+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 134 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Your garden looks great Rattus, and Gut: I wish I could help you berry pick since I enjoy it!! Question: I have some really large hostas in the front that I didn't get around to splitting in the spring (we had just moved in). Since they are so big, would it be okay to do it in the fall? I think I did it once several years ago and they did just fine, but I can't really remember.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3131443;
    Your garden looks great Rattus, and Gut: I wish I could help you berry pick since I enjoy it!! Question: I have some really large hostas in the front that I didn't get around to splitting in the spring (we had just moved in). Since they are so big, would it be okay to do it in the fall? I think I did it once several years ago and they did just fine, but I can't really remember.
    I had to do a few in the Fall last year when I was moving, and wanted to take some "family" hostas with me. They split and transplanted fine -- it was just more difficult to do. It's easier in the Spring when you can really see the distinctions between each clump of leaves, and the roots can be split easier. Doing it in the Fall, use a knife of something to make splitting them a bit easier.

I'm going to a friend's for lunch and bringing a fruit salad... watermelon (sans seeds) in small cubes, halved purple grapes with cut chunks of crystallized ginger marinated in them, red and black raspberries, and gooseberries. I took mint leaves out of the garden and bruised the veins in back with my thumbnail and placed them all around on top. It is in a white taureen with pink rose pattern and frilly details and the whole thing looks like a masterpiece. Yum!
    Count your blessings!

Sounds delicious, Gutmutter!

I love seeing pictures of everyone's gardens. I'm having trouble keeping office plants alive. If only they would meow or bark, it would be so much easier to remember to water them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3110352;
    Per misskitty (and misskitty, your garden is lovely), I'm posting a couple of pictures of my yard. Given the fact that it was nothing but a couple of squares of dirt, gravel and weeds early last spring, I have to say I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished so far, though I am far from done.
    This is the back yard. We have a spreading plum tree so it is very shady and all the plant life was chosen for foliage rather than blooms because in general, the flowers on shade loving plants are quite insignificant.
    And this is the front - sunny, so flowery.
    Meowza! Beautiful garden Rattus! Thanks so much for posting the pics. Perrenial shade plants and sun plants are so very different aren't they? I love your little quiet bench space and the fact that your front is so full of color and variety! Great job!

I'm still waiting to replant some shade perrenials that I had to dig out a couple of weeks ago. The gas company hasn't finished moving my meter to the outside and I've just got big hole by my house where it used to look pretty. I wish they'd hurry up before my plants go into shock.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Okay, I need some advice from more experienced gardeners. In mid- to late- spring, I planted some four 'o clocks in the planter in front of my house - not an above-ground planter: it runs the entire front of my house and already had a hedge and some roses when I moved in. It's been horribly hot lately and I've been having to water like crazy to keep everything alive. Everything I've planted, with the exception of the four 'o clocks is in containers - either hanging or sitting on the patio. I've been able to tell pretty well when the plants - a mix of herbs and flowers - need water and when they don't. BUT, the four 'o clocks are looking a bit sad. They're about 1.5 feet tall and have begun to droop. The leaves look fine, but the stalks are bending down from where they come out of the ground. Am I over-watering them (I generally have been giving them just a bit of water every day: I'm not flooding them out or anything) or are they needing more water? I realize it might be tough to "diagnose" without a picture (which I'm too lazy to take! ) Anyone have any suggestions?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I am not familair with Four o'clocks, so I can't speak to their water needs. But I can tell you that normally, plants in the ground need less water than plants in containers -- the ground can store more water whereas containers (especially plastic containers as opposed to clay that aborbs a bit of water too) is limited in how much water can be held.

Lots of plants will flop over due to the weight of the top of the flower -- especially in the first year that a perrenial is planted. So it is entirely possible that they're flopping over because the weight of hte top of the plant is heaver than the stalk has the strength to hold this year. My bee balm and brown-eyed susan which I planted this year have done that to me.

Critical, four-o-clocks are pretty tough and very heat tolerant, and they will not die just from without water for a few days, so I would cut back on water and see if they improved any. Since the roots aren't above ground, they will not dry out nearly so fast as your other things. Do remember, the days are getting shorter, so if you have had them all summer, it could just be the natural time for them to die off, especially if you haven't been dead heading them as much as you could. I can't believe Labor Day is in two weeks, but thought about it when I noticed my the other day that the sun has gone far enough South now that my formerly sunny all day veggie spot now has shade from the South several hours in the middle of the day. (Well, the sun really hasn't gone south, I know it's the earth's movement that gives the effect, but I assume everyone knows what I mean! )
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't watered them in a few days. I'll wait a few more days and see what happens. I haven't been dead-heading them because they haven't bloomed at all. We stay hot and sunny here until well into October, so I hope they don't die out too soon. I feel like they just started turning into actual plants! I'd love for them to flower at least once before winter.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I got a sweetheart rose back in Feb. and almost killed it. I transplated it to a large clay pot and it has come back rather well this summer. It really bushed out and had lots of blossoms.

But lately, it's lost all it's leaves again. It did better before we started getting a lot of rain. Do you think it's getting too much water? It seemed to do REALLY well in the high heat and less rain. Should I move it under cover now when it rains?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread