff and maybe I'm reaching too big for something to start out with but I know my fellow FORTers can help me out!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

BB, plant your bulbs about October to November or so, and just put a little bone meal per hole;the expensive "bulb fertilizer" is unnecessary. If you dig up the bed and put your bulbs in prior top the end of October, you can plant Pansies on top and they will bloom all winter, and will still have flowers when the daffodils come through.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Oh, maybe if I can get moved and unpacked, I will have time to plant bulbs. I will have a big yard and right now it has BIG problems. I'm going to need a LOT of gardening advice soon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

bbnbama... I think you will find that daffodils are very easy to grow... just make sure you plant them the right way up (the pointy side up). You might want to try planting a few different varieties and see what you like best. (I think the double daffodils are beautiful, but they tend to be heavy and bend over.) The different varieties tend to flower at different times, so you'll have something new blooming for weeks in the spring. Also, head on over to gardenweb.com and check out the forums there - TONS of helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3197379;
    Also, I'm thinking about starting a small compost. I've got an area I can use but I don't know what to PUT in there along with how it should be stored. Is it better to build something with wood or buy something to store it in? How long should it take before getting "ready to use"?
    Having experienced both a homemade composting bin and a plastic purchased one, I highly recommend the plastic one if for nothing else then they seem to be more difficult for the raccoons to get into and are less inclined to rot and fall apart. We keep an old ice bucket with a hinged lid on our kitchen counter where we put ALL our organic waste through the day, including coffee grounds and tea bags, which we dump into the composter each evening. You shouldn't put meat or bones in there as they attract rodents (we do, but Mr. Rattus is a vegetarian and I don't eat enough meat to make much of a difference). How long it takes to be usable will depend on circumstances, primarily the temperature in your area. You need to get in there with a fork or a spade every once in a while to give it a turn (unless you buy one of the bins that can be spun on an axle), and you will be able to tell when it is usable - it will look like good black earth and won't stink like rotting vegetation.

Good luck.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

YES! This site has a thread for everything! Woo-hoo!!! Thank goodness there's one on gardening. I do NOT have a green thumb.

So, I recently moved from CA to MN. I am having a hard time getting anything to grow since I moved here. I recently bought a rental property, and the yard was a complete mess. I pulled everything except some hosta that were in good shape and tried planting some new hosta and then mulching. The new hosta (called green and gold hosta) are supposed to tolerate sun and shade (or so the little info thingie in the dirt of the pot said). Mine have been half dead all summer and into the fall. Some leaves die, some stay green. I've watered them, nurtured, them, gave them some miracle gro not too long ago. They are not happy.

So I figured maybe they are getting too much sun. The yard is part shade pretty much all day. there aren't any parts that are full sun or full shade, and i'd say it gets slightly more shade than sun overall. So, I got some wave petunias. They were plump full of flowers when i got them. A week after I put them in the yard? No flowers. Right now the plants are green, but there are zero petunias. So I'm wondering if they aren't getting enough sun. I still see a lot of wave petunias in full bloom, spilling out of their containers all over the city, so I know that it's not too late in the season for blooms.

Next year, what could I grow in this yard that will survive? It needs color. I'm thinking maybe impatiens? Do they need full shade only, or can they do part shade? I'd like something that blooms all summer and isn't very high maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3200213;
    YES! This site has a thread for everything! Woo-hoo!!! Thank goodness there's one on gardening. I do NOT have a green thumb.

So, I recently moved from CA to MN. I am having a hard time getting anything to grow since I moved here. I recently bought a rental property, and the yard was a complete mess. I pulled everything except some hosta that were in good shape and tried planting some new hosta and then mulching. The new hosta (called green and gold hosta) are supposed to tolerate sun and shade (or so the little info thingie in the dirt of the pot said). Mine have been half dead all summer and into the fall. Some leaves die, some stay green. I've watered them, nurtured, them, gave them some miracle gro not too long ago. They are not happy.

So I figured maybe they are getting too much sun. The yard is part shade pretty much all day. there aren't any parts that are full sun or full shade, and i'd say it gets slightly more shade than sun overall. So, I got some wave petunias. They were plump full of flowers when i got them. A week after I put them in the yard? No flowers. Right now the plants are green, but there are zero petunias. So I'm wondering if they aren't getting enough sun. I still see a lot of wave petunias in full bloom, spilling out of their containers all over the city, so I know that it's not too late in the season for blooms.

Next year, what could I grow in this yard that will survive? It needs color. I'm thinking maybe impatiens? Do they need full shade only, or can they do part shade? I'd like something that blooms all summer and isn't very high maintenance.

The front of this property faces West. I don't know if that matters or not.

+ Reply to Thread