+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I thought marigolds repelled bugs that liked tomatoes. I was always told to plant them together. I'm harvesting and processing grapes today. I need to make grape pie with what is still in the freezer from last year.
    Count your blessings!

Yay. You've been discussing roses!

My evil twin sinister has 5 rose bushes (small) in her new yard. She's planning on tearing them out. I think they have only been in for a couple of years. She says' they're buggy and she doesn't want to fuss with anything in the yard. I'd hate to see her just throw them away.

If I can dig them out, put them in pots with dirt to transport to my place, what can I do about the leaves being buggy and being eaten up when I've replanted them? Is there something simple that I can do that will help them survive and be healthy? Should they be planted together or separated with other plants in between? I have never successfully grown a rosebush.

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Sorry to double-post. Different question.

I bought 4 big huge bags of wood chips from Rona to put around my perrenials in the front and back yards. They are the Black wood chips. They are supposed to help with keeping moisture in, and weeds out.

My question is, when you have a bed of hostas, and ferns, that are surrounded by one of those really spreading plants, do I need to but the wood chips down in there too? Or will that stop the plants from spreading further or kill them? I've never used wood chips, any color before.

Is there anything that needs to be done before the snow falls on everything? Or do I wait until spring and then do a light clean up of leaves. Or can the leaves stay on top of the chips?

Thanks for any input!

FORT Fogey

I usually mulch (wood chips) in the Spring after the beds are cleaned out rather than in the Fall. If you mulch where you've got a ground cover, it will limit the spread of the groundcover somewhat -- how much depends on the size of the pieces of mulch. I've got a couple of beds with ground cover that I use soil conditioner that is a much finer mulch so that it still spreads. it really depends on the mulch, and also depends on what sort of ground cover you've got.

As far as what to do before the snow falls - it's somewhat a matter of personal preference. Some prefer to leave some leaves in the beds, because they can somewhat insulate perennials from the cold. Others believe that it's easier to clean out the beds in the Fall when the leaves are dry than in the Spring when they've started to decompose after being under the snow. I've done both, and found that neither really makes a huge difference - it's somewhat a question of whether you want an easy Fall or an easy Spring. From my own personal experience when I lived in snowy weather, I usually got bored with gardening by the time Fall rolled around, and was quite anxious to get out there and dig when the weather got warm. So I'd leave a lot of the junk in my beds in the Fall when I was feeling lazy, because it gave me something to do in the Spring when it was still too early to plant.

MRD

I cut the rose bush back and also my mint plant. Then I mixed up some miracle grow and hit both plants with it. In just a few days, I can see a HUGE difference in both plants.

This gardening stuff is really maddening. I think everything is fine and then all of a sudden, it's not anymore.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm going to put the black wood chips down before winter and let some leaves cover that and see what happens. I also prefer to clean up more in the spring than fall.

I'm hoping to take my sinisters rose bushes and replant them here overwinter and just see what happens. Maybe they'll survive. Maybe not. At least I've tried.

ACK! I'm being invaded my love bugs! Any southern FoRTers have any advice on how to get rid of a swarm of the nasty things? They've decided to make my back door area their mating grounds. I tried spraying everywhere with some household bug spray but I guess they just thought they were getting a shower, it did nothing. I know they're bad this time of year but it's honestly ridiculous how many of them there are crawling all over my back door with their behinds stuck together.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3190419;
    ACK! I'm being invaded my love bugs! Any southern FoRTers have any advice on how to get rid of a swarm of the nasty things? They've decided to make my back door area their mating grounds. I tried spraying everywhere with some household bug spray but I guess they just thought they were getting a shower, it did nothing. I know they're bad this time of year but it's honestly ridiculous how many of them there are crawling all over my back door with their behinds stuck together.
    I hate to say this, but there isn't anything that will get rid of them (except a car windshield ) I am so glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. I'm so sorry you are having too.

Well, after extensive research (2 google search results pages) I found a Yahoo! answers page about the same thing. Some farmer's daughter said to fill a spray bottle with warm water, then squirt in a shot of citrus dish soap and some Listerine. Luckily I had all of those things. Except the spray bottle. But I did have one of those Miracle Gro garden sprayer things. So I put a bunch of Lemon Joy in it and added about a half cup of Listerine. I plugged the hose in, waited for it to fill up, then started spraying the back of the house and the back door. It was kind of funny. My deck was all sudsy but it seemed to work! A few minutes later the bugs were back. Not as bad as before, though. And my back door area smells like lemons and mouthwash. Awesome!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Wow, never heard of that. Needed that advice for 40 something years and now that I dont' need it, it's there.

So glad you found something that worked. Lovebugs are horribly annoying. Thank god they don't bite or sting though.

+ Reply to Thread